PDA

View Full Version : Multiple USBUIRTs. Possible?

jon1977
April 2nd, 2009, 06:44 AM
Simple question, hopefully simple answer.
I currently have 1 USB UIRT.
I would like 3 more in seperate rooms run over USB/Cat5 extenders to get a real benefit out of my system.
Lots of posts refer to a driver rename tool utility that enable multiple USBUIRTS, but I have searched on this and the uSBUIRT forums and not come up with anything.
Before I shell out of the devices and learn the hard way that it does not work. Has anyone set up with more than 2 (and ideally more than 4) USBUIRTS and got it to work ok and can explain what I will need to do.
With thanks
Jon

Rob H
April 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
You need a special version of the driver (and possibly the Girder plugin - I'm not sure), for this. Currently this is only available from Jon Rhees the creator of the USB-UIRT.

Best to email him on the USB-UIRT support address.

jwilson56
April 2nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Why not an Ocelot and SECU-16IR. It would be easier to wire the IR cables than USB over Cat5. You can pick up used ones pretty cheap and the Girder Ocelot plugin works great.

You will have 16 IR channels.

Its what I use for Nowplaying

jon1977
April 5th, 2009, 05:46 AM
This is the reply I got from Jon at USBUIRT.
He was happy for me to add here:
Maybe add as a general file download or sticky if appropriate?

Jon,

Girder 5 can be used with Multiple USB-UIRT's: as follows:

1. Each USB-UIRT will appear as a separate device in Girder.
2. For each additional USB-UIRT (besides the first unit), you will need to use one of the attached drivers. For each driver, there is a .dll file and a gui xml file. The gui file needs to be placed in the plugins/ui folder and the dll in the plugins folder. The driver must match the ID number assigned to the USB-UIRT in step 3 below.
3. Each additional USB-UIRT must be 'renamed' to a new ID. This can be done with the uurename utility (www.usbuirt.com/uurename.zip)

Best Regards,

Jon

jon1977
April 5th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Why not an Ocelot and SECU-16IR. It would be easier to wire the IR cables than USB over Cat5. You can pick up used ones pretty cheap and the Girder Ocelot plugin works great.

You will have 16 IR channels.

Its what I use for Nowplaying

Hi,
How do you deal with multiple IR inputs?
I have my main media room with netremote running on a touchscreen for the fancy stuff, but I have the vision of multiple generic remotes which can be used in any room and girder knows which room the signal originated from. i.e. bedroom / kitchen / bathroom etc. and it can then send outputs depending on what source is running etc.
Ideally I need a multiple IR input unit and a multiple IR output unit all individually addressable in girder for sensible money (having said that, USBUIRT's and a cat5 extender is going to cost me 80 per room)
I had thought of using different or universal generic remotes and something like the SKY SLX extender (which I currently use for my media centre), but I'm thinking that cross room interference is an issue between buttons.

This must be a common conundrum (or however it is spelt!) for others, I'd be interested what others are doing as a setup.

Cheers
Jon

Rob H
April 5th, 2009, 06:40 AM
That depends on whether each USB-UIRT driver uses a different device id for the events it generates.

If you're using IR mapping then the device id will be ignored though.

The only ways to be sure are asking Jon again, or actually trying it.

I'd be tempted to use different remotes in each room or at least different universal remotes programmed to generate different codes. That way you could test them all in one room with a single USB-UIRT.