PDA

View Full Version : I Miss My Automation...

NeoMorph
June 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM
For the last few years I have been using Girder/NetRemote in my home until recently I managed to lose the hard drive of my server, my Xbox Media Server and when I went to get my backups on DVD they were corrupt (Zip files must have been corrupt when I backed them up).

So now I walk into the living room and pause, still waiting for the system to detect me and then I realise the darn system is still not working.

Moral of this story is "MAKE MULTIPLE BACKUPS AND CHECK THEM THOROUGHLY"... I'm now left with developing a system that took me 2 years to write. Oh well, maybe I can make it better than it was. At least I managed to salvage some of the code from the backups.

Oh and here is another hint... Write full notes with your backups. Some of the stuff I wrote I can't figure out what I was doing lol.

So Ron and Rob... be prepared for more stupid questions from me as I re-write my new system... ;)

dsmes
July 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Next time, share all your wonderful CCFs and Lua code and you'll automatically have a backup in the NR "cloud";)

Good advice on backups. I swear that with all the antivirus and indexing services running in the background, hard drives wear out quicker.

NeoMorph
July 26th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I had planned to share them but found my system very dependant on my home made electronics which would make them expensive to duplicate.

Also the darn thing had recurring glitches which locked up Girder after reboot a lot of the time... locked up sooooooooo badly that the damned thing couldn't even be shut down with Task Manager and the box had to be physically turned off and then on to reboot as the soft reboot would just hang waiting for Girder to shut down.

Losing most of the code seems to have removed a lot of the bugs too. I managed to find a really old backup that is only working at like 30% of my old system (and XBMC isn't working very well at all at the moment) but in my spare time I'm starting to get there. I think this time I will try to finish the darn thing, publish how my system works and then include the CCFs and Girder files even if they do have a few bugs left in. Who knows, someone will find the bugs for me. Also this time I'll finish the XBMC CCF that was only partially working before the hard drive crash. It worked but at times was really buggy with the music lists drilling down the folders. Drilling down was OK but it lost your place returning back up.

reeven
July 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Use Acronis next time....

NeoMorph
July 27th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Don't need Acronis as my ReadyNAS has mirrored hard drives which means if one hard drive dies then the other one is fine. I just remove the duff one and replace it with a blank drive and the system automatically resyncs the volumes... all without having to turn off the NAS. Hot swapping is great! :)