PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a wall mount touchscreen?

windrockwater
October 31st, 2007, 06:31 PM
I am curious if anyone has successfully been using a wall mounted or tabletop touchscreen lcd with a netremote or other type of interface? I love playing around with Netdesigner and it seems like a great, low cost whole house control solution. Anyone want to give their impression/experiences? Right now i am using a Dell Axim skin and a larger skin for my regular PC.
Sean

Rob H
October 31st, 2007, 07:00 PM
I've certainly used tabletop touchscreens before now (and will be doing so again once I've got the new house sorted out).

jwilson56
October 31st, 2007, 08:18 PM
Check out this thread... some pictures of nice wall mounted screens. I bought one of these but have not mounted it yet because I am planning on moving.

John

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=8409

harleydude
October 31st, 2007, 09:45 PM
I bought the same touchscreen as John. Mine is mounted in a wall between the kitchen and living room. I am running my LCARS interface on it and once complete I will be very pleased with it.

windrockwater
November 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM
Harley, that LCARS interface is really cool. Are you making that available to others? I would LOVE to modify it for my setup.

I am going to try and work up a wall (or desktop) mount touchscreen for my wife and also between the kitchen and living room on the hallway wall. Fishing wires there will be a pain and of course before i do it i will get it working first. I also saw that ebay link and was intrigued.

John, i have been following your setup for years now and have followed in your wake from SlinkE changer to multi amps. Thanks a million! I have all my music on my HD now so the CDs are sitting in the changer collecting dust along with my trusty old slink-e. :)

If a touchscreen setup works as i hope, it should be a full fledged setup similar to crestron or others (well in my mind maybe). Poor mans crestron....
Sean

jwilson56
November 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM
Once you go touch screen you will never go back. Having your entire CD library at your literally at your finger tip is awesome. Very wife friendly. I listen to more of my 800 CD's than I ever did before because they are easy to browse and search.

One tip... make sure your most used buttons are large enough to be used with your finger. Also make sure you get a passive touch screen so you don't have to always use a stylus.

John

Rob H
November 1st, 2007, 11:49 AM
You should be able to do much better than a Crestron or AMX really.

windrockwater
November 1st, 2007, 12:12 PM
Actually you are right about it being potentially better than Crestron. I get to see a lot of ultra-high end (mucho $$$$) whole house systems because of the job and my home brewed system is very comparable already for what must be 1/10th of the cost. And I know i have only taken it so far. I think the touchscreen will be off-the-wall on-the wall.

Finally, I would LOVE it if LDJ were ever released to let me get the DVD profiler/DVD changer working for selecting DVDs and hitting the 'play' IR code. Seems so close and so simple to IR-send the 3 digit slot. But the lua coding and other types of programming have always taken me sooo much time. Actually i have NO experience with lua other than modifying some of the skin download files.

Well, i think i am going to take the plunge on some sort of touchscreen. Is this considered 'passive'?
http://www.elotouch.com/Products/Custom/1525l_custom.asp#documentation

Rob H
November 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM
LDJ2 will be released (in fact a partial version sneaked its way in to one of the G5 builds a while back), but not until I'm settled in to my new house.

It's moving day tomorrow, but I won't have full broadband access until next Thursday at the earliest. You never know, that might give me a bit of time to work on LDJ2 :)

NeoMorph
November 2nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
What is LDJ2?

windrockwater
November 4th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I think its the programming add-on that lets netremote utilize a DVDProfiler database of DVD movies and then send the IR signals to a DVD changer (select slot #, play, etc.).

NeoMorph
November 5th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Ahh.. I'd noticed it in the log a couple of times and did wonder.

Thx for the info.

Cocophone
November 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I think its the programming add-on that lets netremote utilize a DVDProfiler database of DVD movies and then send the IR signals to a DVD changer (select slot #, play, etc.).

I'm still using girder 3.3 and Netremote 1 with LDJ (the first version) I use LDJ with Netremote to view all the media files on my server and information about the file and thumbnail for the media file. I then select the file to play and have Zoom Player start playing the media file. It will use avi, mp4, and iso files for example.

Rob H
November 9th, 2007, 02:59 PM
LDJ2 is the second version of Lua DVD Jukebox - a combination of Girder and NetRemote that presents you with a graphical view of your DVDs and video files. It's a bit tricky to describe - the original version was intended to control DVD Changers as well as video files.

I'll try to expand on this when I have a bit more time as I'm only just getting back up to speed

kwaugh
November 14th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I use a display from these folks:

http://www.ivcdisplays.com/WinCE_Products.htm

Rock solid, made for industrial uses and the support is awesome...

speedbump49
November 30th, 2007, 11:02 PM
This company looks like it makes the perfect solution for hosting Netremote, even has POE.

http://www.zykronix.com/products-rbr-family-touch-screens-rbr84.php

rickd
December 6th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Will LDJ 2 support ripped dvd's on hard drive too?

Rob H
December 6th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Yes, in fact I'm not sure about how I'm going to add support for DVD changers since mine is now kaput :(