PDA

View Full Version : Mapping Combined Keystrokes as an event string. Arrggghh. . .

Willie
January 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I guess I must be obtuse. I have read the help files but I still do not understand how to map combined keystrokes in the event editor.

I would like girder to send a specific IR code out through my USB-UIRT when a specific keyboard combination is pressed; in this case I want to switch my Denon to a different output. I can do it now with a single keystroke using the event device keyboard mapping.

Is it possible to use the the keyboard mapping event device to create an event string that is a combined keystroke such as Crtl+b? If it is, how is it done?

Thanks,

Willie

Willie
January 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Bueller?... Bueller?... Anyone?... Bueller?

Ron
January 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Create an action with the IR code you like to send.

Enable the Keyboard plugin

Make *sure* that the keyboard events are being logged (File->Settings->General->Event Logger Settings, Keyboard checked)

Close Settings

Open the Log (F4)

Press Control+B on the keyboard, not in the log which even corresponds to the control-b keypress.

Drag and drop that event onto the action.

Edit: Who is Bueller?

Willie
January 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Ferris Bueller's Day Off; it is a reference to a scene in which a teacher is taking role.

Thanks,

Willie

Thanks for the help. The tip in the manual was to use the event generated in the middle. However, with 4 events generated it was unclear to me which one until I recognized the difference in the numeric sequence.

mjoa
October 20th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I find this very confusing. I am trying to do a similar thing but when I press ctrl+b it creates 4 seperate events in the log and I can't group them together in any way to create one single event for my action.

I'm using the trial of 5 thinking about upgrading from 3 but this seems so much more convoluted than it was in 3. Before I could just create a keyboard event and type ctrl+b into the dialouge box. Then when I hit those two keys on my keyboard it triggered the action. Am I missing something?

Ron
October 20th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Here is a trick:

* Open the Logger
* press Ctrl-b
* You'll see a few events roll in. Find the event that looks like: 4200C00 <DOWN>
* Now drag and drop that event from the logger onto the action!

How do I know what event to pick. Well the <DOWN> part is easy. The C denotes that control was pressed. And if you press b on the keyboard you'll notice that the first to numbers are 42.... so combine all that to find the event you need.

mjoa
October 20th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Ok, I get it now. I wasn't looking closely enough and did not realize that one of the events was an actual combination of the two keystrokes.

Thanks!