PDA

View Full Version : Shared GML Files Across Network

jsonnabend
January 4th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Is it possible for two Girder instances running on different machines to use the same GML file located on a network share?

- Jeff

Rob H
January 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I suppose so - providing you don't make changes to that GML from more than one PC. However, it may be worth designating one PC as the 'Master' and using Girder2Girder to send GMLs to other machines instead.

jsonnabend
January 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I suppose so - providing you don't make changes to that GML from more than one PC. However, it may be worth designating one PC as the 'Master' and using Girder2Girder to send GMLs to other machines instead.
Changes in what sense, you mean manual changes?

Does the Girder program read the file only at startup, or does it process it some other way? If it's the former, I would only have to setup my machines to periodically poll the GML for changes and restart Girder or reload the GML as necessary.

- Jeff

Rob H
January 6th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Yes, I mean manual changes.

I think it will work, but make sure you keep backups just in case.

Do take a look at Girder2Girder though as this will let you push a GML to other machines on the network when you want to (ie when you've tested that it works on a dev machine) and will automatically load the pushed GML.

Marquis
January 15th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Hi,

I am using a network share for my .gml files. All my Girder instances are loading their gml-files from that network share. I have three computers sharing one file and I have no access violations.

Editing in one Girder and save the changes of cause do not impact the other machines until they reboot or reload the gml. Also keep in mind that the last save is always overwriting the current version on disk. If you make changes on two Girders at the same time, the last one saved is the latest version.

cu
Marc