PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Use LCD 3.4

mikesusangray
January 17th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Hi!

I've had Girder for a quite a while, but I've never got very good at using it. I also have an DIY hd44780 LCD that I've been running with jaLCDs. I'd like to try running it through Girder, though.

So, I installed LCD 3.4 and got the test screen to show. But so far, that's all I know how to do. I also found the LCDTests.gml file and added in.

But that's about as far as I can go so far. I'd like to have it do the stuff jaLCDs used to do - that is, show things like the date, time and temperature, then switch to show Foobar info when music is playing. I'd also like to learn how to make it work with DVDSpy and show DVD informatin when Zoomplayer is running.

Can any one direct me to something like a tutorial, or may even some stuff that is already written and only needs to be tweaked? I spent a while searching the forums but didn't make much headway.

Best,

Mike

quixote
January 17th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Just out of curiosity, have you tried using the LCD plugin written by MMcM?
There are actions that you can use from the tree to scroll text and variables across the screen. You could easily make use of that along with a simple timer to set up what you want to do. Of course, that all depends on whether or not your LCD is supported by that plugin.

quixote
January 17th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Looking into it a bit further, I see that your LCD is in fact supported.

mikesusangray
January 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Looking into it a bit further, I see that your LCD is in fact supported.

Erm - as far as I can tell the pluging I have "LCD 3.4" is MMcM's plugin. Or am I missing something?

If I had an example of the way someone has created something like jaLCDs or LCDSmartie would, I could probably work my way from there - say something that would return a screen (20x4) like this:

Line1: Load: 42 - 50 - 20%
Line2: C: 10 GB - D: 53 GB
Line3: H: 44 GB - F: 2 GB
Line4: 17 Jan, 15:12:39

Or do people use external programs like jaLCDs or LCDSmartie to dothis kind of stuff?

Best,

Mike

quixote
January 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Look at the action tree on the left in expert view and you'll see a folder for LCD. You can set up an action to display any variable you'd like, and you can even have it scroll across the screen.

mikesusangray
January 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Ah - nice! Thanks.

Now I see. I wonder if there's a (simple) way to change the scroll rate. It's a bit slow for my purposes.

Girder seems *potentially* far more powerful (and stable!) than the dedicated LCD programs, but the DIY quotient seems to be a good deal higher. (Which is saying something - getting a DIY LCD to work under any circumstances isn't exactly point and click!)

Mike

P.S. Do other people also have trouble logging into this forum? I go through the login sequence, but it keeps repeating itself. The only way to get into the forum is to click the reverification link I received some time ago in an email. Really weird.