PDA

View Full Version : Gif Image turns Semi-Transparent

dsmes
July 8th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I have Girder send a GIF image to my CCF which is running on a WinXP machine (NR is v2.0.4.127). Sometimes, usually after NR has been running for >8 hours, the GIF image will turn semi-transparent as in the first attached image. Note the text in the background which is layered behind the pop-up frame containing an image button. After I re-start NR, it appears normal as in the second attached image. The image button has an opaque background but the pop-up state frame where it resides is transparent. If I make the pop-up state frame containing the image button opaque, the problem goes away. That's probably an OK work-around, but I find it strange that it turns semi-transparent in the first place. And its intermittent.

HostV
July 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Maybe reinstalling NR will help you?

Ron
July 10th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I have seen a very rare occurring crash here. Indicating some threading issue. Maybe on your system it manifests is selfs as this. I'm trying to track this one down.

dsmes
July 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by a "crash", but this is not a "rare" problem for me. Rather, it seems to be in the range of hours to days. I wonder if its related to the other problem (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18657) you are investigating for me?

dsmes
January 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I've figured out that this is definitely a NR problem! I'm now at NR build 2.0.20.143 and as I've reported recently, this problem is still with me. What's new is that I've learned that only GIF images fade and ultimately disappear over time whereas JPGs are fine. My latest CCF has GIF and JPG images read from a file from NR Lua code and only the GIF images turn semi-transparent and disappear. As stated in other threads, GIF images sent from Girder to NR will also do this. Ron or Rob, does this spark any ideas?

Rob H
January 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I can't think of any reason for this at all! Can you upload a sample GIF that shows this problem for you?

dsmes
January 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Unzip the attached into your NR folder. Hopefully I did the ZIP right and it added a "Knots" folder which contains 12 more folders. Open the CCF and here are the steps to reproduce this problem:

Click on the Dilbert button. At first you'll see a "Retrieving the ..." message as the Lua goes off and scraps the Dilbert site for today's comic. Then a pop-up window of the GIF comic image will appear (and look normal).
Click on the "Knots" button and then click the "Rol'nHitch" button (2nd from the far right row of buttons). You should see a red rope being tied onto a green rope.
Now click the "Status" button. This page contains a MarcelUtils: Bar Chart component which is what triggers the GIF images to fade & turn semi-transparent.
Click the "Knots" button. Notice how the green rope is now orange (as if the screen ran out of blue ink). I suspect if the CCF layering didn't have a bright background just under the image, it would look more washed out. Notice in the bottom right of the page that this is a GIF image. By clicking some of the other knot menu buttons, you'll see that JPG images are not affected by this problem.
Finally, click the Dilbert button and notice how the GIF image has turned semi-transparent as you can see the text behind the image.

I've reproduced this on three different WinXP machines so hopefully you too can reproduce the problem. Note that I've had this issue for years so it's not unique to this NR version, CCF format type, or drv_marcelutils.dll version.

Rob H
January 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hmmm... I can't reproduce this under Windows 7 so far. Am I supposed to do anything with the bar chart component?

dsmes
January 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I CAN'T BELIEVE you can't reproduce this!!!!!!!!!!!
No, you don't need to do anything with the bar chart component. Just opening the page its on is enough. If I delete the bar chart off that page in NRD, the problem goes away. BTW, do you have the MarcelUtil dll installed and plugin enabled (I had to ask...;) )?

Can someone else please try this on a WinXP machine and report back if you can reproduce this? Many TIA.

Rob H
January 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I'll try it on XP tomorrow as soon as I get a chance

dsmes
January 13th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks Rob. I just installed NR v2.0.20.143 on a virgin WinXP-SP4 machine along with the MarcelUtil plugin from here (http://www.promixis.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4748&d=1208590310) (link from this thread (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17302) post #1) and got the error illustrated here (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showpost.php?p=118509&postcount=187) when NR starts which says it can't find the drv_marcelutils.dll (even though it's there). I also tried the dll of post #192 here (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8304&page=20) and got the same error. When NR installed, I saw it go off and install mfc71u.dll and msvcr71.dll but noticed msvcp71.dll and gdiplus.dll were missing from C:\WINDOWS\system32 (a dependency listed in post # 192). I installed these from the web and it didn't help (although they could have been the version or for a different Win version).
I also did a fresh install of NR on a virgin Win2k machine and ran into the same problems and tried the same things in the MarcelUtilsDriver thread but couldn't get it to work.
Just tried a fresh install on a Vista machine... same problem.

If there is no instance of MarcelUtils plugin enabled in the NRSettings | Plugins, the problem goes away. BUT, living w/o this plugin is not an option for me. There's a lot of wonderful things it can do! Clearly, something broke along the way if fresh installs no longer work. Ideas?
--------------
edit- Just realized gdiplus.dll is only needed on Win2k. I also tried the drv_marcelutils.dllfrom Marcel's web page and it still doesn't work.

dsmes
January 14th, 2010, 07:58 AM
OK, I got the MarclUtils plugin to work on the WinXP machines by using the dll from this post (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showpost.php?p=127231&postcount=55). Specifically the one from win32_drv_marcelutils.zip. With it, all the MarcelUtils features work but jumping to any page with a bar chart will corrupt the GIF images on all other pages.

