PDA

View Full Version : Convert IR (from USBUIRT) to RF to control X-10 devices

hpbjorn
September 25th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Hi,

I'm pretty new to the smarthome concept and Girder/netremote, but been spending a few hours already. What I'd like to do is to control some lights and other A/V devices in my livingroom (and other rooms). I'm already using NetRemote, Girder and UIRT to control my Hi-Fi system and HTPC in the livingroom, but I'd like to expand this a bit to have more zones. I've taken a look at the Powermid IR/RF and RF/IR transmitters and recievers. Will they do the trick? My big question though, is whether it's possible to store RF codes (to control X-10) as IR codes in Girder? I need to learn Girder the RF codes from the X-10 remote and send these codes out as IR from the HTPC via UIRT and subsequently the Powermid will convert the IR signals to RF. Is this possible?

I'm looking at these scenarios:

1. Netremote --> WiFi --> Girder --> UIRT --> RF --> X-10 devices
2. Netremote --> WiFi --> Girder --> UIRT --> RF --> IR --> A/V devices

I know (99%) the latter will work, but not about no. 1. I sent an email to a Norwegian company here in Oslo (Sense-Matic) and they suggested a product called HomeVision - but it seems to be a bit overkill. I think Girder can cope with much of its functionality anyway.

The only thing about the Powermids is that I think they are ugly. Are there any other devices out there that are a bit more "discrete"? If I buy both Powemids (RF-->IR I IR-->RF) I guess I can use them "in reverse" to learn Girder the X-10 codes to control the X-10 devices?

Hope you experinced ones have som answers for me. :)

Hans Petter

danward79
September 25th, 2006, 04:02 AM
for you scenario number 1 why not use??

1. Netremote --> WiFi --> Girder --> X-10 devices

for number 2 I would use.

2. Netremote --> WiFi --> Girder --> IR Trans Ethernet or Global Cache--> A/V devices

hpbjorn
September 25th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Hi,

Sounds good. But how? I would like to to avoid all the cluttery cabling and control them wirelessly. I guess one can control X-10 via some serial interface?

I'm thinking of buying some cheap wireless powerswitches that can receive signals from a supplied RF remote. And with Girder control these.

I may be missing something in your post, but I cannot see how to skip the RF step when doing this setup wirelessly.

Pls bear with me :)

HP

tmorten
September 25th, 2006, 11:52 AM
You're going to have to connect an external device to your PC to control X10, whether it's via RF, or directly over the powerline. IMO, you're better off going directly over the powerline, as this removes a potential point of failure (RF is susceptible to interference), and expands your flexibility (most RF receivers only control a single house code).

I use a USB device made by SmartHome.com called the PowerLincUSB -- I'm not sure about its compatibility with European systems however. There is a fully featured plug-in for the PowerLinc which is compatible with the Girder X10 manager, and can also be interfaced directly via LUA.

danward79
September 25th, 2006, 01:01 PM
You would need to use the likes of a cm11 or cm12 in europe for the x10 stuff. This is connected via serial, and plugs into the wall near your girder machine.

for the rf stuff, I personally would skip this and run a cat 5 cable to the location you wish the ir, it is cheap and normally fairly easy. This just connects to you home network.

Alternatively you may wish to investigate the use of a wifi access point, or lan over the power line. I am not sure how well this works with x10 thou on the same power line.

b_weijenberg
September 25th, 2006, 01:46 PM
True, for X10 the CM11 is the best choice.
For RF only devices like KlikOn-KlikOff, Ikea-Koppla or Harrison electrical curtain you can use the 60005 RFXCOM RF transmitter. see www.rfxcom.com
This transmitter can also send X10 RF codes but as said before, RF is not very reliable and the CM11 powerline interface is a better choice.
The powerline interface is for X10 also faster because when using RF you have the transmission delay for RF plus the powerline delay.

Bert

Solosid
September 16th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Hi All,

I know i'm digging up an old thread...but whats the best way now for usbuirt to control rf equipment.

in th UK

cheers
mark

Solosid
September 18th, 2008, 01:32 PM
hi all,

can anyone please give me some advice...
i have purchased gwhp5 nr2
i use 19"touchscreens 1up1down
i have ordered usbuirt...not here yet...how long do they take...
i have some ir stuff & some rf stuff

so the question is...

what is the best way to control rf...

cheers

Mark

Tony Parkes
September 19th, 2008, 01:46 AM
hi all,

can anyone please give me some advice...
i have purchased gwhp5 nr2
i use 19"touchscreens 1up1down
i have ordered usbuirt...not here yet...how long do they take...
i have some ir stuff & some rf stuff

so the question is...

what is the best way to control rf...

cheers

Mark

Hi,

TuneView provides an easy way to control iTunes from any room in your house. The TuneView receiver plugs into the USB port on a PC or Mac running iTunes. It communicates via a 2.4 Ghz RF radio signal with the TuneView remote at a range.

Rob H
September 19th, 2008, 04:04 AM
That depends on the RF devices you have - without more specifics it's impossible to say. Normally there isn't an equivalent of a USB-UIRT for most RF devices.

Solosid
September 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
so generally..... would it better to use ir ...like magic eye's in each room

i have read earlier in this thread that rf can be unstable and you should use cat5 is this the norm for most...

cheers
mark