PDA

View Full Version : axim51v and netremote

sirbooker
September 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM
has anyone had a problem where you are using netromte on the x51v and it just closes down (netremote) that is.
under settings/memory
program 52.42 total
in use 20.78
free 31.64
now i load netremote
in use 34.80
free 18.34
after clicking on a few different panels > music music library
in use 40.50
free 11.79
then i am looking at my music library by artist then by albums
then i might go to my receiver panel and netreomte will just disappears shuts down gondy bye bye..........
this happened for quite a while and i have not used nr for awhile
due to the frustration of it all.

i have reload wm6 several times and tried different versions of nr cab files
as well as some of my ccf files.

i am at a loss here and was hoping for some ideas what to try next.

regards
paul. :confused: :confused::confused::confused:

Rob H
September 27th, 2008, 04:49 AM
What version and build of NR is this?

If it's the latest one then we may have to look at the image caching.

sirbooker
September 27th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Rob
yes i am running the latest version of netremote on the ppc

thanks paul

yamy125
September 28th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Is crashing on me quite a bit also. x51v and latest NR. Normally when under quite a lot of 'load' I guess I would put it - for example when browsing music or on pages that use feedback - i.e. receiver page. I can't replicate the crash though and it's been running quite well for the last few days aside from some feedback state change issues I'm having. I've also noticed NR appears to be staying open in memory when exiting quite often and requires a forced close.

Rob H
September 28th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Hmm... that's very strange - anyone else having the same problem?

Perhaps one of the recent builds has brought this about?

Do you run anything else on these Axims apart from NR?

yamy125
September 29th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Mine is 100% for NR and nothing else running in memory. I'll have a decent play with it this week and see if I can replicate the crash in any way.

yamy125
September 29th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Ok, this is one error I'm getting quite a bit on the axim and this usually happens just before the crash (although no crash tonight when it appeared). While selecting the Music tab I get a window popping up headed "Failed DIB Create" and containing the message "Not enough storage is available to process this command.". There is an ok button top right and on clicking ok it appears to proceed as normal, but is normally a sign of a crash ahead.

There is a bunch of storage available on the device but not much ram free. Total: 49.40MB, In Use: 40.75MB and Free: 8.64MB. Nothing else running except NR.

Could this possibly be due to too much music? :) I do have a lot. hehe.

Rob H
September 29th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Right, sounds like the images aren't being freed at all.

If you run the same CCF on Win32 does the memory usage also keep going up?

yamy125
September 29th, 2008, 06:36 AM
It's fine on my windows xp laptop - runs a heap faster and no crashing and feedback 100%.

I just left the axim running for the last two hours (was fine when I left it) came back and it had crashed out to the today page. That was without any user activity on the device or any other client unit in the house (we were out of the house during this time).

Cheers

yamy125
September 29th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Sorry, in answer to your question, XP ram usage for NR with the same ccf is about 30MB and stable after the initial load of NR.

Rob H
September 29th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks for that - it gives me an idea where to look.

sirbooker
September 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Rob
i to am seeing the same thing as what was stated in post #7 of this thread.

Regards
paul..

davidsetton
September 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM
My pocket pc is crashing also when running netremote with the latest build.

David

Rob H
September 29th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Just the latest build or did it do the same in earlier builds?

yamy125
September 29th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Earlier builds also. Thought I was alone and wasn't using NR much (just a couple of demo's) and only recently purchased.

Music control had always given me quite a bit of trouble so didn't use it too much on the axim. I'm using a ccf made up mostly of new-pro_480x640.ccf including the Music page if that helps.

Cheers

Rob H
October 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Can you find and post your NetRemote.log file from the PPC?

Rob H
October 1st, 2008, 12:43 PM
Oh yes, is anyone else with an Axim X51V not having this problem?

Also, is anyone with another make/model of PPC having the problem?

yamy125
October 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
Hi Rob,

Attached current log. On this boot everything looking ok except for light button variables I mentioned in another thread (but not exactly the main issue here). Some of the lines in the log look interesting.

Not sure if it helps, but for this log I launched NR, fired up my Vista Media Centre which powers on amp etc, then flicked on a couple of C-Bus lights (no feedback for variables, but probably due to startup load), then went to Media Library and started playing some music (library list took forever to load, but once again, probably because of new boot as it normally isn't that bad) then flicked a light on and off again.

Cheers

rpalmer68
October 4th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Oh yes, is anyone else with an Axim X51V not having this problem?

I'm using an X51V and it's rock solid.

But I'm still on 2.0.1.124.

I do have a spare x51v, so I might try running 2.0.5.128 on that and see if I have problems.

Richard

Rob H
October 4th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Hi Rob,

Attached current log. On this boot everything looking ok except for light button variables I mentioned in another thread (but not exactly the main issue here). Some of the lines in the log look interesting.

You're certainly right that some of those lines look interesting. Particularly the number of occurrences of "Could not kill specified timer". The one that concerns me the most is "Girder] Buffer allocation failed.".

There are also a few socket failures with Mediabridge that don't look good an may point to a networking issue.

sirbooker
October 4th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Rob
i have attached my netremote log file as well for you to review
thanks paul..

Rob H
October 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Again interesting with all the "Could not kill specified timer" messages and a fair few socket failures, particularly around 7AM. But no messages at all between just after midnight and then.

