PDA

View Full Version : Good device without alternating codes

mslide
January 1st, 2008, 11:29 AM
I've searched the forums, and can't find an answer to this...

Setup: Girder 5 + USB-UIRT + Universal Remote MX-810

Like many others here, I'm having problems with alternating codes. The answer I see in other posts is usually "map more than one raw event to the event mapping" or "use a device that doesn't have alternating codes". I like the latter option, but I haven't seen a good suggestion for a device that doesn't use alternating codes. I don't care what the device is, since I can program my remote to emulate it.

So...

What are some good devices that do not use alternating codes, at all. I've tried every remote I have lying around with no luck. I've also tried programming my MX-810 with some random devices and still no luck. Every one alternates between at least 3-5 codes per button.

Here's what I've tried:
Denon receiver
MCE remote (probably the worst with alternating)
Sony LCD TV
Sony DVD/VCR
Samsung LCD TV (this was the best, but still alternates between about 2-3 codes per button)
Comcast DVR box
Tivo

I know somebody out there has found a good device that does not alternate, no matter how long you press the button or how quickly you hit the buttons.

Or, does somebody know which IR protocol does not alternate? RC-6?

Rob H
January 1st, 2008, 11:40 AM
That doesn't sound right - alternating codes normally only cycle between two different codes.

I'd recommend trying a Toshiba - but are you sure you don't have something else that's interfering with the IR signal? Common sources of interference being fluorescent lighting and plasma TVs. If you can isolate the USB-UIRT and remote e.g. inside a cardboard box, you could eliminate that as a possibility.

mslide
January 1st, 2008, 12:13 PM
At first I was using my MX-810 with Universal's MRF-350 RF base station. There is an IR emitter, coming from the RF base station, stuck on to the front of the USB-UIRT. I then completely taped over it, with electrical tape. With that setup, each successive button press resulted in a different code showing up in Girder's log. This was with using a Toshiba DVD device.

I then took the RF base station out of the picture. All the lights were turned off, I cleared girder's log, and turned my LCD off. All of the blinds were closed as well. With the remote pointed directly at the usb-uirt, and my hands trying to cover it up to further shield it, it worked much better, but still not perfect. Generally, each button only emitted one code, but I'd still see a different one show up now and again.

So, I'm guessing my RF base station is causing some problems. Anybody have a similar setup as mine and have a good solution. I know my MX-810 and MRF-350 are not broken, as I've been using them for months and they have worked flawlessly with all of my other components. Not a single command has been missed since I've gotten this remote and base station.

I'll keep trying other things.

Rob H
January 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM
The question is does this only affect learning codes or does it also occur when running normally - if the former then you would be okay with the existing equipment.

I wonder if you're getting electrical interference rather than IR that's being picked up by the USB port / cable. Is the USB-UIRT plugged in directly or via a hub? Try it in different USB ports in case that makes a difference.

mslide
January 1st, 2008, 02:19 PM
I messed around with a lot of things. My conclusion is that there is no such thing as a device that only emits 1 code, all the time, no matter what... at least with my setup anyway. With the toshiba devices, 75% it would emit the same code, the other times I'd get anywhere up to 8 or so different codes.

The samsung devices are working the best. I still get different codes once in a while for the same button. The different codes are not random either. I'll stick with this for now.

Edit: Scratch that. I'm using a panasonic DVD device now and it works great. Much more reliable now.