PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch

Cocophone
September 5th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Has anybody seen the new iPod Touch.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/new-8+mm+thick-ipod-touch-makes-us-drool-itch-with-desire-296624.php

It has wi-fi and it looks like the new iPhone.

It would be fantastic if netremote was ever ported over to OS X.

NeoMorph
September 5th, 2007, 06:29 PM
It's nice and gorgeous... but nice and expensive too.

Personally the only reason I can see to have one is if you are someone with loads of disposable cash or peeps who must have the latest in-thing-gadget. If I had the cash I probably would buy one but then I'm a gadget freak... but more likely I'd get something a quarter the price. OK so it can do net + wifi + store songs... so can my Acer n321 pda which can also run a ton of other stuff. The only downside to the Acer is the battery life which sucks if the wifi is on but if I am going to use it outside I carry a spare battery.

22 hours music listening for the iPod touch is darned good though but I wonder if that is with wifi off and what it is with wifi on...

tmorten
September 16th, 2007, 11:33 AM
As I understand it, 3rd party development for iPhone and iPod Touch is limited to browser-based applications. That may change, but at least for now, putting NetRemote on iPhone/iPod isn't an option. Poor choice by Apple, if you ask me.

From my perspective, a touch screen with no hard buttons isn't an ideal surface anyway -- I like to be able to use my remote's basic functionality (volume, channel, transport control) by feel, without looking at the screen :).

Best,
Tim

Mastiff
September 16th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Well, I belive the thing has WiFi, so you could at least build something cool in Girder's webserver. Still I agree. I am a gadget freak, and I indulge myself when it comes to cellphones. But that thing wasn't even on the long list! I decided for an O2 Atom Life, imported form Hongkong (since it's not officially sold outside Asia/Oceania, and I wanted to use a name seller, like Expansys). I prefer WM, because it's a lot more open, there's a hysterical amount of software for it, NetRemote of course works perfectly, and finally I can buy a few 4 gig card to put music on (the SD Mini cards are pretty cheap now), and I really don't listen that much to music on the cellphone anyway. Finally, there's the attemt at locking the iPhone to one particular cell phone company (which I of course knew would be broken pretty soon). Need I say more? :D

I know that the HTC Touch is based on WM6 Pro (which is the old PPC), so that should work with NetRemote. But I haven't tried, of course.

NeoMorph
September 16th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Touchscreens are going to make a bigger hit when haptics (the artificial sense of feeling the buttons) becomes more widely used.

They will be starting to come out with the early stuff soon. Just look at this...

http://www.time4.com/time4/microsites/popsci/howitworks/cellphone_motor.html

or even...

http://www.immersion.com/industrial/docs/touchscreen_may06_V2-LR.pdf

Touch screens will get over the problem of knowing whether you have pressed the button or not but I still think real keyboards will be with us for a while yet. The biggest downside for me with touch screens is the mucky fingerprints. Has anyone seen the iPod touch pictures with it absolutely covered in fingerprints? It looks cheap and tacky!

Mind you I still am going ahead with touchscreens around my flat plus my pda. At least with NetRemote your touchscreens can be setup anyway you like and are only limited by your imagination.

davedave1234
September 24th, 2007, 07:55 AM
As I understand it, 3rd party development for iPhone and iPod Touch is limited to browser-based applications. That may change, but at least for now, putting NetRemote on iPhone/iPod isn't an option. Poor choice by Apple, if you ask me.

From my perspective, a touch screen with no hard buttons isn't an ideal surface anyway -- I like to be able to use my remote's basic functionality (volume, channel, transport control) by feel, without looking at the screen :).

Best,
Tim

There are plenty of native apps built for the iphone/touch. There has been a toolchain for developing since about the 3rd week. Granted there still needs to be some work done but if Netremote was ported it would be the best application out for it hands down. :)
Here is a list of some http://modmyiphone.com/nativeapps/

tmorten
September 28th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Article posted today:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/iphone-re+reviewed-verdict-dont-buy-302075.php

Developing for hacked iPhones/iPods = getting disabled by firmware update... even if someone cracks this new firmware, it will just happen again next update. From a business perspective, that's a pretty big disincentive.

Maybe Apple will come to their senses at some point...

Best,
Tim

Mastiff
September 28th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Don't hold your breath indeed... Still, it's very easy: Just don't upgrade! Or even better: Buy something that hasn't got Apple's barbed wire fences around it... ;)

NeoMorph
September 28th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Yeah I read about the iBricks...

Perhaps Steve Jobs wants to be Bill Gates... Shame he couldn't be bothered to go to the business meeting that awarded a contract to make that small os eventually called... hmmm... MS-DOS wasn't it? Not well known I guess. Seriously that's what happened and Jobs missed out on writing the OS for IBM PC's and look what happened to the guy who turned up. Redmond!

