PDA

View Full Version : Girder with Mobile Edge MEAP03 PC Media Remote?

WesR
December 29th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Does or can Girder support the Mobile Edge MEAP03 PC Media Remote?

If not, perhaps another small-size RF remote control device? Looking for something that can conveniently accompany my laptop when I am traveling light.

I guess I am asking if the the design approach used in the Mobile Edge product is susceptible to the kind of interventions that can be accomplished with Girder. If so, is special programming needed? If so, has someone created a plug-in for such a remote control?

Please advise if this is the wrong forum ... I'm a newbie here.

Rob H
December 29th, 2008, 05:34 AM
To be honest I have no idea whether it will work or not - if it shows up as a HID device then it might do, otherwise it will need a plugin to be written.

I tried to have a look at the FAQ and manual for the device but the URLs on the Mobile Edge website were bad.

WesR
December 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks Rob.

Could you tell me if this line of Girder-newbie reasoning makes sense?

On another site I learned that this remote control simply does the equivalent of pressing the keys that are accelerators for three popular predefined software packages. I am guessing that the RF receiver connects to the USB port and looks like a keyboard device to the computer.

I notice in the Girder manual that there is the ability to react to keyboard events, so this makes it likely that I could use Girder without a special plug-in if I wanted to do something like, say, program another media player. I could translate the key presses into different key presses to control that media player or, perhaps, find a plug-in in the Girder library to send the actions to the player.

Thanks again.

Girder looks like one of the cooler toys I have seen in a long time -- not to make light of its potential to create practical applications -- it is nice to see something organized from the get-go for event processing.

Rob H
December 29th, 2008, 12:22 PM
That does make it sound like it's either a keyboard emulator or a HID device, so there's a good chance it will work.