PDA

View Full Version : Can't get event.exe to work

xsdaver
April 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I've been using Girder to do the most basic things. It's been working fine with XP, but doesn't seem to work after the Vista upgrade. I send a string from another application, Girder does it's task. For some reason, it's not seeing the string from event.exe. I went ahead and created a shortcut as described in the reference manual and logged events, but no event was seen.

Did something change in Vista that changes how event.exe works?

mhund
April 7th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Is it possible that this is related to security/admin right issues? vista is a little bit sensible for that ...

xsdaver
April 7th, 2008, 09:33 AM
There is no security message saying something is happening and asking for approval. I've also discovered that Girder actions work when I'm logged in as me, an Administrator, but not when logged in as a user. So maybe the security suggestion is right. I'll look into it some more, but would like to hear from others using Girder and Vista.

jonkjon
April 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I discovered that the only way to fire an event from another application on Vista is if you set the applications compatibility/Privilege level to "run as administrator".
I am, however, having a problem with an application called housebot that used to use ieventc with girder to generate events but that application isn't in G5. I am toying with the csevent and event applications but am not having much luck. I want to upgrade my g5 pro version to the whole home pro and net remote whole home pro version but i won't until i know that i can get g5 to run alongside housebot.
It's difficult to debug this stuff on Vista without knowing whether or not an app needs to run as admin. And then it's not always easy to make that happen.

Rob H
April 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Make sure that you have the comserver plugin enabled in G5 or csevent won't work.

jonkjon
April 12th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Yes, the comserver plugin is enabled and configured.