PDA

View Full Version : Windows CE 4.2 issues

kurtlewis
August 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Reporting in a few issues I have experienced with NR on CE .NET 4.2

-zoom plugin does not load, causes error. Not included with the NR install for a reason / not meant to work?
-web pages do not open from within NR, CE prompts to download / save web page as file instead of opening in IE. This may be due to the version of .NET running on my CE client, am in process of updating it.
-Window toggles do not toggle visible in NR if the CCF has been saved in NRD with the toggle windows set to not visible. I must specifically make sure to set all toggled windows to visible in NRD before saving, then it works fine in NR.
-Avid utils does not load, causes error. Brian, do I need a specific version of your plugin for CE? This plugin is not included with the NR install.
-Playpick does not load, causes error. I'm sure this was not designed to work in CE, so this is a request to make compatable with CE. I miss not having it :)
-slow page changes / screen redraws, which may be due to the scaled down resources available on the CE device. It has 32mb of ROM / 400mhz x-scale proc / 128mb of SDRAM and is fairly perky with all other apps. Specs here: http://www.cmc.org.uk/XPilot/X-Pilot%20UK.pdf

Thanks all-
Kurt

kurtlewis
August 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Hi, just reporting in a few more issues with NR on CE 4.2

(still a problem)
-zoom plugin does not load, causes error. Not included with the NR install for a reason / not meant to work? I really need this to work since I use ZoomPlayer.
-web pages do not open from within NR, CE prompts to download / save web page as file instead of opening in IE. I updated to .Net framework latest service pack for 4.2 - Same problem, no change. Web pages open fine in IE6 on the CE client outside of NR.

(new problems)
-NR on CE4.2 does not control my serial devices through Girder. Girder sees the CE client but does not receive any commands from the client.
My settings in NR are the same as my XP-based client.
The CE client does get the serial feedback from Girder, for example when I change the volume from my XP-based client the changes reflect in the CE client NR display as well. I just cant send any commands out to Girder.

-When adding IR 'passthrough to girder' instance, it keeps inserting an IP that is not on my network. There is no option to specify the Girder server IP (which is 192.168.1.50), and it keeps inserting it's own IP of 192.168.1.70 (this is not an IP on my network). I have auto-discovery set to off, and the default host set to 192.168.1.50. I have deleted the instance of IR and re-added it again several times. It keeps putting in the .70 IP.

Brian, any word on a 4.2-compatable version of your plugin?

kurtlewis
August 13th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Update:
(new problems)
-NR on CE4.2 does not control my serial devices through Girder. Girder sees the CE client but does not receive any commands from the client.
My settings in NR are the same as my XP-based client.
The CE client does get the serial feedback from Girder, for example when I change the volume from my XP-based client the changes reflect in the CE client NR display as well. I just cant send any commands out to Girder.
*Update: I installed Girder 4.0.6 and when I execute a serial command from the CE NR client, Girder keeps logging '0 3 1' every time I press any serial command button. So it is now seeing something from the CE client, but something is definitely wrong. MB commands, etc seem to work fine. Serial commands from my NR XP clients work fine.
**Update #2: Girder is no longer listing the '0 3 1' - it's not listing anything from the CE client.
One more thing I discovered today is none of the calls back to Girder GMLs seem to work. I just set up my X10 (CM15a) and none of these commands are received by Girder from the CE client either (but works fine from XP NR clients). It seems only weather and MB are communicating properly to Girder -as well as the serial feedback display for my Arcam receiver volume, mode, etc.. odd?? I did triple-check all NR properties settings.
***Update #3: Fixed this per Nurowolf's suggestion to set the girder instance to (-2101). Serial / GML commands work fine now.

-When adding IR 'passthrough to girder' instance, it keeps inserting an IP that is not on my network. There is no option to specify the Girder server IP (which is 192.168.1.50), and it keeps inserting it's own IP of 192.168.1.70 (this is not an IP on my network). I have auto-discovery set to off, and the default host set to 192.168.1.50. I have deleted the instance of IR and re-added it again several times. It keeps putting in the .70 IP.
*update: I fixed this by setting the IR instance to Global Cache, then setting the correct IP, then changing the setting to use Girder Passthrough. I guess this is a bug, as the .70 address is the default used by NR in the GC Passthrough setting.

avid
August 13th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Reporting in a few issues I have experienced with NR on CE .NET 4.2

-zoom plugin does not load, causes error. Not included with the NR install for a reason / not meant to work?
-Avid utils does not load, causes error. Brian, do I need a specific version of your plugin for CE? This plugin is not included with the NR install.
-Playpick does not load, causes error. I'm sure this was not designed to work in CE, so this is a request to make compatable with CE. I miss not having it :)
@Ben,

What do I need to be able to build for 4.2??

