PDA

View Full Version : Can Girder Restart A Windows Service?

EViS
March 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Question: As per title, is it possible for girder to restart a windows service?

Background: I use MediaPortal TV Server which does crash every now and again, it is a real pain to get to the PC, into windows services and manually clicking restart on the TV Server service. I would much prefer to be able to press a button on my Harmony remote which would restart the service straight away...

Any feedback appreciated!

Rob H
March 9th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Not directly I don't think, but you could probably use the NET START command

EViS
March 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Ok, so create a batch file and then point girder to that?

Rob H
March 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Or just use an OS|File Execute action

EViS
March 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM
That is what I have done and it works like a dream :). I used an OS / File Execute action and pointed that towards the batch file I created... Is there another way (out of interest)?

For anyone else who may be wanting to do something similar here is the sort of batch file you will need to make. Copy/Paste it into a .txt file and rename this file to .bat.

@echo off
REM - File: tv service restart.bat
REM - Description: Restart's Mediaportal Tv Service.
echo Restarting Mediaportal Tv Service...
echo ================================================== ====
net stop "TVService"
net start "TVService"
echo ================================================== ====
echo Mediaportal Tv Service Restarted

Rob H
March 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM
You could use a macro and have two OS|File Execute actions that do the net stop and net start directly.

noxx2
March 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
are you the same EVIS as in lucky satellite ?

if yes:

habe sowas mal für Mediaportal gemacht vielleicht guckst du mal in deutsche forum unter Tipps und Tricks und dann "Zwischen 2 Displays hin und herschalten"

vielleicht kennst du dich mit Girder einwenig aus, ich möchte einige MP Funktionen per OSD Menü in Girder regeln, mein Wissen ist aber leider begrenzt. Hier bekommt man auch nicht wirklich Hilfe und deutsche Foren kenne ich auch nicht die sich etwas mehr mit Girder auseinander setzten.

EViS
March 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
are you the same EVIS as in lucky satellite ?

if yes:

Nope sorry, I don't speak German. Although what's that to do with MediaPortal?

noxx2
March 10th, 2008, 02:03 AM
nothing, i know that EVIS use also Mediaportal and can speak german.

i use differnet BAT Files (Shutdown Windows, Restart TV Service and a BAT to switch between 2 Monitors etc) for
MP, but its all in german and you can find it in the german-mediaportal forum.

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tipps-tricks-tutorials-176/zwischen-2-displays-hin-und-herschalten-mit-girder-35790/

ctiq21
March 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
You should be able to go into the service and under the recovery tab have it restart if it fails. no need to do a batch file or anything.