PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Plugin V4.2

JohnHind
March 14th, 2007, 06:36 AM
I have posted V4.2 of the Mouse Plugin in the G4 Downloads area.

I believe this has fixed the problem of locking mouse captures, but just in case I have added a setting to disable function-shifted capture mode. It is enabled by default for compatibility, but you can un-check the new option in the settings screen if you do not use this feature.

I also added tilt-wheel support. This is documented for Vista only, but I have implemented it generically in case any mouse manufacturer retro-fits it to their XP drivers.

I also tidied up the settings UI somewhat.

I have also tested it in the G5 beta and it works fine!

Prindle19
March 30th, 2007, 01:10 PM
John.

I too have a gyration mouse, and I would like to use it with your girder plugin.

Here is what I would like to do.

Use Gyro Tools to assign a keyboard combination to the left and right media buttons, and then use girder to listen for those combos as events.

So, right now I can assign the right media button to "SHIFT+CTRL" and then I'd like to be able to make use of Girder Macro events to determine which way I tilt my gyration mouse while clicking that button.

So if I held the right media button and moved the mouse up, that would satisfy the macro event for one action (Brighten Lights) and if I held that button and moved the mouse down, it would satisfy another action (Dim lights)

I would then use Right Media button + Left or Right mouse movement to control system volume via USB UIRT or vice versa.

Then I could just come up with a different key combo for the left media button to control things like fast forward, etc.

THe problem right now is that your plugin seems to either require a mouse button L M R to be held down to display cardinal mouse movement events, or lock the cursor to do so.

Can it be configured so that it captures cardinal movements without a functional shift key applied, and then just pass the movement to windows as usual?

Because the mousehook plugin elequently captures girder events ever time the mouse moves, but it doesnt interupt the windows cursor, nor does it require a button to be held down. The only problem is that it does not report a direction to Girder....just that there is a "movement"

If you have GyroTools installed, have you tried assigning the "MCE AV" Gyro Volume tool to the right media button??

This is what I'm trying to replicate and expand in Girder.

Thanks!

JohnHind
April 3rd, 2007, 05:55 AM
Hi Prindle,

I guess you must have a more recent Gyration mouse than mine which is about five years old and has just three buttons and a scroll wheel (no media buttons and no special software).

I am limited in what I can do by what Microsoft specifies to be passed through the CBT (computer based training) hook and that excludes buttons beyond the first five and mouse wheel tilt (except in Vista). In particular there is no way to discriminate between multiple mice on the same computer.

If you want to use the movement messages as you suggest, the mouse pointer needs to be "captured". You can accomplish this either by using one of the supported mouse buttons as a function shift or by switching the plugin in and out of that mode using actions which can be linked to ANY Girder event (including, for example, keyboard events).

First create two named configurations in the settings page, one should have "capture the mouse" checked and the other unchecked. Now you can specify these names in the Mouse Configuration action and link these in the tree to Girder events. So if you use the Gyration software to make the media button generate, say, a function key you can then use the keyboard event this generates in Girder to switch configuration in the same way as using one of the five supported mouse buttons.

Hope this helps!

jansavli
March 14th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I'm getting some very strange behaveour...

Compass functions doesnt work as expected:

If "Capture mouse..." "always" is selected I can not move mouse anymore no matter of what I do. So its useless.
If "Capture mouse..." "on shift event", when I press down Mouse button and do compass event, cursor locks and keeps sending compas events (XWEST,XEAST,...) according to my mouse movement. If i release mouse button mouse is still locked and keeps sending these events. Lock is released when i do click again on the same mouse button.
Whithout "Capture mouse..." checked it works fine, but I get no compass events, even if I'm dragging with mouse button pressed. So this capture option is obligate to get compass events !?

Is this supposed to be working like this? In Mouse 2.0 it was great. If you made a gesture with pressed mouse button you got compass event and that was it. When you released mouse button everything worked normal. Very simple and efficient. Why has to be so complicated now?

Girder: 4.0.14.0
Mouse: Logitech MX518 (wired)
plugin: 4.2

quixote
March 14th, 2008, 09:10 AM
It's not complicated if you read the documentation. I think that the mouse plugin works great and I found that the "always capture compass events" is quite useful in some circumstances. It helps if you have several configurations that you can switch between.
Set up a configuration with a function shift button for the mouse gestures. I suggest you play around with different configurations to figure it out, and keep in mind that if you screw up and lock up your mouse that you can hold down control on the keyboard to revert to normal mouse operation.

jansavli
March 14th, 2008, 02:36 PM
No, no, no. The plugin is not working as it says it does.

By "Compass with shift events" i understand that if you hold down Left button and go left, you get LWEST. And when you release button everything is back normal.

But! When I hold down button and go left nothing happens. When I release button mouse goes in some "Compass mode" where cursor is locked in position and it keeps sending compass events evethough no button on mouse is pressed. To exit this mode I have to pres left button again!

I think this is not supposed acting... I have been using Mouse v2.0 intensly for 3 years now and uderstand how 4.0 should act.

jansavli
March 14th, 2008, 02:57 PM
In manuals says:
"Function Shift with mouse movement generates "compass" events."

So if I move mouse while pressed left button I sould get compass event. And I dont. And I have ticked send shifted functions to Girder...

I get compass events only if I tick "capture if shift...". But it results in strange behaveour mentioned above.

quixote
March 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I'll take a look at it, but I don't think that the left button is a good choice as a function shift button.

OK, I'm sorry I dismissed your complaint so quickly. I never experienced that, but it seems that now that I've just tested it I am getting the same lockup behaviour where I have to press the button again to get it to release the cursor and stop capturing compass events.
I gues we'll have to wait and see what John has to say.