Brian

kurtlewis
August 15th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Hi Ben- When you have some time, may I please receive some assistance with issues in my post #1 and #3 above? I would really like to get my CE tablet NR client working to control my system. I am unable to figure these issues out.

Many thanks!
Kurt

kurtlewis
August 15th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Brian- Will this help? Link to CE 4.2 SDK http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a08f6991-16b0-4019-a174-0c40e6d25fe7&displaylang=en
[/URL]
Link to CE 4.0 to 4.2 eMbedded Visual C++ kit [URL]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1DACDB3D-50D1-41B2-A107-FA75AE960856&displaylang=en (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a08f6991-16b0-4019-a174-0c40e6d25fe7&displaylang=en)

avid
August 15th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Brian- Will this help? Link to CE 4.2 SDK http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a08f6991-16b0-4019-a174-0c40e6d25fe7&displaylang=en

Thank Kurt,

But what I need are 4.2 libraries for the NR SDK from Ben - together with specifics of what version of the compiler and MS SDK he has built them for.

Brian

Ben S
August 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Hi Brian - Sorry for the delay on this one.

I compile the 4.2 version using EVC 4.0. It's kind of a pain supporting two projects (one for each 3.0 and 4.0) so I use nant for this task. I can send you my nant build files if that would help, but for now, you'll need to install eVC 4.0 along with eVC 3.0 (unfortunately).

Ben S
August 15th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Oh, I see. I'll also send you the NRSDK for eVC 4.0. Sorry about that.

avid
August 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Oh, I see. I'll also send you the NRSDK for eVC 4.0. Sorry about that.
Great - you've spotted my problem! :D

Brian

nurowolf
August 15th, 2006, 09:08 PM
@kurt

I have the same CE4.2 device as you, and originally had problems with Girder not responding to my NR CE4.2 commands. However my XP Client was working fine.

This had me stumped for about 3 days. I finally found the answer by looking into the properties. My Girder instances (number) where different between my CE Client and my XP client.

I simply add an instance of Girder to my CE device that was exactly the SAME instance number as my XP Client - and hey presto - everything worked.

Maybe this will work for you.

kurtlewis
August 16th, 2006, 02:08 AM
@kurt

I have the same CE4.2 device as you, and originally had problems with Girder not responding to my NR CE4.2 commands. However my XP Client was working fine.

This had me stumped for about 3 days. I finally found the answer by looking into the properties. My Girder instances (number) where different between my CE Client and my XP client.

I simply add an instance of Girder to my CE device that was exactly the SAME instance number as my XP Client - and hey presto - everything worked.

Maybe this will work for you.

Nurowolf- Sheer genius!
I tried adding girder instances one at a time (the first instance number created is (-1)) until I hit (-2101) - Then everything worked, but only with instance number 2101!
Now that the CE client is communicating properly with Girder, it will be interesting to see if it begins exhibiting the same 'mystery' crash behavior as my XP clients.

Many thanks for sharing your fix!
Kurt

nurowolf
August 16th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Gald I could help.

But do you know what is really strange is that that is the exact instance number that I needed for my CE device to work.

Good luck

Ben S
August 20th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Sorry about that, Brian. Here (http://www.promixis.com/download.php?id=993) is the new 2.0 SDK that includes libs for CE.net 4.2

avid
August 20th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Sorry about that, Brian. Here (http://www.promixis.com/download.php?id=993) is the new 2.0 SDK that includes libs for CE.net 4.2
Thanks Ben,

Are there any differences in the project settings required. On a trivial port from a eVC3 to eVC4 project, I get the errors:
ompiling...
AvidUtilsDriver.cpp
Linking...
uafxwce.lib(afxmem.obj) : error LNK2005: "void * __cdecl operator new(unsigned int)" (??2@YAPAXI@Z) already defined in coredll.lib(COREDLL.dll)
uafxwce.lib(afxmem.obj) : error LNK2005: "void __cdecl operator delete(void *)" (??3@YAXPAX@Z) already defined in coredll.lib(COREDLL.dll)
uafxwce.lib(afxmem.obj) : warning LNK4006: "void * __cdecl operator new(unsigned int)" (??2@YAPAXI@Z) already defined in coredll.lib(COREDLL.dll); second definition ignored
uafxwce.lib(afxmem.obj) : warning LNK4006: "void __cdecl operator delete(void *)" (??3@YAXPAX@Z) already defined in coredll.lib(COREDLL.dll); second definition ignored
Creating library ARMV4Rel/AvidUtils42.lib and object ARMV4Rel/AvidUtils42.exp
nrlibrary.lib(driver_header.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol SysAllocString referenced in function "public: __cdecl PluginAction::PluginAction(int,int,unsigned short const *,unsigned short const *,unsigned short const *)" (??0PluginA
ction@@QAA@HHPBG00@Z)
nrlibrary.lib(driver_header.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol SysFreeString referenced in function "public: __cdecl PluginAction::~PluginAction(void)" (??1PluginAction@@QAA@XZ)
ARMV4Rel/AvidUtils42.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

