PDA

View Full Version : ":" colon comes out as a ";" semicolon randomly

1856chuckles
May 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Win XP
Girder 3.3.4

I'm trying to input the path and filename of a file to save and the ":" colon comes out as a ";" semicolon randomly. I thought it was predictable but it isn't. I also thought it may have something to do with the application I'm trying to do it in but then I tried the same action in others and got the same result. Searched through other threads and found multiple occurances of this problem but none were ever solved.

Any thoughts?
Ed

Promixis
May 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM
do you have some example code?

1856chuckles
May 12th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Hey Mike,
Sure... there's not a whole lot to it.

I'm trying to use the following path:

C:\1\movie.avi

It comes out as follows:

C;\1\movie.avi

I'm trying to use it in the Sentence of the Keyboard action of Girder. And I have the target on the Virtual Dub application. Also, to make sure it wasn't some combination of characters, I tried only using the ":". Sometimes I would actually get a ":" but more times over I'd get the ";". I looked for a pattern but couldn't find one. I tried this in the Virtual Dub application as well as Notepad. Same behavior in both.

I did find a way to work around this "bug/feature" and that was to type the "C", the sub-menu pops up with a list so then I would type "down" and select the C:\, then I could type the rest of the path.

Even though I figured out this work around, I would still like to see if there is a way to fix it as it takes longer then just putting in the path.

Thanks
Ed ;-)

ps -- I'm a little confused about using Lua. I've scanned through much of the documentation on Lua but I never really found out how exactly it hooks into Girder? Or how you get started using it with Girder? I'm not using it now or at least I don't think I am. ;-)

Promixis
May 12th, 2006, 06:12 PM
that is strange.... not sure why that is happening.

g3.3 documentation is sparse. the g4 manual is much better and will help you with g3.3. even if you do not want to upgrade.

1856chuckles
May 15th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I'll take a look at the G4 manual for the LUA stuff. As far as the :/; stuff, I'll just use my work around and write it off as an undocumented feature of Girder 3.3. ;-)

Thanks
Ed

1856chuckles
May 16th, 2006, 02:07 PM
OK after looking around through manuals and other stuff I finally managed to find out how to use LUA to script some stuff.

Here's what I found:

1) Make a new Command and highlight it
2) Go to the Girder action tab
3) From the pull down select Variable Manipulation Script
4) Click the Script button
5) New window pops up where you can enter in LUA statements and manipulate vaiables

This is all I've found on LUA. One thing I'm still not getting is a way to do conditionals. Like I set up notepad with a number in it. I can with Gider, grab the number and compare it to a known number in a LUA script. From there I would like to do branch depending on the number, to some other Girder action. I've been able to branch to another event by specifiying them in the Name field but it always defaults to the lower one.

I'm missing something, but I don't know what it is. Am I tring to do more than Girder has been designed to do?

Ed

birty
May 16th, 2006, 03:29 PM
conditionals are part of girder 4