View Full Version : can I use this IrDA adapter to control Girder?

June 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I've just discovered Girder, and I was wondering: is it possible to control my PC using a IrDA adapter (Sitecom USB IrDA adapter), or a UIRT is necessary (in that case, where can I find it)?


Rob H
June 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM
IrDA devices generally don't work - although they might work if you have a corresponding IrDA remote that works as a HID (Human Interface Device).

Where are you located? If in the US you can get a USB-UIRT from us, if in Europe or elsewhere in the world take a look at the USB-UIRT website - www.usbuirt.com which will give you details of where to get it.

June 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I've been using usbuirt as a receiver oonly. But it can also transmit, right?
My usbuirt is place in a good position for receiving but not for transmission.
There's a hookup for an external transmitter/emitter in the back of it, right?
What you guys would recommend for a transmitter? (I never used them and have no idea).
Are they sold at Fry's or Radio Shack (US)?


June 14th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I think you can plug a standard Xantech emitter into the USB-UIRT, but I haven't tried it myself. That should facilitate a fairly long run with the emitter itself, and with a powered connecting block, you could extend this to cover even more distance.

I use a GlobalCache GC-100, which has the benefit of not needing to be anywhere near my PC (though it does need an ethernet connection or a wireless bridge nearby).


July 11th, 2007, 01:13 AM
I use this with my USB-UIRT and it works great:
You just have to make the plug that goes from the uirt to the block, but that's simple. All you need it a mono phono jack from radio shack or cut it off one of your emitters.