PDA

View Full Version : Now Playing 2007 Draft

jwilson56
April 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Well I thought I would post a screen shot for my Now Playing 2007 skin I am working on. Of coarse its subject to change..hehehe...

The small weather box is coming from Girder5 as well as the Caller ID.

This one is the main screen for Mediabridge. I will post a couple more in the next couple days.

John

jwilson56
April 23rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
One more screen for today. This is the equalizer popup.

John

maxthebuilder
April 23rd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Hey.. Nice interface! Thanks for sharing!
Will it play video?

jwilson56
April 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Hey.. Nice interface! Thanks for sharing!
Will it play video?

I use MCE for all my video needs. You can control MCE via Girder so you could control MCE from a NR screen. Others use Zoom. I however do not have a video library. I time slip my shows with MCE and then delete them. My skin has always been geared toward a 5 zone whole house audio solution as well as home automation.

John

jwilson56
April 23rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Here is the Que/Playlist Creator

John

dsmes
April 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
John-
Nice button graphics. Where did you get them or did you create them yourself? If so, what graphics program do you use?

jwilson56
April 23rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
John-
Nice button graphics. Where did you get them or did you create them yourself? If so, what graphics program do you use?

Well I did everything in Photoshop.... however the base of the blue oval buttons were done by TonyNo and he uses http://www.inkscape.org/

I added the a layer for each graphic icon for the buttons and saved them all out seperately. I did the buttons for the equalizer in Photoshop. I spent quite a bit of time searching for those icons. The white control ones I did in Photoshop myself (did I mention that I am learning to use Photoshop? hehehe)

I was going to do my own buttons but Tony did such a nice job on those for me that I decided to naturally use them.

John

jwilson56
April 30th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Here is my Zone Selector

Also as of today Now Playing is working totally with G5 (Homeseer is offline).

John

jwilson56
May 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM
A new playing now screen...

Image was reduced to upload it here

John

jwilson56
May 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM
A new playing now screen with a blueish version of the background...

John

jwilson56
May 7th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I decided to add the ability to select between 5 different backgrounds with a push of hidden buttons on the bottom frame. Here is one that harleydude found for me

John

Ben S
May 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Cool! How neat would it be to have that animated! :)

jwilson56
May 8th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Here is another background....

Image was reduced to upload it here... wish it didn't have to be.. lol

John

jwilson56
May 14th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Here are my weather pages. One is the 5 day forecast and the second displays over a dozen different animated radar maps for my area.

Thanks to dsmes for the nice animated radar page (and to Marcel for his work also).

John

jwilson56
May 15th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Here is my updated Album Browser.

John

jwilson56
May 16th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Ok harleydude come through and helped me once again. I wanted a way to pause (not toggle) all my zones in JRMC when the phone rings. Here is the LUA script

--[[
pld1 = zone number
pld2 = mute state ie 0 = unmute, 1 = mute, -1 toggle
--]]

local zonecount = 5 -- set this to the number of zones

local Zones = {16777216, 33554432, 50331648, 67108864, 83886080, 100663296}
--table.print(Zones)
local MCC_SET_PAUSE = 10022

local handle, err = win.FindWindow('MJFrame',nili)

local lparam = false

if pld1 == 'all' and pld2 then
print ('Changing mute all zones')
for v = 1, zonecount do
lparam = Zones[v] + pld2
--print (lparam)
win.SendMessage(handle, 33768, MCC_SET_PAUSE, lparam)
end
elseif pld1 and pld2 then
print ('Changing must on zone ',pld1)
lparam = Zones[tonumber(pld1)] + pld2
print (lparam)
win.SendMessage(handle, 33768, MCC_SET_PAUSE, lparam)
end

And then it gets trigged via the CID event with this script:

--gir.TriggerEvent("JRMCMute", 18,'all',0) -- unmutes all zones
--gir.TriggerEvent("JRMCMute", 18,2,1) -- mutes zone 2
--gir.TriggerEvent("JRMCMute", 18,2,0) -- unmutes zone 2
gir.TriggerEvent("JRMCMute", 18,'all',1) -- mutes all zones

Thought I would share....

John

jwilson56
May 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Here is my updated Search page.

