PDA

View Full Version : Multiple USB IR Receivers

ghaun
June 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
Hello,

I am trying to have independent control of difference rooms via a dedicated IR receiver for each. I am hoping that within the girder software, there is a capability to determine which USB IR receiver received the command and then command an appropriate action with knowledge of the originating zone or room. I have a xantech 16 router that I will use for sending (routing) IR emitters; though, I need the capability of detecting originating zone or room.

If I were to have 12 different USB IR receiver connected, then I should be able to discern which one received the command and then control certain actions within that room.

I have not yet purchased girder, as I am awaiting an answer to this question. I have touch screens in certain room and will be using NetRemote for similar functions; though, I would like the backup of a simple IR controlled system too.

Thanks,

Gregory

ghaun
August 1st, 2008, 12:05 AM
I still need to know how to implement multiple instances of identical IR receivers.

Thanks.

Rob H
August 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM
I believe you need a special version of the USB-UIRT plugin / driver from Jon Rhees (the designer of the USB-UIRT) for this. Only available from him as I understand.

ghaun
August 15th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Rob,

What if I were using 12 differnet IgorPLug USB receivers?

Thanks,

Gregory

ghaun
August 15th, 2008, 10:40 PM
What about the UDP version?

ghaun
August 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM

ghaun
August 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM

ghaun
August 15th, 2008, 10:42 PM

Rob H
August 16th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I have no idea whether the Igor device and drivers support multiple receivers.

It would be simpler to have different remotes in each room (perhaps a cheap universal remote set to transmit different codes), although there may be a problem if two remotes were in use at the same time.

cjean
August 16th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Gregory,

What your asking is it still to control your HK receiver? If so I don't recommend to use using USB-UIRT or any IR sending device.

The problem is the lenght of the IR string is way too long and cause serious time lags. I've try it my self for increasing/decreasing the volume and your receiver will skip commands.

I would recommend you stay with serial control.

Charles

ghaun
August 25th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Charles,

Actually, these are two separate needs. For the HK receivers, I would like to control 3 separate units via the serial port. I need to modify the existing code to work for 3 separate units. I'm not really sure. I took a guess; though, things did not work as expected.

My other task is IR receiving from 12 different zones and managing the originating zone. Basically, I am looking at having 12 different IgorPlug USB devices and was hoping that I could modify the plugin code to allow for inidividual use. This way I could remove the IR sensor on each and locate it via wire to the individual room. Thus, when a IR was received from each room, I would know where it came from and make individualized responses. My other idea is to use IgorPlug UDP devices. I already have the transmitting of multiple zones accounted for and am planning on using the RT1610 addressable router. I would use this the other way around; though, I would like regular remotes to work in each room.

It would be really nice, if there were some device, that could just tag a single hex code to the beginning of each as it comes in, so that I could make things zone dependent. I had thought that the Xantech RT1610 router could do this, but is only used for sending.

Thanks,

Gregory

ghaun
August 25th, 2008, 11:57 AM
The beauty of not having individual remotes, is that my wife can simply pick up a single remote and have it perform the respective action depending upon where she is. If she wants to change the volume, etc...it will be done for that room. Very easy to use.

jon1977
September 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Hi,
Just wondering whether you got this sorted, as i'm also after a similar solution.
With thanks
Jon

blubberhoofd
September 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM
sounds to me like the IgorPlug USB driver could be adapted for this.

you might want to ask Igor Cesko (designer of the Igorplug devices and drivers)

this is his site: http://www.cesko.host.sk/
(contact info is on the bottom of the main page)

ghaun
January 20th, 2009, 10:12 AM
All,

I got this working. I created my own firmware for the devices with different serial numbers and then created new plugins for each device. I then created a schmitt filter circuit to allow a hard connect to A0127W keypads. Now, I can point a remote at the keypad from any room and the incoming zone is known. The keypad buttons also work. The beauty of the A0127w is that they just send IR. Everything sent from the keypad is modulated IR, so I built a circuit and filter to demodulate and feed it to the Atmel AVR.

Thanks,

Gregory

blubberhoofd
January 22nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
thanks for the progress report ;)

It's allways inspiring to see successful solutions from other Girder users.