PDA

View Full Version : Overview or Block Diagram

legolad
August 15th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Hey folks,

New guy here, but not new to AV or technology. I'm trying to piece together this control scheme you folks are talking about and was wondering if you can point me to an overview or block diagram of all the components, the signal flow, and the associated protocols.

For example, if I want to use a Tablet PC as my control device, I run NetRemote on the tablet and the tablet communicates with my HTPC via wi-fi. The HTPC runs Girder and USB-UIRT and handles the comms to/from my home theater devices.

I'm just trying to get a high-level view of what folks are doing before I dig all the way into any one area.

I'm very excited about the possibilities here and am looking forward to learning a lot more.

Thanks,
Legolad

legolad
August 18th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Was my question too confusing? Too broad?

I'm asking for something pretty simple. I just want to know the most basic structure of one of these setups. I don't need very much detail....just something like this:

TABLET PC
- runs Windows
- runs NetRemote
- communicates with HTPC over wifi

HTPC
- runs Windows
- runs Girder
- COMPONENT: USB UIRT device
- Accepts commands from Tablet PC via Wifi
- Processes commands via Girder to USB UIRT
- Outputs commands via USB UIRT
- output of USB UIRT controls home theater equipment, lights, etc.

Am I even close to what you folks are doing?

Ben S
August 18th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Hi Legolad -
Sorry for the delay.

Sounds like you've got it 100%.

Note that Girder can also control devices via RS-232, software, etc. not just USB-UIRT.

legolad
August 18th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Hi Legolad -
Sorry for the delay.

Sounds like you've got it 100%.

Note that Girder can also control devices via RS-232, software, etc. not just USB-UIRT.

No worries. I just figured maybe my question was either too broad or too stupid. ;)

Thanks for the reply. Now that I know I've got the pieces right, it's time to dig in and start learning this stuff. If anyone knows of a good beginners guide, I'd love to hear about it. Same goes for anyone's "gotchas" or lessons learned.

Thanks again, Ben!

Legolad

Promixis
August 18th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Hi,

Let us know what you want to do first (post in a new thread) and we will get your started.