PDA

View Full Version : Netremote on UMPC (ASUS R2Hv)

mhwlng
July 22nd, 2007, 06:53 AM
See pictures

I am trying to run netremote on an ASUS R2Hv UMPC

I have redone a few screens from
my current tablet pc (1024x768 pen based 1.5GHz Pentium M)
to the UMPC (800x480 touch based 1.0GHz Pentium M)

you definitely notice the reduced screen real estate :rolleyes:

the UMPC has decent specs :
80GB hard disk (2 partitions c:30GB and d:40GB, I changed it to one 70GB partition)
1.2GB RAM
1GHz Pentium M (I throttled it back to the minimum of 600Mhz to try to reduce power usage/heat)
7" 800x480 touch screen
vista home premium (no aero theme!)

wifi : wifi reception sucks (default settings, bluetooth off).
(few meters from wifi acces point : 3-4 of 5 stripes,
the next room : 1 of 5 stripes. I had to install a wifi range extender in my small 3 room appartment :confused:
My other wifi devices have much better reception)

fingerprint sensor : works fine

bluetooth : not tested
built-in GPS Receiver : not tested

built-in 1.3Mpixel camera : not tested

it's got a solid build (metal front), but it's bulky.
you definitely can't fit it in any pocket

it takes a while to start vista, but Netremote speed is ok. touch screen works fine...

the battery life is a couple of hours (standard battery) I haven't timed it...

it didn't come with a docking station, only with a plastic 'kickstand' on the back that can break off quite easily if you're not careful.
which means that you have to plug/unplug the power cable a lot if you pick it up...

the bottom left hardware button always starts vista media center,
I haven't figured out how to reprogram that button to start something else (if at all possible)....

I tried to use the UMPC in sleep mode.
But Netremote hangs, as soon as the device wakes up...
and has to be killed in task manager...

My MAIN problem with this device is the fan noise.
The fan is always on....

I took it apart :

there is a very small and flimsy heat sink on the processor and intel chipset . I replaced the thermal paste and bent the heatsink a bit, to increase pressure on the two chips.
I also disassembled/reassembled the fan.

for some reason, the fan noise went down a bit

before, I could clearly hear it from 3 meters, now it's around 1-1.5 meters.

Marcel

mhwlng
July 22nd, 2007, 06:56 AM
some more pictures

tmorten
July 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
You're rapidly approaching the slickest set-up possible :). Too bad about the fan; I wonder if other UMPC's have similar fan issues? That battery life would be too short for me... if I can't get through two feature films on one charge, I think I'd be tempted to fall back to the Axim. I suspect there's probably an extended battery available though. I didn't see a dock in the pictures... is one available?

I was thinking of trying a Samsung Q1U (which has lots of hard buttons), but I haven't taken the plunge yet. Now if SSD versions would just become affordable!

Total subjective note here, but I suspect UMPC is a good control surface for some place like the office or breakfast room where you might also use it to surf the news. In the living room, I think I'd prefer a remote that I can use one-handed and safely leave on the arm of the couch while I watch movies. So perhaps the UMPC battery life doesn't matter as much, if it's only used in rooms where it will find its way back to the dock sooner rather than later...

Best,
Tim

mhwlng
July 22nd, 2007, 12:24 PM
I didn't see a dock in the pictures... is one available?

not for the asus. the samung might have one ?

I'd prefer a remote that I can use one-handed and safely leave on the arm of the couch

Any 7" UMPC is too big and heavy to use one-handed (800-900g with standard battery)...
So you'd better stick with a PDA or go with a smaller 4-4.5" UMPC, like the (expensive) sony
or for example the raon digital vega (480 grams, 4.3inch screen, 500Mhz AMD Geode LX800 CPU, so slower (but 200 EUR cheaper) than the asus. runs XP, battery life is supposed to be 5 hours)

I wanted a 7" screen and a fast(er) CPU (so no via c7 or celeron), so I went for the ASUS...

Marcel

mhwlng
July 23rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
I found this tool : Notebook Hardware Control

http://www.pbus-167.com/nhc/nhc.htm

It shows cpu + hard disk temperature (unlike speedfan)

and allows underclocking/undervolting

I've reduced the speed to 600Mhz and voltage to 0.7V

I now see (with NR running, room temperature > 26 celcius!) :
hard disk: 55 celcius, cpu: 62 celcius)

the fan is still on at full blast...

You can also write your own ACPI plugin for this tool, in c#.
but I haven't figured out, how to get custom fan speed control working yet, via ACPI...

Marcel

farbs
July 24th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Great to see!
I have the tablet kiosk and the exact same issues with fan noise and 2 and a half hour battery life. Only reason I chose it was it has a nice cradle it sits in. Would love to be able to reduce fan speed if at all possible but then again it does tend to get a bit warm as it is on 24/7.
other than that I think once these issues are sorted they have the potential to be the ultimate remote!!
here a a couple of mine when i first got it.
I do love it just some minor annoyances i guess.

mhwlng
July 24th, 2007, 10:45 AM
now that I can measure temperatures, I disconnected the fan connector...

vista is set to 'balanced', so the clock speed varies between 600Mhz and 1 Ghz depending on load. So I have performance, when it's needed...