Any ideas? It looks to me that I am missing some symbol definitions in the project.

Brian

Ben S
August 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Hi Brian -
Yes, looks like some fundamental changes. You didn't try to just open the project in evc4, did you? That screws it up, for some reason. It loses all of your definitions of includes and libraries.

Have you used nant? If so, I'll send you my build files for the PPC version that work with both evc3 and evc4.

avid
August 20th, 2006, 12:44 PM
No - I left the eVC3 project alone and created a new eVC4 project with the same source files, and set the C++ and Link options to what seemed appropriate. I obviously missed something.

Your NANT files would help even if I end up with the standard eVC projects. At least then I can see what options/settings you use.

Thanks

Brian

Ben S
August 20th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Okay. On their way, Brian.

avid
August 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM
Kurt (and Ben and anyone else interested)

The good news is that the plug-ins all build now for CE42. The bad news is that I have no way of testing them!!!

So they are attached. But if they don't work, I'm not sure what I can do. So fingers are crossed!

Brian

avid
September 16th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Kurt and Ben,

I have heard no more about this.

Can I consider it sorted, the issue closed, and that any needed 4.2 DLLs will go in the NR distribution?

Or are there other aspects which still need to be changed?

Brian

Ben S
September 16th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Hi Brian -
Yes, on my side consider it closed, I'll have the plugins added to future installs of the CE42 version.

Thanks!

kurtlewis
October 19th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Hello Brian and Ben- I've been away for a while working on business projects, had to lay down the home automation playtime for a bit.
I'm really stoked to see the new CE builds posted- I will try them out in the next couple of weeks and report back. Again, many thanks guys.

-Kurt

kurtlewis
February 12th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Hi Brian - Long time, hope all has been well.
I finally got time to pick back up with my NR and CE4.2 device. Noticed that in the new .88 CE4.2 install that Drv_zoom.dll crashes NR, it will not start unless I remove / rename the dll.
Scroll text does not function (not implemented yet?)
Playpick driver is not included in default install- do you know if it works now on the 4.2 devices?

Many thanks-
Kurt

Kurt and Ben,

I have heard no more about this.

Can I consider it sorted, the issue closed, and that any needed 4.2 DLLs will go in the NR distribution?

Or are there other aspects which still need to be changed?

Brian

kurtlewis
February 12th, 2007, 12:32 AM
So I've been testing everything tonight-
The three earlier posted drivers all cause the .88 version of CE4.2 NR to not start.
The error is something about the files not able to use "Get Factory", if that makes sense to you. Then followed by an exception error and shutdown of NR.

The version dll of avid utils installed with .88 loads fine, but scroll text still is not implemented. If I use my same ccf on my xp tablet with default install of .88 NR, scrolling works fine.

Ben / Brian- Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I initially bought NR to run on my CE tablet, and I've been waiting a very very very very very very very long time to have these features work. Can either of you help? I'm glad to be the test guinea pig.

Thanks in advance-
Kurt

Kurt (and Ben and anyone else interested)

The good news is that the plug-ins all build now for CE42. The bad news is that I have no way of testing them!!!

So they are attached. But if they don't work, I'm not sure what I can do. So fingers are crossed!

Brian

kurtlewis
February 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM
just a bump - anything I can do to help let me know

kurtlewis
February 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I "fixed" the scrolling text issue - I re-installed NR and it started working... I don't know what the specific fix was.. but it works. just an fyi.

other issues still present-

Plus noticed new issue:
In the NR girder plugin properties, all of the property fields are blank. My CE4.2 NR is connected and functional w/ Girder, so the blank property fields definitely seems to be just a UI bug.
Connection is listed as 'static' - clicking 'test' does nothing.

avid
April 15th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Kurt (and anyone else interested),

Ben and I *finally* got the driver build issues resolved today. So here are distributions for AvidUtils, Zoom and PlayPick that should include CE42 builds.

