PDA

View Full Version : Installation Drawings How-to

VicVonDoom
January 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM
thought these might help out...

All drawings assume you are using JRMC for multizone playback & a multizone soundcard such as the m-audio delta series
The pc runs JRMC & MediaBridge controlled from a pocket pc or touchscreen monitor...
Network connections have been left out for clarity :)

one zone per amplifier

VicVonDoom
January 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM
A quick way to play the same thing in all zones (use ir to switch the input source of the amps to aux/cd/whatever you wired the 1:4 distributor into)

VicVonDoom
January 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Using an 4x4 AV matrix - play any zone into any or all amps

Solosid
January 5th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Hi Jim,

So what your saying is 1 Amp per zone regardless of inputs?

more inputs give more options to different outputs?

cheers

Mark

VicVonDoom
January 5th, 2009, 09:51 AM
not sure i follow you, which drawing?

Solosid
January 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
well all of them really...as they show seperate amps per feed?

Mark

VicVonDoom
January 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Yep. unless you have a multi zone amplifier (which is basically two+ amps in one box)

Solosid
January 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Hi Jim,

Is it possible to use active speakers on a feed from the PC..?

Cheers

Mark

jwilson56
January 5th, 2009, 12:17 PM
The problem with using 'active speakers' for each zone is that you would then have to send 'low level' audio signals to each room which is not a good idea.

Its common sense to think that if you want each zone to be playing a separate track at the same time that you would have to then have a separate sound card for each zone as well as a separate amplifier or receiver for each zone. How you matrix the inputs is up to you and really does not change the fact that you will still need x number of sound cards and amps for x number of independent zones.

Solosid
January 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
thanks for that John...

I thought that...just wanted to check

Can you put inwall volume controls after the amp?

Whats the best way to set the volume...on the amp?...i've noticed if the amp volume is to low, the range in the NR gui slider is limited

is it a case of 'trial and error'

cheers
Mark

jwilson56
January 6th, 2009, 07:41 PM
thanks for that John...

I thought that...just wanted to check

Can you put inwall volume controls after the amp?

Whats the best way to set the volume...on the amp?...i've noticed if the amp volume is to low, the range in the NR gui slider is limited

is it a case of 'trial and error'

cheers
Mark

Again... for my setup I do not use the soundcard software volume control (they are set to about 80%) but rather use the receiver's own volume control which is controlled via IR from Girder with the Ocelot SECU-16IR by hitting volume up and down buttons on my NR touchscreen. If you read my showcase you will see why I didn't install LPAD type volume controls in each room. Besides the whole point in having a touchscreen interface is to select and control you music from it and not have to walk up to a wall to play with the volume.

VicVonDoom
January 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
My setup differs slightly from johns...

The way i set up my volume levels is like this...

1. Turn your amps down to min
2. Turn all your JRMC zones up to about 95%
3. Slowly raise the amp volume to what you would consider suitable party volume
4. Leave your amps set to this volume & walk away
5. Use the the volume slider in NR to control the volume in JRMC and don't use the amp volume (i.e. control the audio signal going to the amp rather than the speakers via amp volume)

But then I don't have any other sources on the amp so don't really need to control it directly.
How you do it is up to you...

RE: inline volume controls - don't bother as you have all the volume control you need via NR.

RE: long line level cable runs - not a good idea as the audio level from your soundcard is 1V at full volume. A long run WILL result in signal loss (by the time the audio signal gets there it'll be way under what it left the source at, so there will next to nothing for the amplifier to amplify)

Amps ALWAYS close to the audio source and speaker cable of suitable capacity run to your remote speakers. Don't scrimp on the speaker cable - buy the thickest you can afford. Two drums will help with installation (left spkr & right spkr) & save you time buy pulling two at once rather than retreading your footsteps, most wholesalers will discount per/drum vs per/m... 90 got me 2 drums of GOOD cable and wired the whole house with a bit to spare...

VicVonDoom
January 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM
i used this speaker cable http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/jy-189/high-quality-189-0-10mm-transparent/dp/CBBR6316?_requestid=234808

jwilson56
January 7th, 2009, 05:59 PM
i used this speaker cable http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/jy-189/high-quality-189-0-10mm-transparent/dp/CBBR6316?_requestid=234808

Is that made for in wall use? Be careful with codes.

Solosid
January 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM
hi Jim,
this is the cable i used..100m reel 50

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=51

looks much the same...so happy now

which 1010 would you go for.... break out cable {cheaper one}

or

the one with the rack mount bit?

bidding on both on ebay....

cheers

Mark

VicVonDoom
January 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I use the rack mount version.
There are some drabacks to it though.

It means another 240v plug socket (whereas the internal version is powered from your pc)
It uses mono jack sockets as audio out (these are more expensive than phono to phono cables)
It takes up room in my beautifull rack.
It gets hot.
It costs more.

The internal version won't look as neat when you come to wire it up due to the multiway snake hanging out the back of your pc...

Supptoyou!

Solosid
January 9th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I like the '1 tool for 1 job' motto

so rack mount it is..

my new rack is the cupboard...and it has its own fans and power fingy

Cheers

Mark

Solosid
January 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Right...Just brought a M Audio 1010 Rack mount

How do you set up your zones in NR?
do you click a button to new page where you can control that zone..on off volume mute input etc

How do you control the volumes for each zone is it done all on one page, seperate pages(as above), or one volume slider which switches with the zone button in the 'flatstyle'?

