PDA

View Full Version : The best starting point....

Solosid
October 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
hi all,

which would be the best...or easiest ccf to use to start my own project.

or would it be better to start from scratch...

where did you veteran girder users start...

i am using 2 19" touchscreens and a nokia 770

i am good with photoshop & corel for the design side of things.

the thing that panics me now is the thought of the music player...that seems a mine field.

my display driver says its using 800x600 but when i design in this size it comes out about 4/5th the size...any ideas...

cheers for now

Mark

ps. its like bingo balls...which question will come next....

Solosid
November 3rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Hi All,

I was reading another thread about respond times in different CCF's
and thought....

"So is it important which ccf you start with depending on which
kit you will incorporate"

I have started using the 'flat style' and changing images...sizes... positions etc, but the codes are still the same

I have read that this is slower!

does this mean it may respond slower? different?

I'm currently using JRMC12 (can upgrade to 13 for free)

I'm also using Vista Premium with the patched remote desktop

I also have a Nokia 770 to use as a Mobile Control Unit

So which CCF should I start with.....

Cheers

Mark

jwilson56
November 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Well I have always started with another CCF and basically re-skinned it with my graphics and maybe moved things around to my likes. My Now Playing 2008 was based mostlty on the Flat CCF and it seems that we have sorted out why the new-pro_480x640.ccf was faster for browsing. The Flat CCF can be a bit overwhelming for some beginners. The new-pro_480x640.ccf is a bit more manageable. Both are a good start. I have certainly added my own functionality to what I did use from Flat but I have done a few of these in the past.

It all comes down to what you want to do. The Promixis products can handle a broad range of needs. I for one have a total home automation and whole house music system. Netremote coupled with Girder 5 will give you all the tools you need to do pretty much anything you can dream up. Its a slow learning curve but be persistent and ask questions.

I always tell people to start with the hardware side of their projects taking care that what they choose will also be supported by the software they want to use. But the total design will often dictate how this will be laid out on the NR panels (number of zones, lights, ect).

Don't try to do something from scratch. We all started by copy and pasting. Its the greatest form of flattery when what you have done is used by others to inspire them or at the very least help them to learn.

Personally I would use 1024X768 for your display as it will give you more space to place things. Now Playing 2008 is done at the resolution as well as the Fkat CCF. I always place an invisible button that will stretch NR into the full screen mode so don't worry about that at the moment. Just make sure that the properties for your CCF is set to 1024X768.

Again for the music portion the Flat is a good example. Just start by moving things around to your taste and learning to change the graphics for the buttons with NRD.

Solosid
November 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hi John,

Cheers for that...I thought I was spending hours 'rehashing' the 'flat style' and I have to start again...

I have used 1024X768 as my starting point for the Elo's

what would you (in your experience) expect a finished ( I say finished!!) CCf file size to be with music, lights, security, automation, tv, dvd, radio, weather, phone be approx of course!!

my average button size is 35KB which when you consider I work in 200-800MB files seems OK....

I have done very little work on most of the pages and its at 2.4MB...does that seem OK??

Cheers

Mark

jwilson56
November 3rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
The latest version of Now Playing 2008 is 1.3MB and you can check the screenshots in my showcase to see what it all has in it. One thing to do is to check out the new Image Picker which tells you how many references to each image there are as well as a chance to see all the images loaded. Make sure there are none you don't want and if so track them down and get rid of them.