As before, they are untested as I don't have a CE42 machine. But I can't see why they *shouldn't* work.

Brian

kurtlewis
April 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Brian and Ben- Thank you very much. I will test out and report back.

Ben S
April 18th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Any luck, Kurt?

kurtlewis
April 18th, 2007, 09:30 PM
sorry ben- have had a slamming week at work, sold my car, bought another one, girfriend is sick, dog barfed all over house, and my website is getting inundated with new customers... I promise I will make time to test the new plugins out by this weekend!

kurtlewis
April 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM
ok- i dropped everything for a few and installed the plugins- everything seems to work fine so far! (hooray)-
i'm going to pop in a few ripped movies using ZP and PP plugins and will let you know how it goes. Nice work!!!

for the PPC and win32 versions, anything updated in them or same?

kurtlewis
April 19th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Ben / Brian- the only issue I have noted thus far is, I cannot get the time and chapter info from ZP to display in NR.
-Time does not count and stays at 0
-Chapter stays at 1 even though I can skip chapters with the controls.
Basically any text-based feedback from zoom is not showing up back to NR. However, all transport controls work fine.
Verified all settings in zoom plugin and ZP (running latest version of ZP).

PlayPick works excellent!!!

avid
April 19th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Ben / Brian- the only issue I have noted thus far is, I cannot get the time and chapter info from ZP to display in NR.
-Time does not count and stays at 0
-Chapter stays at 1 even though I can skip chapters with the controls.
Basically any text-based feedback from zoom is not showing up back to NR. However, all transport controls work fine.
Verified all settings in zoom plugin and ZP (running latest version of ZP).

PlayPick works excellent!!!

Weird - I need to think what could affect ZP in this way, while PP (which uses the same mechanisms IIRC) works fine. And this appears to be on CE42 only as well - very odd.

Brian

kurtlewis
April 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Brian-
There is always to odd chance that something in my ccf is jacked- but it does work on my win32 tablet.. so let me poke around with it a bit further and see if I find any differences on the CE tablet ccf

kurtlewis
April 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM
Brian / Ben-
I tested out the 3 new plugins on my win32 NR clients and the ZP counter values and text work fine- same identical ccf on all win32 and CE clients.
It only seems to be an issue with the CE ZP driver on the CE NR client.
So, all ZP controls work under CE but the text and counters from ZP do not display.

No issues noted with Avid Utils or Playpick on CE. Both work great.

avid
April 22nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the research Kurt.

I'll investigate - though as I don't have a CE42 machine, all I can do is to re-read my code looking for clues. However, the fact it is OK for AvidUtils and PlayPick should certainly tell me *something*.

Brian

avid
April 23rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
I'll investigate - though as I don't have a CE42 machine, all I can do is to re-read my code looking for clues. However, the fact it is OK for AvidUtils and PlayPick should certainly tell me *something*.
Hmmm. I can't spot anything obviously different.

Can you turn on logging for the Zoom plug-in (in its properties) and see if there is any relevant activity in the log file. I am assuming (Ben?) that the CE42 NR will put it as a text file alongside the code, the same as for CE30.

Thanks

Brian

kurtlewis
April 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Guys- I got it to work.
I wiped the ZP and Avid plugin instances and re-created them, then the test and counter info started working in ZP.
I think this has something to do with glitchynes of the plugins property UI in CE. There is no host / connection information displayed for each plugin and the 'test' button does not work. So i'm finding that many of my CE connectivity issues to MB and NR are due to the plugin instances.
All in all, everything is working- But any newcomer putting NR on a CE device is going to have *fun* setting it up initialy to make it work with Girder and plugins.
For example, you need to keep creating girder plugin instances until you hit a specific plugin instance number, then it works.

Hmmm. I can't spot anything obviously different.

Can you turn on logging for the Zoom plug-in (in its properties) and see if there is any relevant activity in the log file. I am assuming (Ben?) that the CE42 NR will put it as a text file alongside the code, the same as for CE30.

Thanks

Brian

avid
April 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Well, I'm obviously glad it all works for you. Cos it means that all I need to do in future is compile the same code with the eVC4 compiler to get a CE42 version - I would be unable to test anything on that platform.

I see your concern about the plug-in instances. It's never been a problem for me on my Axim, so I will stand back and let Ben take it from here.

Brian

kurtlewis
April 24th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cool- I'm glad I could humbly assist.
I greatly appreciate your plugins Brian, you do nice work!