John

jwilson56
May 20th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Here is my updated weather page. It uses a Google Gadget embedded into the panel for the moon phases.

John

jwilson56
May 22nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Ok the Caller ID is working. When a call comes the following steps are performed:

Tthe Girder CallerID handler looks for the number in the database and substitutes the name for what was chosen and then stores it into a table.

The caller name is announced via Text to Speech.

The CallerID popup box is displayed on all NR clients

The screens on all clients are woke up

The caller information is sent out to all the YAC listeners (PC and MCE).

Any active audio zones are muted.

All audio tracks playing within JRMC are paused.

A timer is set to hide the CallerID box in 60 seconds

John

Promixis
May 22nd, 2007, 09:38 AM
John, are you using the G/NR DM for doing callerid?

jwilson56
May 22nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
Yes I am using the NetcallerID box with the G5 Caller ID under Component Manager. The table is displayed using a ListManager routine that formats the data (done by harleydude and modified by myself).

This entire project is based on the latest versions of Netremote and G5.

John

Please see http://www.promixis.com/forums/showpost.php?p=115635&postcount=80 for a suggestion to improve the Caller ID in G5 as it pertains to TTS.

jwilson56
May 25th, 2007, 08:22 AM
One of the biggest WAF (wife acceptance factor of home automation) for me has been the dryer (gas) complete TTS announcement. Its pretty easy to do and I thought I would share for those that are less into home automantion but are looking for ideas to get started.

I ordered a current transformer (http://www.crmagnetics.com/pdf/3110.pdf) and a X10 Poweflash unit. I hooked up the CR-3110 across the Powerflash terminals using a 1000 ohm burdon resistor across the contacts. I set the Powerflash to Mode 3 and Input A.

I needed to monitor the dryers AC current without cutting into its power cord and after some thought I finally came up with a quick solution. I picked up one of those super short heavy duty extention cords from ACO and using a sharp knife carefully cut back some of the rubber exposing the insulated wires (make sure you don't cut through the insulation on each wire!!). I wrapped the black wire around the CR-3110 (trial and error until I read 5-6 volts AC when the dryer was running - the more turns you wrap the wire the more sensitive the CRMAGNETICS is) to trigger the Poweflash unit.

It works great. I setup my event to trigger when it receives the X10 off command for the Unit code I chose.

Now that I am moved over to NR2 (with animated GIF support) I am going to have an animated GIF to show when the dryer is running. When the dryer is turned on Girder will get an ON event that can change the state of the NR button to the dryer icon that is moving. When the dryer shuts off Girder will get the OFF event and announce the "clothes are dry" and then set the state back to the button icon that shows the dryer not moving. How cool is that?

John

quixote
May 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Very cool. I'm guessing you could do the same with the washer?
I looked at the CR Magnetics website but there is no mention of the cost of a current transformer anywhere. How much did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

jwilson56
May 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Very cool. I'm guessing you could do the same with the washer?
I looked at the CR Magnetics website but there is no mention of the cost of a current transformer anywhere. How much did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

Well you can get it here. I ordered it from them a few years back. Its not much... around $13.50

Digi-Key Part Number 582-1004-ND

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?KeywordSearch

Actually the washing machine is much harder. I am still working on a better way to detect that. The problem is that the washer motor goes through the cycles and would keep tripping the Powerflash because the water valve when it fills is just not drawing enough current. Look for something in the near future as I tackle this with my new washing machine.

John

Sub-Routine
May 28th, 2007, 12:40 PM
That's great idea! I use a simple timer for the washing machine, 45 minutes, but drying times always vary.

Rand

jwilson56
May 30th, 2007, 03:46 AM
One of the things that I do is to use YAC in my setup. YAC allows me to broadcast the Caller ID information out to all my PC's and even my MCE PC (or Tivo). I also use it to send out other alert messages that I might want to see while playing a game with headphones on as it will popup on top of most games without disturbing game play.

For the script I use

local s_yac_msg = string.format("Incoming call from %s at %s", (pld1 or 'Unknown'),(pld2 or 'Unknown'))
win.ShellExecuteEx("c:\\mount\\YACTextSend.exe", s_yac_msg, nil, win.SW_SHOWNORMAL)

where pld1 and pld2 are the Caller ID payload of name and number.

