View Full Version : 7" wall mounted touchscreen PC!

May 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Will netremote work on windows ce 5.0 embedded...?

If it does then this may answer many a prayer

Can anyone see any problems in using this?

May 27th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Ouch! My wallet hurts! :eek:

Rob H
May 27th, 2008, 06:10 AM
It should work yes. Interesting that they have an SDK to improve the speed of applications rather than using the .Net Compact Framework.

Nice device and not all that expensive really.

May 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
seen cheaper mr mastiff?

May 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM
No, but I just think it's a lot of money for something so limited. I would rather buy a touchscreen on eBay and a Via Mini-ITX pc to put behind the wall, under something or on the attic if I wanted something very simple. Then again, being me, I would of course use a full computer with a Q6600 and a 24" touchscreen! ;)

May 29th, 2008, 05:34 AM
... or even get a mini-ITX PC (fanless of course) and a 17" LCD with touch screen kit from ebay (yeah I went that way)... works just as well.

Oh yeah and it's running xp-home (and this is what I'm writing on now using the second screen attached to it in the bedroom while the touchscreen is in the living room...)

May 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Something like Samsung Q1 can be had for about $500 these days...

May 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
i was really after something flushed into the wall - that looks like it grew there (see the att. photos of my mce display before i discovered netremote)

May 30th, 2008, 10:52 AM
With that wall depth you can almost use a CRT touchscreen! :D No problem fitting a large touchscreen and a miniITX inside there!

June 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM

i bottled out of the ce touchscreen in favour of something that i didn't have to wait to boot up, connect to wlan, connect to girder, etc (plus the fact that the price of it would have cost me wife points...)

i went for a 7" vga touchscreen, vga extender & usb extender (all of which i've tested upto 130m!)

all i need now is a drywall saw, the missus to go out for the day and a big bag of enthusiasm!

June 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
and rewire the loft rack.
create new ccf.
sort out my girder bits.
sort out chromoflex rgb lighting.
get alarm system working from velleman usb board.
fix hdmi over cat5 from pc to all tele's & finally build the conservatory to house the speakers for zone 4!

June 3rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
All in all you followed our advice, then! ;) Nice about those extenders, btw. Where and how much?

June 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
7" touchscreen 142.50

USB extender 20
eebayy (in my shed from previous mesing around...) - these are usually listed as 35m max, but as a mouse runs at low speed it goes further (135m tested and stable...)

VGA extender 50 (in my shed gathering dust from previous job that never kicked off...)

a bit of shopping may reveal cheaper, but i gots to have it now!

June 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
hi, im thinking of doing something similar, currently use PPCs for control, but love the idea of a wall mounted touch screen.

I also have a linitx 7" touch screen floating around from a previous car PC (and a rack in the loft!) - any ideas how you plan to make it all look nice when in the wall?

Have you got another bezel made up?

June 4th, 2008, 04:03 AM
May I ask you why not Lilliput screens?

Let us know how USB and VGA extenders work, this seems to be a good solution.

Are you planning to connect this screen directly to Girder, Net Remote 24/7 PC??? I wonder, if it is possible to stream only NetRemote picture into this screen, while another screen connected to the same PC would be showing "the rest". I would plan to use same computer for few other tasks and if I bring some other application on screen, I do not want that this picture would come up on touchscreen in living room.

June 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM
the difference between the lilliput & the linItx is that when you turn off your pc the lilliput displays a dodgy message that won't clear unless you turn of the monitor.

The Lin will switch itself off on vga signal loss & on when that signal is live. (this is ideal if you set up a schedule to turn your pc on/off & also if you forget to turn the screen off after too many sherbets....hic...)

For the sake of 20 i feel the lin is far superior. (general construction and connection to your pc are a lot better.)

see my first attempt at rehousing the lilliput.... Hence why i got the lin ;)

June 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM
My system comprises of a hdmi signal out (via splitter/amp) to three tv's in the house for viewing DVDs on Zoomplayer. (extended desktop) the signal gets to the tv's via a hdmi balun that requires two cat5 cables between send/recv (65 ish). I like Baluns.

Touchscreens x2 (upstairs landing & downstairs kitchen) with netremote on both (via another vga splitter/amp this is the primary monitor with a skanky old dell 15" sitting on top of the rack in the loft for admin stuff)

There is no reason why the two touchscreens can't display seperate instances of netremote as it can be launched into XY positions and (i think) have different ccf's running on both (i.e all your upstairs gear on the upstairs monitor & all the downstairs stuff on the downstairs monitor)

The reason i haven't done this is 1. i can't be bothered and 2. i don't have a spare vga out for it.

