PDA

View Full Version : You guy's thought about Sony PSP for Netremote

rickd
September 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM
That would offer an interesting option

Mastiff
September 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM
But don't companies have to pay bloodmoney to get the SDK and compilers for that thing?

toml0006
September 9th, 2006, 03:40 PM
As a console developer I can't speak for the PSP, but the PS3 vs XBox360 dev kits are tremendous. I can't imagine Sony ever allowing something like this on the PSP since it would actually be useful.

Personally, I would like to see a NetRemote NintendoDS cart with built-in IR transmitter. With the touchscreen and good wi-fi coverage, as well as longer battery life, this would be a very nice platform for a home automation controller. Having 3 of them around my house and 1 PSP, the DS's have long outlived the PSP with kids around.

Ben S
September 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately we're heavily dependent on the Microsoft API right now, so a port is probably unlikely to anything outside of PPC or Windows. Sorry guys.

toml0006
September 10th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Just wishful thinking :)

tmorten
September 11th, 2006, 08:00 PM
As a PSP developer, I can confirm that I don't think Sony would ever allow it. Cool idea though! Tom, what game company do you work for? It's great to see a fellow developer using NR!

danward79
September 11th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Could you do something with either the girder or nr webserver?

toml0006
September 12th, 2006, 12:30 AM
As a PSP developer, I can confirm that I don't think Sony would ever allow it. Cool idea though! Tom, what game company do you work for? It's great to see a fellow developer using NR!

I work for Destineer Studios out of Minneapolis MN as a Tools Engineer (forever trying to please the artist and designers). We are currently working on a 360 title due to ship around X-mas '07. How about you?

tmorten
September 12th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I'm envious of getting to work on 360! I work at Savage Entertainment in LA... we just wrapped Scooby Doo on PSP, and we're now wrapping up the multiplayer for Medal of Honor:Airborne on PS2. I met some Destineer folks at the last GDC, and they seemed like a very nice group of people.

In response to Dan, there's already a browser available for PSP, so connecting to the web servers should be no problem -- it's just porting NR that I think they would object to. For whatever reason, Sony seems to frown on non-game applications on their device that aren't written by them...

Best,
Tim