Use YAC Server where Girder resides and the YAC listener on all your clients. Use MCE-YAC for your MCE PC

http://sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/

http://www.byz.org/~ethanz/mce-yac/

John

jwilson56
May 30th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Well I have added Marcel's Last.FM routines to Now Playing with 10 preset stations configurable from the LUA code. The labels for the station buttons also come from the LUA code so that the CCF is not hardcoded for any station changes down the road.

John

jwilson56
June 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM
I have the first stab at my light control panel. The panel uses animated gifs to show light status, motion detector status, whole house audio zone power status, and finally a little animated dryer to show you its running.

John

jwilson56
June 4th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Ok guys what do you think so far?

I just got my 1 wire stuff so I need to add that. Harleydude is working on his email/voicemail plugin and will be adding that also. I also need to do my 5 zone tuner screen.

Any feedback?

John

jkish
June 4th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I think it is awesome.

In fact, your work is the most compelling reason I have seen to choose Girder/NetRemote as a HA platform.

I'm in the planning phase right now and have been gathering hardware and trying to flesh out plans for a HA system. I've been trying to evaluate (without trying yet) the available software platforms to get an idea of which way I should head when I get ready to tie everything together.

I would love to be able to use your work as a starting point down the road as it incorporates a lot of the things I had in mind in a very attractive way.

-John

Promixis
June 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
John,

Looking very nice. How much of the functionalilty is being driven by the G5 DM?

jwilson56
June 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM
The light control panel is based on using DM in G5. I am having some quirks now and then (hitting a button does not turn a light on) but it is for the most part working. This skin is relying heavily on G5 as the basis for HA. It incorporates some of the new Flat CCF architecture also for the mediabridge interface (although I prefer the older GAC methods as the they seem to be much faster browsing the 800 CD's in my library than what I saw in the Flat CCF).

I most certainly do not take credit for much of this work as I have once again borrowed from other peoples fine efforts and a lot of help from harleydude.

It has been my goal for the past year to have a total Promixis solution for my home automation / whole house audio system. This skin is now the results of that effort.

John

jwilson56
August 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I will be going in for an operation on my back next week. I will be offline for awhile while I recover. So if I do not respond you will know why.

John

Rob H
August 18th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Good luck with the operation John.

Sub-Routine
August 18th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Thank you for all your work.

Rand

Ron
August 18th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Good Luck John!

Jlee
August 19th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Hope you're back with us soon John. Good luck.

jwilson56
August 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Well after 6 hours under the knife and 4 days of unthinkable pain and fever my body starting to get back to normal they let me come home yesterday (1 week stay) to heal. It has taken about 10 minutes to formulate and type this in but wanted to let you know I am ok. The doctor said my back was a bigger mess than he figured it was (hence the 6 hours under the knife).

I will be on now and then for moral support....

John

Rob H
August 28th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Sounds horrible! Good to see you here again. Hope you'll be on the mend soon.

Ron
August 28th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Hope you feel better soon!

dsmes
August 29th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Jeeeeze John, I thought there were drugs for the pain! I half expected you to be recovering with your tablet computer showing off the superiority of NetRemote as a GUI to the hospital staff :) Do take care and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

maxthebuilder
September 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM
John,
Not interested in the tablet (had it a while ago and sold it too),
but how do you control NP trough HDTV??

... and now I have Now Playing controlled through my HDTV I don't need it anymore.

John

dsmes
September 22nd, 2007, 05:06 AM
For Sale:I sent you a PM...

jwilson56
September 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I have it installed on my HTPC located remotely from my Samsung. I use the Gyration wireless mouse to control it for my living room.

John

maxthebuilder
September 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Oh, I see. Thanks!
I used to use a gyration mouse until it broke.. Now, I am doing everything with a remote.. I wish NR buttons were keyboard/remote selectable..

BTW, anyone tried that new logitech gyration-like mouse? is it any good?

I have it installed on my HTPC located remotely from my Samsung. I use the Gyration wireless mouse to control it for my living room.

John

TonyNo
September 24th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Why not get another Gyration? $70 for just the mouse, $95 for the keyboard, too. They have a two-year warranty.

