PDA

View Full Version : Girder4 + NetRemote2 + USBUIRT (trial programs)

enaybee
January 6th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Hello,

I have Girder4 (trial), Netremote2 (trial) and USB-UIRT. I am trying to use netremote 2 to send actions to girder 4, which are then passed through usbuirt to my dish pro 301 to change channels or volume up & down. All of these softwares are on the same computer.

Ultimately what I am trying to do (after having any success in the first step give n above)is this - I will try to use Netremote on another machine and send actions over internet to a host machine running girder 4, to pass these actions to usb uirt to my dish pro 301 for changing channels or volume up and down.

Any help? I am a total noob. So far I have made my system learn the remote commands (from dish pro 301 remote) for volume up and down on my computer through girder 4 and usbuirt. But I want this to work the other way, send commands from my pc to stb. Like the following

netremote2 -> girder4 -> usbuirt -> dish pro 301 (stb) = change channels or volume up and down.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rob H
January 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM
The first step is to teach the USB-UIRT plugin the commands for your STB from the remote.

Make sure you're using the Expert Interface (View|Expert Interface)

Create a new GML file (File|New)

In the Action tree on the main Girder window you should see a group for the USB-UIRT, open that group and drag a USB-UIRT action to your newly created GML

You should now see the USB-UIRT action dialog. Press the "Learn IR Code" button and learn one of the codes from your remote (some remotes require you to hold the remote very close to the USB-UIRT when learning codes).

After learning an event, save the GML (Ctrl-S) and test the code (pointing the USB-UIRT towards the device in question).

Once you've learned and tested the codes we can progress to the next step (probably tomorrow as it's getting late here in the UK).

enaybee
January 6th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks Rob for your quick response.
Let me try this first and I will post my progress in a little bit.
Thanks again.

enaybee
January 6th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Done. I was able to make Girder 4 learn a couple of commands and test them on the stb.
Please let me know how to use netremote to send these same signals to usbuirt via girder whenever you get a chance.

Thanks alot.

Rob H
January 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM
That was quick :)

There are a couple of ways of approaching this (at least 3!)

My preferred way is to start in NetRemote Designer (NRD from now on).

Create a CCF and add buttons that correspond to the actions that you've learnt in Girder.

Suppose we're creating a Play button.

Create the button in NRD - double click on it, and in the Action Designer tab go to Plugins|Girder (-1)

Drag "Send event to Girder on Release" from the tree on the left hand side to the right hand side. A dialog box should appear - in the Event field type

STB.PLAY

Save the CCF and switch to NetRemote (you may have to use Tools|Send Interface to NetRemote the first time).

Switch to NetRemote and press the button you've just created.

Switch to Girder and open the Logger if it isn't already open (F4 or View|Logger).

You should see the STB.PLAY event in the logger - drag it to the action you created for the play button on the remote. (Oops, just realised that I should have suggested that you name each of the actions appropriately - sorry about that).

Save the GML just in case.

Switch back to NetRemote and press the button again - the STB.PLAY event should now be triggered and should send the IR to your STB.

Once you've done this for one event you can see how the process goes - in practice you don't need to save the CCF each time you add a new button, you can create all the buttons and their corresponding events either in one go or in batches.

As I said earlier, this isn't the only way to do this - or even the quickest, but it's my preferred method and is pretty reliable.

enaybee
January 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks again. Its Monday so office begins, i may not be able to get to these steps today but I will update as soon as I get done with the steps.

enaybee
January 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Awesome. Thanks alot Rob.
I was able to design a couple of controls and link them in the Girder where I defined the learned actions. I can transmit the signals from USB-UIRT to STB using NetRemote Interface via girder.
Now, the next step is to use NetRemote on another computer and send the actions via internet to girder on a host machine. this host machine has the girder and USB-UIRT installed on it.
What I think (haven't tried yet) that if I take the same .ccf file and put it on another computer and define girder pass through with address of host machine and port defined properly for netremote I may be able to switch channels over the internet.
Let me do this and see how far I am able to go. I will get back to you for feedback and updates.
Once again, Thanks Rob, you were of great help

Rob H
January 9th, 2008, 04:03 AM
You won't want to use Girder Passthrough as that expects to receive the IR code straight from NetRemote.

enaybee
January 9th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I understand. It may have been a typo but while I was reading the "tips" at the startup of NetRemote, it was clear that for what I am trying to do Drive Mode = Passthrough is the way to go.

Updates: I put netremote on a machine @ work and connected it to girder on my computer at home and I was able to switch channels, volume power down and whole lot of features.

Simply amazing that how powerful girder and netremote could be.

Rob once again, thanks for all your help.

Rob H
January 10th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Glad it's working for you now.