PDA

View Full Version : NRD Blocks Internet Connection

dsmes
May 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
I have Girder 5, NetRemote, and NRD all installed on the same machine. Typically, G5 and NR run all the time. What I've noticed is that after NRD has been opened and running awhile, it blocks the internet connection for the whole computer. Scheduled Lua events within G5 error because they can't connect, NR won't retrieve a web page, and non Promixis programs (e.g. Firefox, IE, other programs) cannot access the web. If I close NRD, within seconds, all programs can now access the web again.

This took awhile to figure out because you can have NRD open for tens of minutes before it blocks the web. It's quite unpredictable what triggers it to block. I think it may have even taken an hour or so on occasion. But one thing is very repeatable- If I return to my computer after an absence, and I see nothing can access the web, sure enough NRD will be running. And within seconds of closing NRD, all is well. Very repeatable.

This has been going on since NR v..104 and NRD v..42 if not before.

Has anyone elso observed this behavior with this setup?

jwilson56
May 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
I have seen this with the older version but not recently so its either been fixed or the fact that I am now on a new PC means its hardware dependent.

dsmes
May 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Could it be OS specific? I'm running XP-Pro SP2 on a 3GHz P4 (I wonder if the wife will let me "stimulate the economy" with our stimulus check). How about you, John?

jwilson56
May 2nd, 2008, 10:26 PM
I am running XP Pro as well with an Abit IP35-E MB.

dsmes
January 1st, 2009, 11:14 PM
Whenever I can't browse the internet, I look to see if NRD is running. It always is when this problem occurs. When I close NRD, within seconds, I can access the internet again. Does anyone else experience this problem? If not, I'll probably have to reinstall WinXP as I have no other explanation. I'm at NRD v2.0.0.8 but this problem has been around for several versions... at least for me. Anyone?

To be clear, NRD is usually running for a 10's of minutes to a few hours before it blocks internet access. It doesn't happen right away. This is a repeatable problem on my system, only the duration to breakdown varies...

Rob H
January 2nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Do you know what motherboard (or at least the motherboard chipset) that machine is using?

Mike C
January 2nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Do you know what motherboard (or at least the motherboard chipset) that machine is using?

i actually have seen this happen with just the MB and G5 running - not NR or NRD.

dsmes
January 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Do you know what motherboard (or at least the motherboard chipset) that machine is using?It's a Asus P4P800-E motherboard for a P4 and has an Intel 865PE and ICH5R chipset. I'm using the on-board Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet controller.

Rob H
January 2nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
I've seen this happen under all sorts of circumstances - it used to happen to me quite a lot under XP but nowhere near as much under Vista, but that may just as easily be because I'm running different hardware rather than a different OS.