The Logitech looks to be $150 just for the mouse.

jwilson56
October 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Well I went in for my 6 week checkup to the neurosurgeon and they took some xrays. I thought you might like to see the hardware they installed in my back.

John

Ron
October 11th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Ouch! I hope you are feeling better than it looks.

jwilson56
October 11th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Actually its getting better... I was hurting big time before the operation.

I will hopefully be upgrading Now Playing 2007 to the new versions of NR, NRD and G5 this next week. Will report any problems.

John

jwilson56
October 16th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Good News

Well other than a simple bug on a frame hide... Now Playing is running with the latest NR and G5.

As fall approaches and my back pain subsides I will once again start to work on this project. As to those that have asked if I will release the CCF I have not decided on that and will only do so when its done if I do. Much of it is based of the Flat CCF released so I would start with that right now.

John

jwilson56
October 22nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Well I have upgraded to the latest NR 2 release.. (.104) and have to say its running great!!! I have 3-8% CPU usage on my clients. The screens seem snappier...

Girder 5 is coming along very well... my system ran for months while I was on vacation and all through my surgery and recovery. Will be starting to look forward to working on more features soon.

John

Ron
October 22nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
That is awesome!!

jwilson56
December 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
What is Camtasia Studio?

A smart, friendly screen recorder and more.

Imagine being able to show exactly what's on your screen to anyone, anywhere. Imagine that it's easy. Now you've imagined Camtasia Studio.

With the smartest screen recording tools on the planet, Camtasia Studio makes everything from training videos to PowerPoint presentations to lectures look better, reach more people, and pack more punch. Which makes you look even smarter, too.

Follow the instructions on this page.

http://pctutorials.at3host.com/camtasia.html

taken from Cocoontech.com forum

John

Ron
December 3rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
which incidentally is the program I use to make the instruction videos.

jwilson56
December 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I have a Fujitsu 3400 for sale:

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17791

SnyperBob
December 14th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Hi John

I was wondering if you have any plans on releasing this newer version of your skin to the public. I'm still working on picking up a stereo receiver, but I did manage to test and get my Slink-e working.

I'd rather try running your newer skin if possible, rather than trying your old one with Homeseer and whatnot. Playing around with the trial, I really like Girder/Netremote.

Let me know if you need a beta test for this new skin, lol :)

Thanks,
Bob
(Snypez)

jwilson56
December 27th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Well things have been busy here lately. My back is getting better and I spend time each day to do my daily hour walk. I will hopefully get back into my project after the first of the year. I am looking to re-skin Now Playing to 1024X768 for my new touch screen.

As of now I have no plans to distribute my skin as its highly tailored to my setup and is not as generic as Now Playing 2005 was when it was Homeseer based. Much of the JRMC parts are taken from the Flat File CCF.

I will be happy to try and help others time permitting.

John

jwilson56
January 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Got side tracked playing with my new Ocelot. Hope to add some more home automation functionality with it as I have the SECU-16, SECU-16IR and SECU-16I modules for it.

John

jwilson56
January 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Well the first thing I added using my Ocelot was a phone hook status circuit that reports to Girder through a Ocelot SECU-16 input via an optocoupler. With this I can have a LED on the Now Playing showing if someone is using the phone. I also use it to un-pause all active zones when the phone gets hung up.

One thing to note was that after using it for a day in the practical world I had to make some adjustments. I had forgot about call waiting so when I hit the hook to flash and goto the other call the music un-paused. HAHAHA

So I wrote a little timer routine that un-paused after the phone is hung for 5 seconds. The timer gets killed when the phone is picked up so it will only unpause if the phone stays on the hook. Works great now.

John

quixote
January 31st, 2008, 01:38 PM
That's a great idea! I think I'll try to figure out a way of doing that without the Ocelot.

jwilson56
January 31st, 2008, 01:48 PM
Well you could use a joystick port for a digital input.

John

quixote
January 31st, 2008, 05:05 PM
Another nice idea. Do you think it would be possible to hack a usb joystick to use an optocoupler? Then I could use the HID plugin when it's released.

jwilson56
February 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Well I suspect you might be able to use the joystick as a digital input port. You could tie in the phone hook detector kit into that using the same optocoupler. I am going to do a How To writeup for Cocoontech when I am done building the interface into the project box (which is on order).

