PDA

View Full Version : Need Philips TSU(7000 or others) help

carhaug
September 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I'm just about to buy a TSU7000 (RU980 in Europe I think).

I was just wondering if you are able to do as much with it as a PDA. I know that you have ALOT of possibilities programming the thing, but can you get data like covers and stuff from the PC to the TSU? Can you use Netremote on the TSU?

And are there any RF recievers that works great with TSU7000?

Sorry if the questions are dumb. I'm a bit of newbie on remotes.

Promixis
September 4th, 2006, 06:14 PM
The advantage of a PDA is that it is two way. So if you want to browse your media library etc remotely, the PDA is the way to go.

carhaug
September 5th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Yea. Thats what I was afraid of...

When the PDA don't use RF (I have never seen one) and you have to stay in the same room, I don't see the HUGE benefit of a 2 way communication with the PDA.
That is, if you program the remote good enough. Then you might be able to control the HTPC good enough with the projector turned off too I guess.

Rob H
September 5th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Well, for example you can browse your media files on the PDA, showing covers, artist information. You can have live news feeds, weather, stock information.
You can have two-way control of lighting etc.

carhaug
September 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Yepp. It depends how blind you are willing to be.
But when it aint got any RF, only IR, you are not gonna be able to go far away from the HTPC anyway. So I guess it will be about the same.
Crap

Rob H
September 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I'd have thought that most modern PPCs would have WiFi built in or at least easily supported with plugin card.

carhaug
September 6th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Oh crap. Did'nt think about that.

Why the HELL have I used 5 years on my IT degree??!?
Thanks

tmorten
September 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM
As a former Pronto user, I can say that I find the NR solution vastly superior. Some of the things that I do via wi-fi with NetRemote (that I couldn't do with my Pronto):

1. Browse album covers directly from my media server (via MediaBridge)
2. Channel guide showing what's currently on TV (via Girder/xmltv plug-in/NR TV Guide plug-in)
3. The state of which lights are currently on/off, and the ability to schedule them (via Girder/PowerLincUSB plug-in)
4. My thermostat settings including current temp for inside and for the pool (via Girder/PowerLincUSB plug-in)
5. The current weather and forecast (via Girder/Dan's Weather plug-in)
6. The state of my alarm and its various zones (via Girder/PowerLincUSB plug-in)

Others are doing even more...

Ultimately, it was the lack of MP3 browsing on the Pronto that killed me. Even with utilities like SuperNudelist which help automate creating Pronto MP3 menus, you have to update your Pronto CCF evertime you add an album, and you have to add the album covers manually. After a few months of that, the virtues of NetRemote/MediaBridge quickly become apparent. Also, even after multiple rounds of revision by the Pronto team, I still found the Pronto tools lacking. NetRemote Designer is a breath of fresh air by comparison.

Lastly, I found the RF extenders for the Pronto to not be reliable. They were very susceptible to inteference from devices like my XBox, and macros would frequently not get fully executed. By comparison, using NetRemote with GlobalCache GC-100's has made my macros much more bulletproof.

Best,
Tim