Rob H
January 14th, 2010, 08:00 AM
My apologies, that plugin was missing after all - I was looking in the wrong folder.

I can reproduce the issue under Windows 7, now I just have to try to figure out what the hell is going on!

Rob H
January 15th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Can you try this build of MarcelUtils?

mhwlng
January 15th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Hi Rob,

I'm not sure what source code you've been using to recompile the plugin and what errors you found ?

I assume the source code from this thread ? :

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17302&highlight=sdk&page=6

I stopped working on any further plugin development, waiting for a solution to painting problems reported with the new SDK in november 2008

That's why I never updated the plugin on my download page.

I've been running nr with an old version of lua.dll (21/08/2008) and a plugin compiled with the old sdk

Marcel

Rob H
January 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Not sure how old the version is that I have, but the key thing was there is a call to SetTextColor() in the paint code for the BarChart. I'm still not 100% sure why it's happening, but saving and restoring the old text colour for the device context fixes the problem. I'll see about maybe saving that before calling any driver paint code.

Can you point me to the thread in question regarding the painting problems and I'll see what I can do? That must have slipped through the cracks.

You should be linking against nrlua.dll as well.

mhwlng
January 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Rob,
I did just point you to the thread in the post above...

Marcel

Rob H
January 15th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Oh, sorry, hadn't realised it was reported in there. No wonder I couldn't find it, there's 28 pages in that thread! :)

dsmes
January 16th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Can you try this build of MarcelUtils?When starting NR, I get an error window that says "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the applica..." and inside the error box it lists the full path of drv_marcelutils.dll.

Rob, see post 12 for a link to the version that I am using. Note that the link to MarcelUtils on the official NR2 thread does NOT work (the link works, not the dll).

mhwlng
January 16th, 2010, 02:16 PM
dsmes, see my comment above
to use marcelutils (build date from 2008), just copy lua.dll (I use one from 21/08/2008) from an old netremote version into the netremote directory

works ok for me...

Marcel

Rob H
January 17th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Will try to get a new build and new SDK out this week if Ron can fit it in.

dsmes
January 17th, 2010, 12:41 PM
to use marcelutils (build date from 2008), just copy lua.dll (I use one from 21/08/2008) from an old netremote version into the netremote directory
MarcelThe drv_marcelutils.dll that prompted my recent discovery here was created 9/20/2007 (when I mouse over the dll) and was modified 5/19/2008 according to Windows. The lua.dll was created 12/30/2006 and was modified 8/21/2008 (same as your version). To be clear, for these file dates, all the MarcelUtils work but GIF images get corrupted if I switch to/back from a page with bar charts (the bar charts work fine).

@Rob- This does remind me of when I upgraded to the newest version of NR on my work computer with a circa 2007(?) version of NR. During the install, I got about 25 error boxes saying "the file you are installing is older than the one presently in use" or something like that. They were all dll files. I don't recall if I clicked "OK to overwrite file" or "keep the newer file" during the installation. I mention this since versions seem to matter.

dsmes
January 25th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I lost track of who has the ball here... Does Ron need to produce a new SDK so Marcel can generate a new dll so that Rob can continue providing his outstanding support?

mhwlng
January 26th, 2010, 02:06 AM
dsmes

as I wrote above:

I stopped working on any further plugin development, waiting for a solution to painting problems reported with the new SDK in november 2008

Marcel

Rob H
January 26th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Yes, currently waiting for Ron to have enough free time to do a build of NR and a new SDK.

dsmes
February 13th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hi Ron, Do you have an ETA on this?

dsmes
March 1st, 2010, 07:00 PM
It has been a while so I thought I'd ask again and make sure Ron acknowledges this is on his "To Do" list.

dsmes
March 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM
It's been over two months and no acknowledgment of progress towards a solution. Since Marcel has been waiting 16 months (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showpost.php?p=139515&postcount=15), does this mean support for NR has ended?

Rob H
March 19th, 2010, 05:47 AM
No, it just means that Ron hasn't been in the office much lately to do a build.

He did manage one build, but I found a problem with it.

dsmes
March 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM
Good to hear. Glad there's been progress. Thanks for the feedback.

dsmes
April 29th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I saw mention of a new NRD build pending. Will a fix here be included?

Rob H
April 30th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I believe I've fixed this one, yes.

dsmes
June 7th, 2010, 09:56 PM
If you'd like to know for sure if your fix works, I'd be more than happy to test it for you. It seems a bit unusual for a new revision of NR to undergo months of testing without including folks in the development group or customers with known problems in the testing. What is different this time? And without sounding too pushy, why is it taking so long?