Also you could use a Powerflash X10 module as I had it working that way when I was playing around with it.

Start by buying this little kit.

http://www.rainbowkits.com/kits/tel-litep.html

John

quixote
February 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I might just do that. I've been searching for one at stores around here, hoping to find one that will run off the voltage of the phone line so that I don't need to plug in yet another device and take up another outlet. No such luck though.
Now I'm thinking that it may be just as good to use one of my old phone sets if I'm going to have to use an outlet anyway.
I'm going to give it anothr couple of weeks and then I'll probably end up ordering that kit. Will I need to order an optocoupler as well, even if I have a powerflash device?
Thanks.

jwilson56
February 6th, 2008, 03:39 PM
No I just hooked the Powerflash across part of the circuit (don't remember exactly) and it worked fine.

It comes with a diagram so a little measuring with a meter will tell you the best place to connect it.

John

jwilson56
February 10th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Well I have been very busy working on my hardware side of Now Playing. I rebuilt the entire setup of receivers and PC's into a new heavy duty rack and have now gone to 6 audio zones for a total of 1540 watts RMS. I also have switched everything over to the Ocelot for IR control and the Slink-e is offline and I will I selling it and the DB-25 expander box for IR zones 3-8.

I am taking a week off to spend with my daughters who are both in town while my wife is off for mid winter break. I hope to get back to building my opto-coupler interface box for the SECU-16I interface to add hardware based power status for the 6 receivers as well as a hardwired line for the dryer finish status, phone hook status and finally a washing machine cycle complete TTS alert using the SECU-16I.

One other project I was working on last week for a friend is a RPM tach circuit for the analog input on the SECU-16 input for a couple of 120mm fans. Its working out well. The Ocelot will be turning on and off the fans based on temperatures from a couple LM34's as it also monitors the actual RPM of each fan.

As soon as I get all the new hardware finished I want to get back into redoing my skin.

John

SnyperBob
February 11th, 2008, 02:52 AM
the Slink-e is offline and I will I selling it and the DB-25 expander box for IR zones 3-8.

Payment has been sent :) :p

jwilson56
February 29th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Well I bought a Nokia 770 to use as a portable device to access Now Playing. I have to say I am very impressed with the performance using RDP. I used NRD to resize Now Playing 2007 to the 800X480 rez that the Nokia has and it runs full screen fine. I am planning a special skin for the Nokia later but even the current skin is very usable.

John

maxthebuilder
February 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM
?? I thought that was a Linux applliance? How did you do that?
Oh.. I see - RDP.. So, it's like a remote control for a remote control.. :) Nice!

jwilson56
February 29th, 2008, 12:34 PM
?? I thought that was a Linux applliance? How did you do that?
Oh.. I see - RDP.. So, it's like a remote control for a remote control.. :) Nice!

Actually I am super happy with my performance. I used the hack to get multiple logins so its no big deal as the PC I RDP is on 24/7

John

jwilson56
February 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Whats better than a Nokia 770 running Now Playing...

two of them both RDP'n into the same MCE box and both controlling different zones.

CPU usage while playing a 1080p clip on MCE PC was 22-55%

On the HA playing 3 zones at once 18-22%

Now that is cool...

John

jwilson56
March 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Ok I am starting ideas for a new skin. I have some that I was tinkering with and never did put into production. I keep leaning towards a more conservative looking one but the last thing I want is a boring look.

John

jwilson56
March 6th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Well here is a black theme I am playing with right now.

John

jwilson56
March 7th, 2008, 10:31 AM
The latest concept

rickd
March 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I have the option to buy some of these 770 tablets what os do you run and are you running RDP to access NR on another machine? Can you detail your setup for this and how well it works running NR remotely and traps I can get units for $100US.

Thanks Rick

jwilson56
March 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I use Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) into a WinXP Pro machine I have setup for 3 accounts. There is a version of RDP for the Nokia 770.

John

jwilson56
March 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Here are the latest screenshots for my new skin. The main page and a new browser page.

John

jwilson56
March 14th, 2008, 12:47 PM
See Now Playing 2008 for anymore information on my skin.

John