PDA

View Full Version : ADS Kinamax USBX-707 IR Blaster setup

mech141
January 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Has anyone gotten the USBX-707 by kinamax to work with Girder? Any help setting up this IR receiver/blaster would be great. I installed the provided drivers. Hardware manager recognizes it. I just can't figure out what I need to do to get it to work with Girder. Is there a specific girder plugin I should use?

Thanks.

tidusx
January 25th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm having the same problem...I purchased the ADS IR blaster from tiger direct (just the IR blaster, not the tuner) and I can't seem to get it to work with Girder. I'm using Girder 4.0 and *trying to use my Harmony 520 remote control. I do not have any TV tuner installed.

System specs:
EVGA Nvidia 680i motherboard
EVGA GeForce 6800gt SC
Duo core 2.66Gh
4Gigs or corsair ram
ADS USB IR blaster/receiver (didn't come with driver, had to go to ADStech.com to download)
Harmony 520 remote control

Now, I have no idea how this should be setup. I've read the PDF manual and other help stuff, but nothing gives me a solution. If someone knows what to do please try to explain it as detailed and as simple as possible. I have moderate to advanced computer knowledge, but for some reason this Girder program really confuses me.

Thanks in advance.

mech141
January 25th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Have you enable the USB-UIRT plugin? I **think** this needs to be enabled. Mine doesn't work but it might for you.
In GUI:
Main--> plugins-->enable USB-UIRT

Let me know if it works for you.

tidusx
January 26th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I tried it, but with no luck...maybe the ADS IR blaster isn't supported... :(

If anyone knows how to make a plugin for the ADS IR blaster please do. I would very much appreciate it. If someone is going to make it let me know so I don't return the IR blaster. Thanks!

Also, looking for a plugin for the core media player...

RogerWilco
January 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I stumbled on this thread after ordering a couple Kinamax ADS IR blasters to test with for a company project. Needless to say, they don't work with the software (Girder) that they are advertised to work with on the tigerdirect site where they were purchased.

From TigerDirect:
"KINAMAX ADS IR Blaster Remote Control Signal Sender
IR Blaster, along with Automation Software such as Girder, allows your PC to both Receive and Transmit infrared signals -- exactly like those used by the collection of remote controls you've acquired for your TV, VCR, Audio System, etc. IR Blaster contains a small micro-controller which is capable of 'listening' for Infrared codes which are transmitted from most remote controls. When IR signals are detected, the IR Blaster interprets these signals, decodes them, and sends them to your PC via a USB connection. Automation Software such as Girder can be programmed to respond to these codes. In addition, software on the PC can send IR codes to IR Blaster to be transmitted. IR Blaster's microcontroller will translate these codes to an Infrared stream and transmit them using built-in IR emitters or a connected IR extension."

I tried calling ADS. They claimed that this particular product was bought by Kinamax. ADS will not support the product unless it is used with the software it was designed for. They recommended I call Kinamax for support.

Kinamax doesn't have a direct phone number listed, but I did a little digging and they seem to be owned or at least affiliated with a company called Nexark. Nexark does have a phone number (626-369-3200). I called them up and was told that they have never tried to use these devices with any software, let alone Girder. They just bought them in bulk from ADS and are reselling them under the Kinamax name, apparently without verifying if they actually work as individual units! They recommended that I speak to ADS about the issue...ha!

Very strange....

I wonder how many people have bought these and are now unable to use them as advertised.

smnc
March 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM
The reason the ADS IR Blaster sounds so much like the USB-UIRT is because the description is lifted completely from the USB-UIRT website, both on the Kinamax website and from Tiger Direct.

smnc
March 14th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I did some research and here's what I have:
ADS originally bundled this device with their TV tuners (Instant TV deluxe).
The ADS Tuners are bundled with, and meant to be used with SnapStream Beyond TV.
Apparently the ADS IR Blaster works fine with Beyond TV.

ADS NEVER advertised this device for use with Girder or any other software, and only sold them for use with their tuners.
It looks like someone at Kinamax had a mental breakdown and thought the ADS IR Blaster are USB-UIRTs and copied the USB-UIRT information to the Kinamax page. TigerDirect just uses the manufacturer's page, so they copied their info from Kinamax.

And now, here we are!
It should be possible for someone with better programming skills than me to create a GIRDER plug-in for this device...

ADSemployee
April 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hello,
I came across this forum while doing some research into the USBX-707. I work for ADS as tech support and we have received a few calls on this device. I would like to first say sorry for the inconvenience you all are experiencing with the purchase. It was not our intentions for customers to have this issue. Nexark/Kinamax did purchase a bulk of USBX-707's from us. They agreed to take full responsibility for the products.
Smnc is right. We support the device when used in Beyond TV and MediaTV3. The device works fine in both programs. The USBX-707 was designed almost 4 years ago. In it's initial design it was fully compatible in Girder at the time. Unfortunately we have not tested it in a newer version of Girder. I cannot confirm if the device is 100% compatible or not.

smnc
April 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Smnc is right. We support the device when used in Beyond TV and MediaTV3. The device works fine in both programs. The USBX-707 was designed almost 4 years ago. In it's initial design it was fully compatible in Girder at the time. Unfortunately we have not tested it in a newer version of Girder. I cannot confirm if the device is 100% compatible or not.

Well, it's always nice to be right, lol... Damn Kinamax!

Anyway, do you know what version of Girder it's usable with? What driver/plug-in is used for Girder?

Thanks!

jslm20
May 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Does anyone have the original software that came the usbx-707. I have been to the manufacteres website and their download link is broken and has been for several days now.