DVD control is via a 50 pocket pc from the mghty ebay with a ccf on it soley for use with zoomplayer as the battery runs out quickly & i'm impatient with wireless connections etc......

/end essay.

June 5th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Let me check if I understood your right...

You have one PC with video card having couple video outputs. Probably VGA and HDMI or VGA and DVI. You send standard PC output via VGA to 15" screen on the top of the rack. You send an extended monitor signal via HDMI or DVI out to amplifier, which has 3 HDMI outputs going to three TV Sets. You then control your amplifier to define which TV set gets the signal from amp. Right?

What I didn't understand was what signal gets your touchscreens. Do they get same picture as your 15" screen feeded via VGA splitter? Do they show the same picture then? This would mean that two touchscreens can not be used to control two Video/audio zones at the same time, right?

I know this might be not something you need, but I am looking for solutions to be able to control independantly.

June 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
sorry, i got carried away.

pc in the loft is never used as a "workstation" its solely there for media stuff.

primary monitor vga output hits a 4way splitter feeding the admin 15" (which is hardly ever on) and the touchscreens. (all screens show same)

extended desktop monitor (hdmi) hits a 4way splitter feeding all tv's at once (all screens show the same Zoomplayer DVD)

For your application i would use a matrox multi monitor card (search ebay - 25ish for an old one) which would allow you the required seperate instances of netremote - Different on each display.

HTH, Jim

June 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM
That's easy on any dual output card as well. In my car I have up to four different instances, one main control monitor, one on each of the kids' monitors and one in the rear window (used to send messages to cars behind me, like "stop tailgating me"). The problem is of course that you can't use more than one at a time actively because there's as of now no system (that I know of at least) that can accept mouse input from more than one source at a time. Wish that was possible with VMWare...

Btw there are motherboards with four PCI-E slots out now, so you could have 8 instances on one computer. Pretty nice!

June 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM
nice setup! how often do all the screens get used at precisely the same time?
in my house the possibility of this ever happening is extremely remote, but like you say, it would be great if you could use more than one mouse at a time.
surely there must be something out there that let's you attach a specific mouse /touchscreen to a specific video output, ie mouse 1 to vid 1 & mouse 2 to vid 2 ..?

June 7th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Not that I know of. If there is I would probably kill somebody to get it, though... ;)

Sorry, didn't finish that answer. It's very easy, really. The one in the rear window is a pure slave, controlled by the front one to show either pictures or text. So the main reason I'm using NetRemote there, not just images, is that I can have a "Playing now" from JRMC up, so I can show the cars behind us what we're listening to! :D And the kids' NetRemote instances are controlled from the front monitor. I have to press the touchscreen to give one of them NR, and when one of them has it, the others are blocked until he or she releases it. I can override it on my main control screen, though.

June 7th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Yes, I have read about your system Mastiff :) looks amazing. Also waiting for the last part of HDPC on Norwegian forum, but this is not the subject :) I''ll need to read your carputer article again to see the solution.

June 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Ajocius - the last part came out two weeks ago! ;) Here's the URL: http://www.hardware.no/artikler/mastiff_lager_hdpc_-_del_3/51782

June 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I just got a vision of my next home automation system, in a few years. Using the regular server in the cellar, but with a bit of extra hardware:
7 14" touchscreen monitors with DVI and USB extenders, 6 in different rooms and one outside, all with their own specially made instance of NetRemote, only controlling the music, video and automation in that room. And speakers in all ceilings (at the moment I have ceiling speakers in the master bathroom and the "boy's WC"), all connected to sentrally mounted amps. So basically a more sophisticated version of my current system. That could be very cool! If I ever manage to get the money for something like that....

June 9th, 2008, 07:14 AM
ooops, how could I miss that article... :confused: Perhaps I gave up after 17th of May, as that was initial target ... :)

14" screens sounds big to have in every room, doesn't it? If you plan to just control audio/video in that room (will boys batroom have video as well???) wouldn't it be better looking just 7" or 8" integrated touch screens? I presume you will keep amplifiers in the same room as speakers rather than getting all of them into your cellar (might increase tempreture in cellar to the level that is not healthy to your wine :) ) and draging audio cables to every room??? What touchscreen did you intend to use? Being in Norway myself I could use your advice on best quality/price option. Do you intend to by USB and VGA extenders on ebay or is there some local option?

Outside touchscreen? That sounds interesting. How do you plan to protect it from not so dry west cost weather? Winter?

Do you plan to hook up all LCD's to one PC and have separate and independant pictures on every screen? How many video cards do you plan to use? Sounds really interesting by the way. Hope you get all the money you need and looking forward to new series of articles.

June 10th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I sent it in the 15th, so the delay was in publishing! ;) As for the rest, I have no plans. It was more of a dream. Maybe some time in the future...