PDA

View Full Version : USBIRT vs Global Cache

davecherry
June 26th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I'm ready to add a USBIRT or Global Cache to my NR/Girder setup (currently using direct IR which has reliability issues on my system). Can someone comment on the pros and cons each one. Is Global Cache more reliable?

Barf
June 27th, 2007, 03:47 AM
This is pretty much like comparing a wrench to a screwdriver. The USB-UIRT is a USB-device (only one wire!), with excellent IR transmitting power, and requrires the PC to be on. In can also receive IR for Girder. The GlobalCache is stand alone, and works only with either stick-on IR emitters, IR-distribution systems, or a powered IR-blaster, i.e. does not "transmit IR" out of the box. Cannot receive IR, instead has (one or two) serial ports. Requires a "wall wart", but not a running PC. Also much more expensive.

Promixis
June 27th, 2007, 08:32 AM
If you have an always on PC and its close to where you need the IR, then goes with the USBUIRT. Otherwise as Barf says

tmorten
June 27th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I have both, and have found both to be reliable with two exceptions:

USB-UIRT - Doesn't play well with Somfy devices (few IR output devices reliably produce Somfy IR codes -- I had the same problem with my Pronto. The GlobalCache is the only device I've found that works consistently with Somfy). If you're not using any Somfy devices (typically projector screen motors, motorized blinds/shades/drapes) then this doesn't matter.

GlobalCache - Isn't happy if you connect to it from multiple instances of NetRemote... much happier if you pipe everything through a single instance of Girder.

Otherwise, I agree with everything Mike and Barf said :).

Best,
Tim

davecherry
June 27th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks. I'm going to give USBIRT a try given my needs, the cost and all your advice.