Any idea what happened at around 7AM? Perhaps someone using a microwave?

sirbooker
October 4th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Rob
nope but the coffee pot !!
i was also playing around with the ppc hard buttons they were not responding i think ?
paul

yamy125
October 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
yea, also having issues with non-responding hard keys - just tried then as I have the up and down arrow on the music page set to control my Denon volume through Girder, but not working any more and double-checked all setting were correct. Think this has only become an issue with latest release.

yamy125
October 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Again interesting with all the "Could not kill specified timer" messages and a fair few socket failures, particularly around 7AM. But no messages at all between just after midnight and then.

Any idea what happened at around 7AM? Perhaps someone using a microwave?

What are the "Could not kill specified timer" messages about Rob?

I've changed my wireless channel to try and improve things but doesn't appear to have made any difference. Strange thing is the AP is only a few meters away and is a Cisco 877w which is rock solid with everything else (PC's etc.).

I'm thinking about trying WM6 as people have reported vast performance gains over WM5, which really seems sluggish with NR on the axim x51v.

yamy125
October 5th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Just playing with hard keys on music page and all seems good again - might be related to the wireless network issues I'm having when it didn't work before.

Cheers.

P.S. Upgraded axim to WM6.1 and performance doesn't appear better at this stage, with nr performing about the same.

Rob H
October 5th, 2008, 06:08 AM
What are the "Could not kill specified timer" messages about Rob?

That's a very good question - unfortunately the function that logs that message is called from several places, so it's hard to tell which of them is the problem :(

And if I change the method signature of KillTimer it will break all plugins.

Rob H
October 5th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Rob
nope but the coffee pot !!
i was also playing around with the ppc hard buttons they were not responding i think ?
paul

Sounds like the relevant thread - possibly the main thread - was busy doing something else at the time. Did on-screen buttons respond?

dsmes
October 6th, 2008, 08:56 AM
That's a very good question - unfortunately the function that logs that message is called from several places, so it's hard to tell which of them is the problem :(

And if I change the method signature of KillTimer it will break all plugins.Rob- On two different NR clients (WinXP), I see a flood (2-3 dozen) of the "Could not kill specified timer" in DebugView whenever I click on a CCF button that does a page jump. I hope that helps track it down.

Rob H
October 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Ah, right - some of those may be from the ElementAnimation and or FramePopup code, both of which use timers and are probably trying to kill the timer. There may also be some internal calls as well.

They're probably not significant in that case :(

I'll still check them out though.

sirbooker
October 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM
still having problems on the axim51v
just updated nr to 207.130
i was playing around with my music and then nr just disappeared
attached is the log file
Regards Paul.

sirbooker
October 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
i am still having problems
attached is my nrlog file

paul

yamy125
October 25th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hi Rob,

Any more thoughts on this Axim reliability? I'm continually getting "Failed DIB create" messages on screen stating "Not enough storage is available to process this command." and overall the Axim x51v NetRemote experience isn't exactly a good one. Seems some days it works then others everything goes wrong including NR crashing and just generally performing poorly on the device (browsing music list takes minutes to load, Girder variable feedback stops working, hardkey issues, generally slow...).

I don't have any issues at all on my multiple XP based touch screens (nothing special - just old Stylistic C-500's).

So I guess what I really want to know, is there any hope for the x51v, or should I start hunting for something a little more powerful? I certainly don't want this to sound negative, I just want to find a device that works properly with NR.

Cheers

yamy125
October 26th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hi Rob,

Any more thoughts on this Axim reliability? I'm continually getting "Failed DIB create" messages on screen stating "Not enough storage is available to process this command." and overall the Axim x51v NetRemote experience isn't exactly a good one. Seems some days it works then others everything goes wrong including NR crashing/freezing and just generally performing poorly on the device (browsing music list takes minutes to load, Girder variable feedback stops working, hardkey issues, freezing, crashing and just generally slow).

I don't have any issues at all on my multiple XP based touch screens (nothing special - just old Stylistic C-500's running over wireless also).

So I guess what I really want to know, is there any hope for the x51v, or should I start hunting for something a little more powerful? I certainly don't want this to sound negative, I just want to find a device that works properly with NR.

Cheers

Ron
October 26th, 2008, 06:42 PM
We have not forgotten about this bug, Rob and I have spoken about the bug and looked through the source to find out where this might be located but we have not yet been able to pinpoint it. To make sure it doesn't get lost please file this bug in our bug tracker

http://promixis.com/tickets/list.php?project_id=4287&milestone=0

That should keep this bug in the loop.

yamy125
October 27th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Thanks. I've logged ticket re issue.

yamy125
January 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hi all,

This issue didn't seem to be getting anywhere so I decided to play around a bit. I found the following Lenny L11 WM6.1 release for the x51v and it has been great for the last two weeks for me (not one failure or error and perfect feedback/functionality).

http://forum.htcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=542 (hope this is ok to post mods - please remove if not)

I suggest anyone having issues on their x51v and Netremote tries this - it has made a basically unusable device great!

Cheers

Rob H
January 14th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Thanks for that - any idea what the fix is? Is there more free memory available for example?

yamy125
January 17th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hi Rob.

Fairly certain it has more free ram as you say. Mine is showing 16.41MB free at the moment (has been running fine for 3+ weeks now) and I'm sure with my old OS it used to get down below 8 very quickly.

Cheers