PDA

View Full Version : USB-UIRT Driver Gets Disabled on Resume from Standby

DCKJR
September 5th, 2007, 05:53 PM
For the last month or so I have found that the driver for my USB-UIRT gets disabled 30 to 60% of the time upon restart or resume from standby (S3).

Some element of the problem lies within Girder4 since this happens with the box "Restart Driver on resume from Standby/Suspend" checked in Girder and it appears that Girder doesn't restart the driver (or maybe tries and fails)

When the USB-UIRT doesn't work after a restart, the Girder log shows:

Time Date Source Details Payloads
08:04:05:718 8/8/2007 UIR Failed to initialize ERROR: Unable to connect to USB-UIRT device! Please ensure device is connected to the computer!

And in the plugin list under Settings in Girder, the USB-UIRT line is highlighted in red. In the Windows Device Manager for the server Girder sits on, the icon for the USB-UIRT shows that it is disabled. I can bring the USB-UIRT back to life by re-enabling the driver in the Windows Device Manager and then going into Girder/Settings/Plugin Settings/Plugins and unchecking the USB-UIRT box and then rechecking.

If I don't have the "Restart Driver on resume from Standby/Suspend" box checked in Girder then the USB-UIRT device will still fail to work as frequently. The only difference is that the Windows Device Manager never shows that the driver is disabled.

Anybody experienced this and found a way to fix it?

Thanks

Dudley

NeoMorph
September 8th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I had this occur when my USB-UIRT was connected via a cheap usb hub that was on its way out. I thought the UIRT was on the way out as other devices on the hub seemed to be fine.

Connecting it directly to the PC fixed the problem and then about a week later the hub died taking out two other devices attached to it. Thank god I moved the UIRT as I use it a LOT.

How is your UIRT connected?

DCKJR
September 8th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. My USB-UIRT is directly attached to the PC.

Dudley

NeoMorph
September 9th, 2007, 08:39 AM
This may sound stupid but have you tried moving it to another USB port.

This should force the driver software to re-install too which may fix a corruption problem that could be the cause.

Another thing with the USB-UIRT is the thing not waking up properly from standby. There are others in the same boat as you...

http://www.usbuirt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5634&highlight=wake

http://www.usbuirt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=573&highlight=wake

http://www.usbuirt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=917&highlight=wake

I think there is a command you can use that will force the UIRT to wakeup... I can't check at the moment because my server is doing some maintenance work but will post further info in a bit.

DCKJR
September 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Not a stupid suggestion at all. It is stupid of me not to have tried another USB port first. I'll move it over and see what happens.

I had searched the USB-UIRT forum previously and found that others have experienced similar problems but with no solution. And Jon Rhees doesn't seem to participate actively in his forum.

I do have the command in Girder set to force the USB-UIRT driver to restart when the server wakes up but it doesn't seem to work. I will post this over on the Girder forum to see if I can get the Girder guys to help.

Thanks

Dudley

NeoMorph
September 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Oops... I forgot about this during the server re-install...

I found the command I had done in my GML but strangely the action had vanished. I think it may have been when I downloaded then newer plugin and it wiped out a depreciated action.

There is one other thing you may want to check... Go to Control Panel>Systems>Device Manager and then look to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section at the bottom. Expand this entry and then find the USB Root Hub that your USB-UIRT is connected to. You can find out what is connected to the hubs by double clicking them and then going to the Power tab.

Once you have located the Root Hub that your UIRT is connected to go to the Power Management tab. Make sure the "Allow the computer to turn this off to conserve power" entry is turned off. It could be your system thinks the UIRT doesn't need power.

Another fix is buy a powered USB hub and leave the hub itself turned on. That way the USB-UIRT actually stays on then.

DCKJR
September 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I moved the USB-UIRT to another port on my server and it still disabled its driver upon a resume from S3 Standby.

There is one other thing you may want to check... Go to Control Panel>Systems>Device Manager and then look to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section at the bottom. Expand this entry and then find the USB Root Hub that your USB-UIRT is connected to. You can find out what is connected to the hubs by double clicking them and then going to the Power tab.

Once you have located the Root Hub that your UIRT is connected to go to the Power Management tab. Make sure the "Allow the computer to turn this off to conserve power" entry is turned off. It could be your system thinks the UIRT doesn't need power.

Another fix is buy a powered USB hub and leave the hub itself turned on. That way the USB-UIRT actually stays on then.

