View Full Version : USB IR receivers

October 25th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I did my best to look through the FAQs and search the forums, hope I don't frustrate anyone. I want to control my computer with my universal remote (at least I'm not asking you about IrDA, I've learned that it doesn't support consumer IR).

I would like to find a USB device that is small and resembles a flash memory stick or "thumb drive." I gather that USB UIRT works well with Girder, but it's a bit on the expensive side, and it's a bit larger and a bit more than I need (I only need a receiver). By reading posts on this forum for the past hour, I've seen many people imply that there is a whole host of affordable USB IR receivers on the market. I can't seem to find any that aren't either IrDA or UIRT. Am I missing something?

October 25th, 2006, 02:50 PM
The StreamZap IR receiver also works very well.

October 25th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Then it seems I have to buy the entire PC-remote package in order to get the USB IR receiver. I don't really need the remote, but if that's the only way I can get the receiver...

In that case, what do you think about this:

Will that work with Girder?

Thanks Again

October 25th, 2006, 05:02 PM
It *might* work with the G4 MCE IR plugin.

October 26th, 2006, 12:29 PM
So, it seems that either I take my chances with the MCE plugin, or I go with the USB UIRT. Would you say that's a fair characterization of my options?

I mean, I'm ruling out a video card/IR receiver combo because I don't want to buy a new video card right now, and the only other product I can find that might fit the bill is this:
(would that work with Girder?)

Thank you very much for your patience in dealing with my newb questions. I humbly appreciate your advice.

October 26th, 2006, 04:51 PM
not sure about that remote :(

honestly, the best device out there is the uirt. its not cheap but it works. no headaces.

if you want to save some $$ i would roll the dice with the mce remote.

October 28th, 2006, 12:45 AM
cool. thank you, that's good advice.

any recommendations on brand/make/model/etailer for buying a usb uirt?

thanks again

October 28th, 2006, 05:20 AM
the best place to buy it is www.usbuirt.com

Rob H
October 28th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Or, of course, at www.promixis.com :)

Although, Dan is quite right if you are in the UK (or the rest of the EU)

October 28th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Or, of course, at www.promixis.com (http://www.promixis.com) :)

Although, Dan is quite right if you are in the UK (or the rest of the EU)

Oh yeah, sorry! :eek:

October 28th, 2006, 12:07 PM
the best place to buy it is www.usbuirt.com (http://www.usbuirt.com)

acutally I am certain we have the best price and shipping costs.