PDA

View Full Version : PowerDVD7 and Girder v4

bpsg119
January 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Is anyone else having problems with the latest version of PowerDVD and girder? I just upgraded to vista to get HD-DVD and Bluray playback which necessitated a change from zoom player to powerdvd. So far I can't get girder to talk to the software, even though the keyboard shortcuts that are supposed to be sent do actually work when I use a keyboard.

I'm probably going to install zoom player for regular dvds because I know I can get my remote working for it. Very frustrating problem.

Rob H
January 22nd, 2008, 03:14 AM
You'll have to play with the targeting I guess.

rfielder
January 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
You'll have to play with the targeting I guess.
I have been totally unable to get Girder to work with PowerDVD Ultra (7), or WinDVD 8.

I have no idea what the above comment means. Could you expand on that, please?

rfielder
January 22nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
In the FWIW column, I pulled the PowerDVD 5 gml file into a text editor, and had a look. It has Power DVD 5 as the application name.

When I bring up the list of active applications, it shows "PowerDVD", not "PowerDVD 5".

Is Girder doing a string match to find the application, and missing it since the names are not the same?

Rob H
January 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
That's quite possible. Look in the help under Actions Reference|Keyboard Actions especially the entry for the window picker.

Someone may already have done this of course, but not uploaded their updated GML.

rfielder
January 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
That's quite possible. Look in the help under Actions Reference|Keyboard Actions especially the entry for the window picker.
A couple of impressions of Girder:

1> there has not been much development of plug in for a long time.

2> if it works for you, great. If not, you can expect to have to become a programming guru to figure out how it works, and why it isn't working for you

3> a lot of advice here assumes a pretty deep knowledge of the product. For anyone just trying to make a remote control work, that is both discouraging and intimidating

I appreciate the efforts of those who respond, but answers for people new to the product need to be more detailed and drastically simplified. I actually found stuff as mentioned in the quote above, but I have no idea what to do with it, what it means, or where to use it.

Rob H
January 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
There has been lots of work on plugins - but not so much on GMLs. Many GMLs are user provided and we often have to rely on users to upload them.

We do ask users to familiarise themselves with the program and the manual if at all possible, that's the way to get the most out of it.

I'm just downloading PowerDVD 7 now - but it's coming down at about 8k/sec so it may have to wait until tomorrow before I can take a look at it.

DCKJR
February 6th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I am also having issues with Girder 4.0 and PowerDVD Ultra 7.3. It appears to be disabling the computer's serial connection. With PowerDVD installed, the error message in the girder logger displays as: "could not open denon avr on comport1 error -103 2". Further digging shows that within the serial plug-in settings, comport1 is no longer associated with the denon avr. I can reassociate comport1 manually, but the association will not stick if I exit girder, restart the lua engine, restart my computer, etc. I do not know if the fault lies with girder or powerdvd, but if i uninstall powerdvd, this issue goes away; girder works as it used to, comport1 maintains associativity with denon avr, and there are no serial errors.

Rob H
February 6th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Sounds like PowerDVD is opening the comport - possibly looking for a remote controller. From your description it looks like it's only doing this at startup. If you start Girder manually rather than with Windows does it then connect to the Denon?

DCKJR
February 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Yes. If I start Girder manually (ie not automatically with start of Windows) then the Denon serial plugin remains associated with Com Port 1.

ctiq21
March 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I was able to get Girder 4 to work with PowerDVD 7. I created my own GML file and used the keyboard commands to get it working. Just drag over numerous keyboard functions into your GML group and then under the string (double click the keyboard wrench) enter in the characters. ( i think R was for the root menu, etc)

Look in the manual of PowerDVD to see what characters do what. For the up, down, left, right, you have to enter in <UP> instead of hitting the up arrow. The girder help file is pretty good explaining how to do it.

After you get that all entered just add an event to each keyboard entry to your remote.

Works pretty good for me, I am just having issues having PowerDVD along with Zoomplayer working at the same time. I need to figure out how focus and windows conditional works.