My USB-UIRT isn't connected to an external hub. My server has 6 powered USB ports that are integrated into it and the USB-UIRT is connected to one of those. I am sure these USB ports behave similarly to an external hub however.
My OS (WinXP Pro SP2) doesn't have an "Allow the computer to turn this off to conserve power" box to check (or in this case uncheck) on the Power page of the Device Manager. The Power page indicates that the USB-UIRT is allocated 100mA of power and also that it is within the available power of the internal hub that it is attached to.
A separate externally powered hub is an option for me to try. First I want to ask the Girder Promixis guys why the "Restart Driver on resume from Standby/Suspend" button doesn't do anything

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Dudley

NeoMorph
September 12th, 2007, 06:04 AM
It's not on the power tab... it's the "Power Management" tab (a completely seperate tab at the end of the tabs for the USB Root Hub). I'm using XP Pro SP2 as well

DCKJR
September 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM
"Power Management" is not an available tab on my system.

Dudley

NeoMorph
September 12th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Hmmm...

After you come out of S3 sleep have you had a look at the power tab to see if the USB-UIRT is still seen? If it is then it really must point to software.

DCKJR
September 12th, 2007, 05:34 PM
The USB-UIRT shows as being present but "disabled" so I agree with you that it is most likely software.

From my initial post:

And in the plugin list under Settings in Girder, the USB-UIRT line is highlighted in red. In the Windows Device Manager for the server Girder sits on, the icon for the USB-UIRT shows that it is disabled. I can bring the USB-UIRT back to life by re-enabling the driver in the Windows Device Manager and then going into Girder/Settings/Plugin Settings/Plugins and unchecking the USB-UIRT box and then rechecking.

Dudley

NeoMorph
September 12th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I had to do a bit of trawling but found this...

http://www.usbuirt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1734&sid=07fe0a13da492b85a63fa3eaaa6c9f36

Looks like someone else had exactly your same problem and it got fixed by Jon's suggestions.

Hope that helps.

"Power Management" is not an available tab on my system.

Dudley

Something just struck me as very confusing... you are using power management to go into S3 yeah... so why no power management tab on the USB?

Have you checked that Advanced Power Management is turned on in bios (APM). If that's got turned off for some reason it could mean that the USB-UIRT isn't getting a message to turn on when the PC wakes up.

DCKJR
September 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I had to do a bit of trawling but found this...

http://www.usbuirt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1734&sid=07fe0a13da492b85a63fa3eaaa6c9f36

Looks like someone else had exactly your same problem and it got fixed by Jon's suggestions.

Thanks for doing all the searching. I too had gone through the USB-UIRT forum and found a number of other threads indicating people were having the same problem. I never found a resolution in those threads. On the thread you found, Jon's suggestion of a fix:

1. Start up Girder, USB-UIRT, etc.
2. Press F9 in Girder to Disable Plugins
3. Suspend the machine.
4. Wake the machine back up
5. Press F9 in Girder to re-enable plugins.
6. See if the USB-UIRT is working.
isn't a practical one to use in an every day situation unless I can hard code it into my shutdown and wake up events. And since I use Girder to wake up my PC, doing the above would prevent me from waking up the machine.

Hope that helps.

Something just struck me as very confusing... you are using power management to go into S3 yeah... so why no power management tab on the USB?

Have you checked that Advanced Power Management is turned on in bios (APM). If that's got turned off for some reason it could mean that the USB-UIRT isn't getting a message to turn on when the PC wakes up.

I will look at the BIOS. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dudley

NeoMorph
September 13th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I think you missed Jon's idea...

Hmm, that's strange. Try turning the 'disable driver' option back OFF and try this experiment:

... before running that list you quoted...

I think something needed to be re-toggled somewhere and doing that fixed it for the original poster (ie something got corrupted and turning it off and back on again fixed it).

DCKJR
November 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I communicated with Jon Rhees about the problem and wanted to close out this thread with information about the solution that worked for me. Jon felt that Girder (which automatically disables and re-enables plugins when the PC goes to standby if plugins are currently enabled) was trying to re-enable plugins too soon after resume on my PC (for some reason my PC may not have things 'ready' soon after a resume).
The solution for my PC was to increase the delay before Girder re-enables the USB-UIRT driver. I have attached the USBUIRT.dll with the increased delay that solved the problem on my PC. It may or may not work for other PC's.
If you are having this problem and want to try this as a potential fix, copy the attached Usbuirt.dll plugin overtop the one in your Girder Plugins folder and then restart Girder. Make sure you do *not* have the 'Restart Driver...' option enabled on the USB-UIRT page in Girder Plugin Settings window.

Dudley