PDA

View Full Version : Does Girder support the TI103-RS232 x10 interface

jumbodogs
July 22nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Hello all, just trying to figure out if Girder supports the TI103-RS232 x10 interface. I did some searches for it but nothing came up.

Rob H
July 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
I'm not familiar with that device - do you have a URL for it?

jumbodogs
July 22nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Forum won't let me post a link because I only have 1 post so far. If you google TI103-RS232 you can see it.

Rob H
July 22nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
I don't think we have anything that can talk to it, unless it can emulate a CM11

dsmes
July 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
There are application notes on ACT's website that bprovide enough info to write a serial driver. Sending commands looks real easy but to receive, you need to continuously poll the receive buffer for new messages. That was kind of a turn off for me which is why I haven't written a driver. It seems dumb that a serial device like this wouldn't sent some message that says "new X10 message received" so you could use that to trigger reading the receive buffer. Oh well...

jumbodogs
March 6th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I recently got a powerlinc controller and have been trying out some tests with this. This device from what I have read online and info I got from others doesn't seem to be as powerful as the Act TI103.

For example I ran some other software for a month and never had a problem with lamp post or walkway lights coming on. ( using act TI103 ) When I use the powerlinc I can turn on my lights but not off which from what I hear its easier to send on then it is to turn off.

How much work would it be to get act TI103 working with girder?

I hear people talk about getting filters and stuff but seems like people have enough trouble with x10 as is so I am thinking I would like to start out with a strong interface and go from there.

jumbodogs
March 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Should I repost this in girder 5 forum as that is what I would like to use it with. I was also wondering would it be possible to use the generic serial plugin to get the Act TI103 to work?

jwilson56
March 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I know that some interfaces have slightly less problems but if you are experiencing X10 ghosts with any interface then no matter what you use it will not be reliable as things will change down the road. That is why they sell the X10 filters. Many newer electronic devices tend to suck X10 signals more so than devices did when the X10 protocol was first invented. Some things such as TV sets, UPS, Computers, Monitors and surge protection power strips are some of the worse but I have seen even small things like my Oral B Flosser drag X10 signals down in the mud.

For reliable X10 use I suggest that you have an active coupler at the electrical panel as well as an Elk X10 meter that will display the X10 signal level at the power line in any location around the house. This way you can be effective at treating the offending devices and keep your wife happy with your home automation hobby.You will never had a reliable X10 setup without at least some filters IMHO.