PDA

View Full Version : Interfacing to NetRemote

Dave T
September 15th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I sent Ben an email a couple of days ago and haven't heard back. Maybe someone else can help me?

I have a C++ application running on the same machine as Media Center, that I use to control my home theater (source switching and volume control in different zones, etc) I'd like to have the NetRemote client talk to it to do volume control and source switching (with zone selection). Ideally, I'd like to leverage the very nice CCF that NetRemote defaults with. I don't want to use Girder. What's the easiest way to do this? Previously, I had added extensions to NRIRServ to do this, but I guess those have been removed :-(.

Ben had told me about a year ago to create a custom plugin. I haven't gotten around to doing this until now, and not sure if things have changed...

Thanks!

- Dave

Promixis
September 15th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Dave, you could do a mediabridge plugin in C#.

However, I gotta ask, why not use Girder. Its gotta be an easier solution.

Dave T
September 15th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Ok, thanks. I'll look into the MediaBridge plugin API.

Why not use Girder? I know C# very well, don't know Girder at all. I looked into Girder briefly a while back, and it seemed kind of difficult to debug. Plus, I think it would be easier to interface from C# to my C++ application. And, Girder would be yet another app running on the HTPC. I think Girder looks way cool to use for a lot of this stuff, especially if you're not a professional programmer already. But if you've already got programming skills in another language, it might make less sense to learn it.

So those are my reasons... maybe not the best reasons, but there you go.

- Dave

Promixis
September 15th, 2006, 08:54 AM
What is your C++ app talking to/controlling?

Dave T
September 15th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Ok, you asked - it controls all my hardware - a JVC video projector, a Panasonic Plasma on an Inca lift, an electric projector screen, two surround processors, a multizone amplifier, a multizone source switcher, two Tivo's, a DVD player, a VCR, yada yada yada. It's mostly through RS232, but I also have a couple of RedRat IR I/O devices. It also manages things like turning on the projector and lowering the screen when you insert a DVD. And a bunch of other stuff.

Promixis
September 15th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Wow!

Well, you definitely could move it to Girder. The lua side of the serial stuff is pretty easy for most protocols, and lua really is an easy to learn and very powerful language. Plus some of the stuff we likely support already. Would remove the headaces of you having to communicate between your app and the MB

Also, with the stuff in Girder you would be able to control it using NR or the web browser.

Dave T
September 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I thought that might be where you were going. It may not sound like much, but you'll have to take my word for it - this app is a huge amount of code. Porting it to Girder would be about 1000 times as much work as doing the MediaBridge plugin, and wouldn't buy me anything. (It's already controllable via the web.) I think I'll stick with what I have and write the MB plugin instead of getting into a port.

Promixis
September 15th, 2006, 09:31 AM
sounds resonable. let us know how to help the MB side.

Ben S
September 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Hi Dave -
I think you still have the MediaBridge sample I sent you awhile ago. Let me know if you don't still have that and I can try to find it and send it again.