PDA

View Full Version : EA65 VFD - noob help please

tinners
June 14th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Hi, am new to Girder and am trying to get it working with the VFD on my cube.

I have the serial plugin loaded but it wont display any text. What am I missing ?

Thanks

Rob H
June 15th, 2006, 02:25 AM
I think you need the LCD Plugin - http://www.promixis.com/download.php?ID=608

tinners
June 15th, 2006, 04:22 AM
I have it installed but still no joy.

I can configure the COM2 and the right baud settings to match the com port config but cannot get any text displayed on the VFD using the LCD test app.

Rob H
June 15th, 2006, 04:56 AM
It may be one of the devices that isn't supported by the LCD plugin. Have you tried searching here for this device? e.g. search for EA65 VFD

tinners
June 15th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Yep, but only got info on remote control issues really, nothing great about VFD.

Mark F
June 15th, 2006, 09:21 AM
In this thread (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6957) BeatBox placed the contents of a device definition (.ini file) and a link to an AOpen document (ftp://ftp.aopen.nl/pub/xccube/ea65/manual/cube_commandset_for%20inet%20pub.pdf) that talks about showing stuff on the front panel. It doesn't look straight forward but I don't have one to try things on so ... :(

tinners
June 15th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah I just found that. Will give it a try tonight, thanks :)

tinners
June 15th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Partial success. Dont feel so much of a Noob now :)

Using BeatBox's config I can display text in the VFD !

I have tried sending the following:
A0008089202043454C54494320a -> displays CELTIC (Beatbox's demo string)
A0003380 -> Displays VFD VERSION
a0040480 -> CLEARS DISPLAY

They all work but after displaying one set of text I cant send anything else and the driver locks up with a "cant unload" error. I looked in the manual (ftp://ftp.aopen.nl/pub/xccube/ea65/manual/cube_commandset_for%20inet%20pub.pdf) but there doesnt seem to be such a command. The "clear display" command doesnt work when sent after another command.

So, a few more questions:

Is there something I need to do to "flush" the buffer or clear out the VFD before sending something else ?

I also managed to use the DVD plugin to display the DVD data in the virtual LCD (using the LCD Plugin). I did get errors about the version being wrong for Girder 3.3 - is there a newer version of the plugin ?

If I do get the VFD to accept multiple commands then I want to send the commands to it plus the "payload". i.e. the A0008089 then the [pld1] info from the DVD plugin. I looked at this (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1848&highlight=eiffel) post but it doesnt really make sense. How do I use the code examples ?

Thanks for your help. I really want to get this working as I have tried every other VFD solution - Aopen's own (does nothing), Frontview, LCDSmartie etc...

tinners
June 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Well a bit of effort and I think I have cracked it.

Using Girder 4.0 I have managed to get the serial plugin working correctly.

Using the following code I have managed to translate the pld1 into 9 character capitals hex with the required header to make the VFD know what is coming.

capstitle = string.upper(pld1)
shorttitle= string.sub(capstitle,1,9)
titlelength=string.len(shorttitle)
titlelength=math.bytetohex(titlelength)
hextitle=math.bytetohex(shorttitle)
lcdstring="a000808".. titlelength .. hextitle

I then send [lcdstring] to my VFD and bingo !

To do:

Understand how to code multiple commands in LUA i.e. Title and Duration and menus all need to run together
How to make it only send once (currently title gets sent 3 times (?)
How to get the duration to display (as this sends one command every second which back up on the com port)
How to implement the rest of Media Center's commands to display
To try and understand the rest of the bloody VFD SDK manual as it is bloody difficult !

I will beat this :)