View Full Version : Where do folks find their graphics?

September 3rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
While I'm sure many here are talented enough to design their own graphics, I'm betting many are like me and have to scour the net find buttons, skins and the like.

Wondering if folks have found good sources they'd be willing to share?

September 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Well I used to borrow them from the skins that have been uploaded as well as google'n for images then editing them to my needs. I then started to learn to use Photoshop and did some of my own. Its pretty easy to create buttons with all the tutorials on the web.

I have always suggested that Promixis develop a graphics library like Cinemar and CQC has for Netremote. It would go a long way to provide support for people.

Good luck

September 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
A library is a great idea...

Rob H
September 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
I would definitely recommend the use of a vector graphics program like Xara Extreme 4. It's pretty straightforward to use and certainly a lot easier to get to grips with than e.g. Illustrator. It's also considerably cheaper and provides one or two features that Illustrator doesn't.

I agree that a library of graphics is something that would be very useful, and that's one thing that's starting to happen with the component library in NRD 2.0, although that's very much in the early stages at the moment.

The problem with providing libraries of graphics is that you can't please everyone e.g. my latest CCF uses black glossy buttons, but I doubt whether they'd be to everyone's taste. So you have to provide several variations of button style in various sizes, and that all takes time (or money if you employ a graphic artist).

September 3rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
I simply designed my own buttons and backgrounds in Photoshop. It's a little time consuming, but in the end the time you spend learning the process saves you later on when you want to change something.

In my case for instance, I'm going for an iPhone-like theme on my PPC. I'm using a black background and iPhone-like buttons that are customized to my particular applications. I learned how to make the buttons through various tutorials online.

The one thing I've discovered while building this CCF (my first one) is that simplicity is KEY, and honestly, being able to make my own buttons on the fly has been crucial in this effort.

September 3rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
One other note. I decided to go the iPhone route because I felt adventurous enough to tackle the job, but I have seen some GREAT CCFs that simply add text to semi-transparent buttons. I'd love to give credit to the author, but I don't remember who I got it from. A CCF called "Flatstyle Music and DM.cff" was very well done, which basically uses the same button throughout the entire interface.

Rob H
September 4th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Flatstyle is a Promixis CCF supplied with NetRemote.

Nice job on your iPhone style CCF

September 4th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Rob -

Rather than the burden being on the folks at Promixis, maybe something community supported? Not the ccfs, but the image/button sets that folks have created?

Just a thought...

Rob H
September 5th, 2008, 02:46 AM
That would be great and is definitely something we would want to encourage - preferably using the component gallery to add an extra level of functionality over just plain graphics. But I wouldn't want that to put people off.

September 5th, 2008, 06:36 AM
That would be great and is definitely something we would want to encourage - preferably using the component gallery to add an extra level of functionality over just plain graphics. But I wouldn't want that to put people off.

I don't think that would put people off of the product. In fact, I think it would do quite the opposite. I'm sure that there are many, myself included, that would be willing to contribute towards the library.

September 5th, 2008, 06:39 AM

I also used to gather my buttons from others ccfs. I have however created a set of my own using Inkscape which is open source hence free vector graphic package. There are some fantastic tutorials for Inkscape on the web including glass buttons etc. It took about 3 evening for me to start producing some cool buttons.

September 7th, 2008, 07:48 AM
i've been using a program from www.crystalbutton.com it allows you to make all sorts of buttons with pressed & unpressed effects, its easy to use and lets you export as a transparent png....

for icons & images see www.iconspedia.com - some of them are free for personal use ;)

October 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I use Photoshop, but for buttons and icons you can't beat a little program called Button Shop. No, I don't work for them or get kickbacks from them.

I downloaded the demo from Kristanix Software and actually wound up paying the $40.

Unbelievably easy and fast buttons and icons. You can knock of a button in 10 seconds that which would take you 15 or 20 minues in Photoshop.

Having said that, I am also more than happy to participate in a button/icon sharing group.

October 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I too wouldn't mind sharing buttons and other images etc.

A central library where we could donate images would be great stuff.