PDA

View Full Version : VLC question...

rajivdallas
August 29th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Hello,

I am a newbie, so please excuse if this is a dumb question.

My goal is very simple..I am using my laptop connected to my HDTV as a media player for hi def video and use the remote control to simply pause/play or fwd and rev video - thats it! I am prepared to physically get up and play the files.

I have a X10 remote (MR26A) and have got it to work with Girder and have mapped a key for being able to play or pause VLC media player...It works like a charm *except* for this weird behavior!

My dilemma is - I like playing back the video files in VLC using the "Full Screen" mode...this avoids the Windows status bar and the VLC window (with its slider control) on the screen as well...In full screen mode, I get a clean screen with video only. NOW, when I play the video in full screen mode and try to pause and then play the video, the application is NOT responding!...HOWEVER, when I go back to VLC playing in a *maximized* window (with the annoying statusline and the slider), the pause and play works like a charm. Why is that the case??? Why is Girder not routing the pause press when the VLC window is in Full screen mode?

I would truely appreciate any expert help from this forum!

BTW, as a side note request - At this stage of being a newbie, I am not trying to get into a keypress to launch VLC and also select files - that would be the olympic games for me :-) If anyone has any advice on how to get that far, I would truely appreciate it.

Thanks
Rajiv

Rob H
August 29th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Try targeting the foreground window for the VLC commands.

rajivdallas
August 29th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Try targeting the foreground window for the VLC commands.

Thanks Rob, but please excuse the ignorance on my part...I am quite technical, but new to Girder so I am learning...

May I ask, how I can target the foreground window when I am mapping my keypress to the pause/play function?

Rob H
August 29th, 2008, 12:13 PM
How is VLC being controlled? Is there a GML that you're using? Presumably that has actions for pause and play - it's those that need to be targeting the foreground window.

rajivdallas
August 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Rob,
I am at work, so I can go home and check...I am sure its a GML...I took the VLC definition that comes predefined out of the box in Girder and assigned the Play/Pause event with my remote key...that is the limit of my playing at this point.

Now the question is - what does one need to do in the GML to make those events target the foreground window....I am a newbie, but if this GML file can be edited in Text like an XML file, then what commands do I need to add to target the foreground...OR is there something in the GUI which allows me to do that....My profound apologies if this is somewhere in the manual...if so, simply point me there.
Thanks
Rajiv