I undervolted 600Mhz to 0.7V and 1Ghz to 0.748V.

with NR running on the 'heaviest' screen, speed usually stays at 600Mhz :

(room temp. > 25 celcius)

If I produce a bit of a load on the system (e.g. play a movie in zoomplayer), so that the speed stays at 1Ghz for a while, I see the temp go up to 80 celcius [when playing an hd-dvd across the network!] (the cpu max temp is >90 celcius), and hard disk temp goes up to 66c (the limit is 60 celcius according to the toshiba hard disk specs)

when only running NR, cpu temp usually stays at 65-68C and the hard disk at 60-62C

I've set the hard disk to spin down after 5 minutes, but I don't think that's actually working ?

only the metal front gets a bit hot, the rest of the case does not get hot...

reducing LCD display brightness or powering off the lcd display does not have much effect on temp

too bad NR crashes when the pc comes out of sleep mode....
that would really improve battery life...

could somebody look into that ?

Marcel

mhwlng
July 29th, 2007, 04:53 AM
I shrunk my 1024x768 JRMC screens to 800x480, see pictures

Marcel

mhwlng
July 29th, 2007, 04:54 AM
continued from previous message

mhwlng
July 29th, 2007, 04:59 AM
the intel graphics drivers don't allow rotation of the 800x480 screen ...

this free tool does the job (also in Vista)

http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/irotate.shtm

works great in combination with the UMPC version of microsoft reader :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2213D032-F1AF-4FE4-A1A0-B895A35F743B&displaylang=en

note that this requires Microsoft Origami Experience Pack :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AC349E84-C109-4AE7-A973-411C1DE2457F&displaylang=en

Marcel

mhwlng
July 29th, 2007, 07:54 AM
see pictures

I added live tv using vlc
http://www.videolan.org

there are some old threads that explain the vlc stuff...

currently :

my digital tv set-top box is connected via scart/composite video to my Hauppauge WinTV PVR2 USB2 Encoder.

The Hauppauge device is connected to my Vista PC.
(only standard vista drivers, no Hauppauge software is installed)

I don't use the analog tv tuner (this is possible in vlc, see old threads)

On the vista PC, runs VLC in 'streaming http server' mode

On NR on my UMPC I show a web page with the VLC active-x control in ' streaming client' mode.

double click the control, and you see the image full-screen (see picture)

I use girder+irtrans, to switch channels on the set-top box...

The picture looks great, and I don't see any speed issues, but note that cpu utilization is >>> and cpu temp. becomes 82C (standard fan configuration)

I haven't experimented yet with reducing bandwidth/framerate/resolution or switching codecs...

Marcel

mhwlng
July 29th, 2007, 09:14 AM
but note that cpu utilization is >>> and cpu temp. becomes 82C (standard fan configuration)

I reduced the streaming bitrate from 6Mb/s to 1.5Mb/s, converted the video stream from MPEG2 to MPEG4 and the audio stream to MP3 and now perform deinterlacing on the server instead of on the UMPC....

now the UMPC CPU temp only gets up to an acceptable 70C

Of course, all this transcoding is now causing my fanless server to heat up nicely :rolleyes:

(core 2 duo T7400, 2.16Ghz)

40% CPU utilization, 51C (was 45C)

this is the command line, that I use to start VLC on the server :

start vlc dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Hauppauge WinTV PVR2 USB2 Encoder" :dshow-adev="" :dshow-size="" :dshow-fps=25.000000 :sout-deinterlace-mode=x :sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2,vcod ec=mp4v,vb=4000,deinterlace}:standard{access=mmsh, mux=asfh,url=:1234} --extraintf http --http-host :8081 --wx-systray

Marcel

mhwlng
August 24th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I found an interesting list of the performance of various processors used in UMPC's :

Core Solo (1200) MHz : 806 (123%) UX280p
Pentium M (1000) MHz : 651 (100%) R2Hv
Celeron M (900) MHz : 580 (89.09%)
A110 (800 MHz) : 522 (80.18%) Q1U
VIA C7M (1500) MHz : 448 (68.82%) OQO 02
Celeron M (900) MHz : 417 (64.06%) R2H, no cache.
VIA C7M (1200) MHz : 383 (58.83%) Amtek T770
A100 (600 MHz) : 310 (47.61%) SH6
VIA C7M (1000 MHz) : 309 (47.47%) eo v7110
AMD LX900 (600 MHz) : 163 (25.04%) Everun

source :

http://www.tweaks2k2.com/Vista_score.htm

Marcel

theguywiththefunnyhair
August 31st, 2007, 06:55 AM
I found an interesting list of the performance of various processors used in UMPC's :

Pentium M ( 1000Mhz ): 651 ( 100% )
Celeron M ( 900Mhz ): 580 ( 89% )
A110 ( 800Mhz ): 522 ( 80% )
Via C7M ( 1500Mhz ): 448 ( 68% )
Celeron M ( 900 Mhz - No Cache ): 417 ( 64% )
Via C7M ( 1000Mhz ): 309 ( 47% )
AMD LX900 ( 600 MHz ): 163 ( 25% )

Marcel

Hi Marcel,
I'm looking at putting together a mini (or maybe nano) -itx box and i see a few processors that i recognize in your list. I was just wondering what test was being performed to produce those stats, could we get a link to the full report?
Cheers
Dan

mhwlng
August 31st, 2007, 07:07 AM
it seems to be this list

http://www.tweaks2k2.com/Vista_score.htm

Marcel