Akke
October 2nd, 2007, 06:16 AM
Got my iPhone this friday and if you haven't tried one, you should. It really feels like next gen and the touch is way better than every WM i have ever tested. Not to mention the super clear and crisp screen, the flow and speed. It's made from the ground up to use fingers, not pen, witch suits me just perfectly. The pricetag is also half of a good WM phone.

Mine is "jailbreaked" with iBrickr, so I can add apps, how much work is it to port netremote? Is it just to compile for OSX or are we talking of a full rewrite? One other solution that will work with all iPhones is to create a "Save as web 2.0 webpage" option in the designer.

I'm sure this phone/player is gonna hit the world hard, so the faster team promixis can come up with a good way to use it, the better.

ADDED: What about getting this guy on your team?: http://www.alloysoft.com/

Mastiff
October 2nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
I'm afraid you're gonna have to dream on... I would think that it needs a full rewrite, and the iPhone will probably be a fluke anyway. There's a few things coming out in the next months that are gonna whoop it's butt. Like the new version of the HTC Touch, with a hidden keyboard in addition to the touchscreen. And the way Apple's operating there's only gonna be a very small percentage that will bother to keep up with cracks and stuff. Most "regular folks" will stay with original firmware, and then you're down to a market for NetRemote that's so small that it's not even worth it.

Sorry, but I believe that's the truth.

Akke
October 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
I hear you Mastiff, but as a former user of WM4/5 and 6, I know when something is so far ahead in design, system and speed it's not enough for HTC just to put a new skin on WM.

WM must have a complete rewrite to compete with this. That said, I really hope apple release a SDK.

And you forgot the web possibilities (full safari browser), that all iPhone and iPod Touch owners can use.

Next time I'm in Risør/Arendal you can check it out yourself if you want.

Mastiff
October 2nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Well, you may be right there, but I believe they said exactly the same thing when the two last Apple OS's came out. And if I'm correct, XP (and Vista, which is a tragic failure on the Windows ME scale) still have a larger user base (around 90 versus 2 % I believe). Then it does of course matter what WM units you are using, since the differences are hysterically large. I use an O2 Atom Life (Hongkong import), and it blows anything else I have used out of the water with large memory and a very fast CPU.

Anyway, I would love to see that thing! PM me the next time you're driving past Sørlandsporten, I live very close to that!

Mastiff
December 17th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Your wish is partly granted! Check out the new iPhone Girder stuff. Of course the phone hasn't gotten any better... ;)

NeoMorph
December 18th, 2007, 07:29 AM
ROFLMAO @ that stick cartoon... ME was the first MS OS that I said FO to. ;)

God what an abortion that was... Almost as bad as Win98 first release (which killed my computer at the time it came out) and then they released Win98 v2 which they charged for. Charging for bug fixes to Win98 v1 was a big no-no imho.

Mastiff
December 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Yeah, but Second Edition was the best and most stable consumer OS between Windows 3.11 and XP! Unfortunately 2000 never got the consmer OS stamp, but I still use that on my slower computers (always find a new use for a computer every now and then), and it's much better than any of the 95-98-ME family.

NeoMorph
December 19th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I used 98Se for quite a while and was happy with it. I then remember installing XP for the first time and dreading it... only to find it installed flawlessly on my machine and even setup networking correctly which could be a pain on 95/98 machines. From then on I have been XP all the way and when friends ask me "have you upgraded to Vista yet" I tell them "nah... Do I look as if I want to shoot myself in the foot?".

XP works... Doesn't need a stupid hardware requirement and actually hardly ever falls over. Drivers are mature and mostly stable and if it ain't broke why replace it? XP does everything I ask of it. It's the best OS MS put out since MS-DOS was on the first IBM-PC (which I had a chance to play on since the company I was working for at the time was a big IBM mainframe user and IBM let us play with some beta machines).

Mind you if you want to see what COULD have been, watch Journeyman where Dan accidentaly leaves some high tech gadgetry back in the past and then comes back to the present.... Basically I want his printouts! heh

Mastiff
December 19th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I hear you. I'm not going to upgrade any unnecessary computers to anything for several years, I think. XP is great, and Server 2003 is totally bullet proof! The only thing that can make it fail is a bullet in the CPU or me forgetting to replenish the water cooling system... ;) I do have Vista on one computer by necessity - the new HTPC. The reason is EVR, wich is a lot better than overlay. PowerDVD, the only app that plays HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, uses overlay in XP, but EVR in Vista (hardware respective software rendering), and with a computer powerful enough to run HD without using the hardware acceleration in the graphics card (and believe me, my new HTPC does that without even breaking a sweat, but the contents are secret for now because I'm gonna write an article about it for a Norwegian website) you'll get visibly better image quality with Vista. Now if M$ could port EVR to XP... But I'm afraid that won't happen. :(