View Full Version : Suggestions for a new receiver

November 28th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I'm in the market for a new receiver and while there's plenty of A\V forums out there, I specifically would like to hear recommendations from other Girder users.

I currently use a Denon AVR-3803 and have been extremely happy with it (it's getting semi-retired to the bedroom). I'm inclined to stick with Denon, but are there any strong contenders anyone would recommend? Some of the newer Denons have an ethernet connection- is there much benefit to this over serial control? I'm hoping that the newer models can be accessed\configured via a web browser, but I honestly have done little research (this came up very suddenly. When my wife says "why don't we put a big plasma TV in the bedroom I tend to buy first, ask later :D)

I don't have to have the "latest and greatest" (I'd rather buy second hand off eBay or Craig's list). The features that are most important to me are 1) support high def, 2) 7.1 surround, 3) the more component inputs the better, 4) must support serial control, preferably RS-232, and 5) must have a fully functional G4 or G5 plug in (I'm really not up to writing another one...)

I'm happy enough with the 3803 that I may just pick up another used one on the cheap. Anybody have any experience with a <$1000 unit that has features superior enough to the 3803 to justify the cost difference?

January 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I also would like to hear from people that have receivers with rs-232 or Ethernet on them. I might be in the market for a new one soon and would like to control it with G5.

Rob H
January 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I'd certainly go with another Denon - no specific model recommendations though. Possibly a 2308CI or 2808CI (as far as I can tell the 2808 has more inputs and outputs, but otherwise they're pretty similar). Or maybe even the xx07 equivalents which should be cheaper.

January 13th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I picked up a 3808CI a few weeks ago, am very happy with it performance-wise. Haven't hooked G5 up to it yet though.

January 30th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Looked at you setup last night. Which receiver would you reccommend as a replacement for the Technics that you have in your system? Should I just look for a good one with IR? Or something else.

January 30th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Actually I still see many good used Technics on Ebay still. Can't beat paying <$55 for each one to use for aux zones. I still use my Sony ES for my home theater zone. I picked up a space one myself just to have in case one does die.

But if you want to buy new I would take a look at the Sony - 200W 2.0-Ch. Stereo Receiver Model: STR-DE197. I would imagine that it should be able to find most of the discreet IR commands for it. About $130 at Amazon

You might look on remotecontrolcentral.com and look to see what discreet codes are available first to help make the decision.

February 21st, 2008, 08:31 AM
This is very good question, would be great to have a list of receivers where girder plugins/GML's are created. I might be soon looking for some userd ammplifier for additional audio zone. Some zones, like kitchen, bathroom are not that quality demanding, as you always have some other sounds around you, however, ability to control via girder (not through IR as that is one way communication) is necessity. If we could have a table with "receiver name"; "LAN yes/no"; "COM port"; "1 way/2way communication"; "Girder 5 compatibility" and finally linke to the thread or plugin it would really help to expand our autio zones with spending a lot of time trying to match every used receiver on sale against some treads around in this forum.

I found following plugins in Girder 4 download area (not sure if they are compatible with Girder 5 however)
1. Denon 3805 (interesting if that works with other models like 3801 or 3806)
2. Rotel RX 1055
3. Rotel 1098
4. Denon General (doe not say what models are supported)
5. Harman Kardon AVR 435/635
6. Meridian G68
7.MArantz SR-8500 (might work with 7500)
8. Yamaha DSP Z9

I am sure there are many more receivers that are used today (not through IR again). I do remember reading about Denon 4306 that has LAN connection, Yamaha 2500 vis RS 232 and some others, but those plugins are not in a download are for some reason.

If we can collect all receivers and add them to sticky, would be great.

February 21st, 2008, 08:37 PM
The plug-in included w\ G5 works great with both my Denon 3803 and 3808CI. For serial control of the 3803 you have to buy or make (easy) a DB-9 to 1\8" plug. I used ethernet for control of the 3808CI. It works flawlessly but you do need to add a few lines to G5's startup script. Here's a thread about that, it's very simple, and I'd recommend it over serial any day. http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16597&highlight=4306&page=3

I wrote the general Denon plugin for G4 (with a tremendous amount of help from others on the forum). It worked well for me but as Ron has pointed out it's rather inefficient in how it handles a few things (oh well, I'm a dentist, not a programmer :D ) It should support all Denon receivers w\ a serial connection. The 3805 plugin is just the general plugin with a little bit of the code stripped out.

March 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I do prefer LAN as well, but it seems so few units that support that at the moment. LAN could be the only cable between Media PC and receiver. This would hopefully enably to control receiver as well as stream digital music stream to it. This helps a lot for remote audio zones. The only problem I foresee is that is reasonably expensive. I have one good AV receiver that I use to listen in my two main audio zones. I have then an idea of adding zones to areas where you have external noice (garage, terrace, shower room) where "best quality" is not that important. I would like to place there some 200 usd second hand receiver with possibility to control it via LAN or COM port. This is not 3808CI unfortunatelly...

Common guys, I know you have more working examples.