PDA

View Full Version : Creating a C-Bus Plugin

GusKerr
May 31st, 2006, 01:13 PM
Whilst I am fairly new to the Promixis world, I have picked up a lot of hints and tips from the forum over the last month or so. One thing I think seems to happen is that "common" devices tend to get there own plugin.

(1) - Does it make sense to have one for C-BUS Devices ?

(2) - Do you have any standards etc around this ?

(3) - Would it be something that I should spend my time doing ?

Cheers

Gus

Rob H
May 31st, 2006, 02:16 PM
You may want to investigate the xAP route for this - there is a xAP-CBus hardware module, although details seem to be a bit sketchy at present ie I'm not sure if it's available to build/purchase. Otherwise, it sounds like a good idea to me.

GusKerr
May 31st, 2006, 06:36 PM
Had a look on Google for these combinations and think this is now old hat. C-Bus has moved on and has a full server module which makes it relatively easy to interface with Girder. To combine with a another protocol would seem to be a backward step so........

I think it makes sense to have a C-Bus Plugin.

Whilst I am unsure of the takeup in the UK I have to say it beats X10 hands down for flexibility and control although it is quite difficult to retro fit. There are at least three companies who stock the goods in UK so they can be purchased but the target market is very much the industrial big company. I think there is a great market for the consumer (like me) but there needs to be a simple route to getting it to work. This is a challenge for Girder as I think you do target the "programmer" and there needs to be a way of getting this to the "man in the street". This was my biggest challenge when starting to use Girder in that it needed a programming brain to make it work (+ lot of help from you guys). Now if this could all be packaged together so that the end consumer gets software, hardware and the flexibility I think this is a huge market for the future.

So if I want to create a Plugin can you give me some hints as to standards and typical functions to provide.

Cheers

Gus

Rob H
May 31st, 2006, 06:52 PM
I'll have to leave it to Mike to talk about standards. For now I'd recommend just getting Girder to talk to C-Bus. It's probably worth looking at the X10 stuff for a rough idea of the sort of things that would be useful.

I'd love to have C-Bus here, but it's not exactly a low cost option unless you're already having your whole house rewired (or a new build of course).

GusKerr
June 1st, 2006, 04:20 AM
Rob,

Already have the hard bit working (after help from you guys) - See http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14311

Mike if you can give me some pointers on how to take this forward that would be helpful..

Cheers

Gus

Promixis
June 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Gus,

It depends on what you want from the plugin.

Ie. Just events, and actions, or more complex device management.

Anyone have a link to the protocol?

GusKerr
June 2nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
I would like to build a plugin that controls all aspects of C-BUS. This means everything from switching / dimming devices like lights, switching on and off devices and gaining feedback from devices like sensors and the lights themselves. I have already written most of the code for my own Home Automation project so this is really about formalising it as a plugin and making sure I use the "best" code I can.

Cheers

Gus

Promixis
June 2nd, 2006, 08:51 PM
Cool.

We are doing a global device manager that will make much of this easier.

Can you tell me how devices work in c bus. ie do they have a unique id and can you track status in real time? Can a plugin enumerate all devices on the network or do you need to know about them manually?

GusKerr
June 3rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
Mike,

There are probably about 20 - 30 devices including:

Dimmer Lights
Switches (many types)
Relays
Temperature Sensors
Light Sensors
Movement Detectors
Input RelaysThe company is adding new devices all the time and it is an open architecture thus allowing this to happen. All devices can be addressed individually by using a unique set of numbers (e.g. 254/56/1) This is Network no 254, Device Group 56 and Device No 1.
All these values can be enumerated by issuing commands to the server. It is also possible to determine the state of any device (i.e. a light dimmer can have a value from 0 - 255 (off to on). In the same way a sensor can have a value determined by light or temperature.
Finally it is possible to capture changes in real time. As an example I have a display on Net Remote that shows the current value of all the lights. Sometimes this might be due to change from the NR device but it could also be that someone has changed a switch in the house. Either way the value is instantly updated due to a event being triggered.

As you will see it is quite a comnprehensive interface and seems to be the perfect device for creating a plugin for (I think).

A device driver seems like a great step forward so please feel free to use me as a guinea pig for testing this.

Regards

Gus

Promixis
June 4th, 2006, 09:36 PM
nice, wait until our device manager is up and then we will talk...

GusKerr
June 9th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Mike,

When are you likely to have a version of the Global Device manager to test (i.e. is it Jun, July, Q3 or Q4) ?

Gus