PDA

View Full Version : Remarks/Feature Requests

VSDomotics
October 27th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I spend some time on this new NRD version and have the following remarks and requests:
Remarks
1). Although you can maximize the size of the Tree View fonts, the space the line takes stays the same.

2). When you first click on one of the items of your CCF and the Panel is not positioned on the left top (also sliders not totally up and left) the screen flashes (moves shortly left and up and returns to selected position). This behaviour alread existed in previous version. The result is sometimes unwanted displacements of items.
Of course this only happens when the panel is larger than the displayarea (always the case with my CCF even if it is only 1024 x 768 on a 17" 1440 x 900 widescreen laptopscreen); especially because the automatic appearing icons to the left and top take extra space. Resizing is no option because it deforms the fonts and makes everything worse readable.

3). When the whole page is viewable (switched off all the toolbars and autohide my Windows startmenu-bar) the sliders are still present. When they would disappear, a lot more workspace is added.

Rob, I wonder if you have only tested with smaller CCF-pages. Perhaps it's an idea to test a big page and see what happens.

Option request:
1). Shortcut for 'Toggle State', 'Bring Forward' and 'Send backward'.

2). Is it possible to have the option to add toolbar-choices to the menu? Things like copy and paste already are in both the menu and the toolbar but Toggle States f.i. are not. This way I can switch off the toolbars but are still able to use these options.

3). When there is only one ccf opened, the tab with the ccf-name (left-top) could disappear. This saves another centimeter of workspace.

Rob H
October 27th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I spend some time on this new NRD version and have the following remarks and requests:
Remarks
1). Although you can maximize the size of the Tree View fonts, the space the line takes stays the same.

That is definitely a bug - I can confirm that.

2). When you first click on one of the items of your CCF and the Panel is not positioned on the left top (also sliders not totally up and left) the screen flashes (moves shortly left and up and returns to selected position). This behaviour alread existed in previous version. The result is sometimes unwanted displacements of items.
Of course this only happens when the panel is larger than the displayarea (always the case with my CCF even if it is only 1024 x 768 on a 17" 1440 x 900 widescreen laptopscreen); especially because the automatic appearing icons to the left and top take extra space. Resizing is no option because it deforms the fonts and makes everything worse readable.

I've tried to fix this, believe me - there's a weird interaction going on somewhere that I haven't been able to trace yet.

Can you give me a screenshot of this font deformation - I can't reproduce it here. I assume you're using TrueType fonts? Do you have ClearType font smoothing on?

3). When the whole page is viewable (switched off all the toolbars and autohide my Windows startmenu-bar) the sliders are still present. When they would disappear, a lot more workspace is added.

Both sliders? In that case the whole page isn't viewable (including the extra whitespace at the borders.

Rob, I wonder if you have only tested with smaller CCF-pages. Perhaps it's an idea to test a big page and see what happens.

My main CCF is 1280x1024, so I have tested it with a big page.

There are already shortcuts for Bring Forward and Send backward - PgUp and PgDn respectively - they should be shown on the menu I agree. I'll see about one for Toggle State.

[quote]
2). Is it possible to have the option to add toolbar-choices to the menu? Things like copy and paste already are in both the menu and the toolbar but Toggle States f.i. are not. This way I can switch off the toolbars but are still able to use these options.

Not currently no - I'll see if it's possible.

3). When there is only one ccf opened, the tab with the ccf-name (left-top) could disappear. This saves another centimeter of workspace.

I don't think the component used permits that I'm afraid.

VSDomotics
October 27th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Screenshot 1 is where my panel fills the workspace. Here the sliders are still present.
When I click 'Zoom to fit', there appears a large white border around the page. Then the sliders disappear (screenshot 2).
To give you an idea how much valuable workspace I loose (when I want to get rid off the sliders), I projected the white border on my page (screenshot 23. You can see I loose about 25%! I think it should be possible to keep more workspace without the sliders isn't it?

I tried the PagUp and PageDown buttons; I can't move the position of the items. The focus only changes to another position on the Tree View. What am I doing wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to look for solutions for my remarks.

Rob H
October 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM
The PgUp and PgDn keys only work when you have the right hand pane focused I'm afraid, otherwise the treeview's keyboard handling takes over.

The border is always there of course, you'll notice the crop marks at the corners of the actual page area. This serves two purposes: it allows you to see any frames that are outside the page area, e.g. if you're using sliding frames, and it provides extra space for the floating context-sensitive buttons.

I don't see any font deformation there. Can you be more exact?

VSDomotics
October 28th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Is it possible to make shortcut keys who are working in the Tree View. This is obvious the place where you want to use them.
Also a toolbar buttons for these functions are ok. Then I can customize a bar and keep on clicking the button (forward/backward) until the frames and buttons are in the right place.

Can't you reduce the borderwidth or make the sliders hidable in one or the other way? At least the bottom slider is the most important to me to get rid of.

By deformation of the fonts I mean the effect when you decrease the picturesize of native format (like a 1024 x 768 picture on a 1024 x 768 LCD screen) to a smaller size. The picture pixel to screen pixel ratio is than other than 1:1.
This is the same effect when you put you laptops screen to another resolution than the native one. You get what I mean?

I'll wait and see what you can do the coming time. As I said before, the size/position box is the most important to me.

Rob H
October 28th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Personally, I'd prefer to get drag and drop working in the treeview, that would be even better.

The pixel ratio should still be 1:1 - it's linear scaling ie both x & y dimensions are scaled in the same ratio. Obviously the number of pixels used to display the page is going to be different, but when I implemented zooming I was pleasantly surprised that everything still looked pretty good.

VSDomotics
October 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I agree, Drag and Drop is the best. I did not want to be greedy. :)

Solosid
November 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
In light of Kjetil's recent trouble is it possible to have an automatic backup system in place..

on all the design software packages I use. I can control how often and where the auto backups are saved to.

granted this annoys me when I'm working but I know how much work goes in.

Cheers

Mark

Rob H
November 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Kjetil was using an older version of NRD which didn't implement the failsafe mechanism.

Even an automated built-in backup is no substitute for a proper backup regime.

But I'll give it some thought.

jwilson56
November 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Personally I would rather have Promixis spent their limited time adding useful features. I have created several skins and spent hundreds of hours working on them over the years and have never lost any work. Whats so hard using Save As and using a number in the filename as you work on your project. Then spend a couple minutes a day copying that work to a thumb or network drive to safely back up your work. This includes your raw image files. This is just common sense for anyone working with computer files. All the auto backup system in the world are not going to help if you have a hard drive failure.

People should have had to use Tonto to create a CCF and if so they would love NRD.... lol

Solosid
November 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
All my files are backed up manually and automatically to various locations

nothing is actually saved on the PC I'm working on...its used as a station

I was just thinking of other people that aren't disciplined enough to have measures in place.

cheers

Mark