PDA

View Full Version : Communication between Girder instances over the Internet

hchrisrose
July 31st, 2008, 10:18 AM
I am a newbie so this is probably a dumb question but all I am trying to do is pass commands from a pc at my house to a pc at my apartment so that I can control the DVR cable box at my apartment. Now I already have Orb2.0 and USBIRT working just fine to change channels etc BUT I would like to be able to access the programs recorded on the cable box and of course Orb is not set up that way. I am sure you could do this using the Web Browser interface on the apartment Girder but I was thinking that there must be an easier way that uses Girder to Girder comms. I understand though that Girder2Girder only works on a subnet. I figure I could use VPN of course but I would rather avoid going that route if possible.

Are there easier options I am not aware of?

Chris.

harleydude
July 31st, 2008, 11:17 AM
I had this working between my house and office PC sometime ago. I was sending caller id notification from my house to the office.

I opened up port 20005 on both my routers and forwarded them to the pc's running Girder. The only problem I had was that my house IP address would change frequently and I would have to change the configuration on my Office pc to reflect the new change.