View Full Version : NetRemote & Girder communication

June 26th, 2009, 10:33 AM

I have two instances of Girder and one instance of NetRemote.

Girder 1 is running on a server that manages several tasks, this machine is always running.
Girder 2 is running on a HTPC and it manages video/audio application, this machine is started from netremote.
NetRemote is communicating with both Girder instances.
But I've a problem, since Girder 2 is started from NetRemote, the communication bridge is not done.
I've tried the NetRemote command "force reconnect" but it seems that's not received. But the command is well received on Girder 1 (I've two separate "force reconnect" commands)
Closing and reopening NR solves the problem but it's not really satisfying.

Any idea?

July 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Nobody can help? :(

Rob H
July 1st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Must have missed this one, I'll take a look tomorrow.

I think I have seen the same thing happen here, but not every time.

Rob H
July 2nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
I've had this happen here just today, on one machine out of two running NR. The other one detected the restart from hibernation without any problem. However, I'm fairly sure that I've also seen this before on the machine that made the successful connection.

I have a horrible feeling that this is going to be a tricky one to track down :(

Incidentally, I did note that Windows itself (Vista) didn't include the restarted server in the Network neighbourhood either although it was accessible using the \\ name.

What OS are you running NR on?

July 4th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I'm running XP SP3 on the NR machine and the machine which is started via WakeOverLan.

Rob H
July 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Does it always fail to detect that the server is connected?

July 6th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I don't really remember, but I think it fails most of the time.

Rob H
July 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
It's on my list of things to investigate.

July 6th, 2009, 11:18 PM
On the same machines I've another program (Stardock multiplicity) that alllows to share the keyboard and the mouse on both computers (TCP communication). It's connecting well as soon as the HTPC is started.

Rob H
July 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I'll see what I can dig up on this once I've fixed another major issue.

Rob H
July 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Can you try something for me?

Create a new GML on the server, and add a NetRemote|Send variable (all) action to it. It doesn't really matter what the variable name and value are (I used 'testing' and 'abc'). Then from the logger drag a Girder|OnResumeAutomatic or OnResumeCritical event to that action.

Save the GML.

Now try stopping and starting the server - it's certainly made a difference for me - if it works for you I'll update NetRemote.lua to do the same thing.

July 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Hey, it seems to work! Stopped/Started four times and it seems to be ok.

Rob H
July 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure that it's 100% there yet, but it definitely seems to help considerably.

July 9th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Some news, it works fine when the HTPC resumes from the stand by/hibernate state. But when starting from the cold state the workaround fails from time to time, but that's far better, before it was failing almost the time.

Rob H
July 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Hmm... that is very strange. If starting from cold I would expect the normal mechanism to work, ie the network should be available. Sounds like NetRemote isn't detecting that Girder is there at all. Does a force reconnect work then?

July 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM
No, as stated in the first post "force reconnect" is not helping.

Rob H
July 11th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Not even when starting from cold? I'll see what I can dig up.

Does the copy of Girder show any NetRemote clients connected?

What network hardware and motherboard chipset is on the server?