View Full Version : video intercom

September 13th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I understand that this is probably the wrong place for this question, but I am not sure where to ask it.
I would love to be able to access my intercom at the front door though my PDA as part of netremote, to save me running back to the wall panel. Does anybody have any clues on where I should start to look.

September 15th, 2006, 10:13 AM
What kind of intercom is it? I've done some thinking about how to accomplish this, but I haven't actually tried to implement yet.

Three possible ideas:
1. Use an Axis camera with microphone and speaker at your front door, and then use Axis Camera Explorer to stream to a PDA or UMPC (which can be launched from NetRemote). I'm not sure if they handle audio on PDA's yet, or whether bi-directional audio has been implemented, but I believe they were working on it.
2. Put a web camera with microphone and speaker at your front door connected to a PC, and then use Skype to communicate with a PDA or UMPC (launched from NetRemote). I'm not sure how well Skype video works on PDA, but I know they're working on it.
3. Have a traditional videocamera at your front door connected to a SlingBox, and then use the SlingBox client to stream to a PDA or UMPC (launched from NetRemote). This has the drawback of only being one-way... you'd have to use another solution to talk back.

Anyone have other ideas? Anyone tried any of these?

September 19th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Hi Tmorten,

Thank you for your feedback.
The system in BPT OPHERA. I can't find out too much about it, but I have found that they have a module that can output a TV signal. Therefore I was thinking of running the signal to a Turner card in a PC and trying to do something with girder that when a signal was received it was routed to the PDA. Could this work??

September 23rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
If it outputs a TV signal, you could run a media streaming app on your Girder PC and then view it in a media player on your PDA (I've heard of others doing this). If you're willing to spend a bit, I think SlingBox has a composite in that can stream to their PDA client. Both solutions would be one-way (you can see/hear them, but they can't see/hear you).

October 4th, 2006, 10:55 AM
This might interest you

here is the link: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=72937&catGroupId=25097&modelNo=BB-HCM331A&surfModel=BB-HCM331A&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702#footnote

October 5th, 2006, 05:54 PM
It looks amazing and exactly what I need, though I am I sort of hoping I can hack into my exist BPT ophera intercom to save puting in an extra camera at the front door.
thank you