Cheers

Mark

VicVonDoom
January 11th, 2009, 04:34 PM
easy peasy. But you need to physically have the pci card installed the rack mount bit connected & the correct drivers loaded (see maudio's site for latest version)

Postup when thats done....

Solosid
January 11th, 2009, 05:28 PM
OK..... will do....

what does <^> mean is it the main name of the frame and everything looks for this for guidance....

Cheers

Mark

Rob H
January 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM
<^> is the name of the parent frame. Using this "relative" or "hierarchical" notation makes it much easier to rename a whole load of frames or buttons in one go. The name is resolved at page load time, and whenever NetRemote.Rebind is called.

You can also name an element based on the current value of a NetRemote variable - suppose the variable was called abc and had the value "Kitchen"

A button with the name <abc>\Lights would end up being called Kitchen\Lights.

Note that if you use the <> notation in a string in Lua code, then it's important to use [[ and ]] as the string delimiters

Solosid
January 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM
easy peasy. But you need to physically have the pci card installed the rack mount bit connected & the correct drivers loaded (see maudio's site for latest version)

Postup when thats done....

sorry Jim, let me rephrase...

how do you prefer to control your zones...from one page...? one page per zone....?

cheers

Mark

Solosid
January 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hi Jim,

M Audio 1010 installed, vista drivers installed, icon in taskbar

no interconnects yet... can you post a link to the correct type?

what speakers would you recommend? ideally small & not rectangular
have looked at Antony Gallos..but would have to take it steady buying them...

Cheers

Mark

Solosid
January 15th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Hi,

Are these the interconnects I need?

http://www.inta-audio.com/pp/Cables_and_Connectors/Jack_to_Jack_Cables/6.35mm_Jack_Stereo_Plug_to_2x_Mono_Plugs_2m.html

cheers

Mark

Solosid
March 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hi All,

how do I use the s/pdif on my Delta 1010?

what cables do I need?

can I treat it as another zone?

cheers

Mark

Solosid
March 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Right,

delta 1010 all connected.

speakers to 4 rooms connected

amps on

JRMC all zoned up

....no bl@$dy sound

any advice

cheers

Mark

VicVonDoom
March 28th, 2009, 05:21 PM
lets get the silly ones out the way...

1. Have you got the yellow light on on the i/o box?

2. Right click the maudio icon in the task bar & open up the mixer, Play something in directly from JRMC (not via NR) - Are the levels in the maudio mixer 'Dancing'?

3. check your amp is on the correct source (if you plugged the audio into "Aux" you need to be on sourced to "Aux" obviously ;) )

4. check the 6.35mm Mono jacks are plugged into the bottom row of 1-8 audio OUTS & not the UPPER 1-8 audio INPUT'S on the maudio..?

Solosid
March 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for response....

sorted it the MAudio was set to outputs 1&2 to inputs 1&2 etc I changed this to 'sw rtn' and there was music everywhere....

How can I use the 'SPDIF' ... you have mentioned previously that you have it 'looped back'?

what does that mean?

cheers

Mark

VicVonDoom
March 29th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I have a second video card that has two monitor outputs on it. Monitor 1 is a vga out that i attached my touchscreen to. Monitor 2 is a HDMI (not a DVI) output.
HDMI carries both audio & video on the one cable allowing us users to plug in one cable to our tv's and have all our signals connected.
However, the pci bus in my pc does not carry any audio to the video card so it is not available at the HDMI out. To overcome this the video card has an digital audio input on the rear (SPDIF in).

By taking the Maudio's SPDIF output & plugging it back into the video card's SPDIF in ('looping back'), it puts the audio into the video card...Voila, full hdmi signal out of the HDMI socket on the video card!

I don't use the SPDIF out via JRMC as a zone.
I use it as the audio output for zoomplayer (you can pick which output to use in zoom in much the same way as you would in JRMC)
Being a digital signal allows you to set it up in zoomplayer to quite a few 'types' of audio signal i.e. standard stereo, Dolby 7.1, DTS etc... to suit your needs....

jwilson56
January 28th, 2010, 11:29 AM
My setup differs slightly from johns...

The way i set up my volume levels is like this...

1. Turn your amps down to min
2. Turn all your JRMC zones up to about 95%
3. Slowly raise the amp volume to what you would consider suitable party volume
4. Leave your amps set to this volume & walk away
5. Use the the volume slider in NR to control the volume in JRMC and don't use the amp volume (i.e. control the audio signal going to the amp rather than the speakers via amp volume)

But then I don't have any other sources on the amp so don't really need to control it directly.
How you do it is up to you...

RE: inline volume controls - don't bother as you have all the volume control you need via NR.

RE: long line level cable runs - not a good idea as the audio level from your soundcard is 1V at full volume. A long run WILL result in signal loss (by the time the audio signal gets there it'll be way under what it left the source at, so there will next to nothing for the amplifier to amplify)

Amps ALWAYS close to the audio source and speaker cable of suitable capacity run to your remote speakers. Don't scrimp on the speaker cable - buy the thickest you can afford. Two drums will help with installation (left spkr & right spkr) & save you time buy pulling two at once rather than retreading your footsteps, most wholesalers will discount per/drum vs per/m... 90 got me 2 drums of GOOD cable and wired the whole house with a bit to spare...

Missed this.... well there is a good reason I don't use the soundcard volume control. I use the built in tuners for each receiver I use in each zone. Since they are not going through the sound card the volume is controlled at the receiver so it is just better that they be controlled via IR. Works for me