PDA

View Full Version : help, just starting

mpg732
July 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Hello, I just DL the demo of netremote. Im trying to decide if im going to use this or stick with mainlobby. What I'm finding is that netremote software is very glitchy. For an example, I can not always edit the text field for a button and or frame. I have to save it and some times exit and reload the editor a few times before it will alow me to chage the text lable of buttons and or frames. I would like to know if this is a common problem. Second and this is my main reason for this post is that I have created master template. On that template I have a few buttons that are set to jump to other pages. However when I click on the buttons in netremote, nothing happens. Any ideas on why? If I delete the master template and add navigation buttons on the home page and other pages that I have created, it works fine. Its only when I have a master template.

thanks
Mike

Rob H
July 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Sorry you're having these issues.

What version of NetRemote Designer do you have installed?

There shouldn't be any issue with editing the name of a button or frame.

Re the template issue, that's definitely not a known bug. Can you email me the CCF to rob.h <at> promixis.com and I'll see if I can reproduce it here?

mpg732
July 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
im using 2.0.0.13 for neremote designer. I am useing the demo. Could that be a problem? I will try to get an email off as soon as possible.

Mike

mpg732
July 11th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Some times when trying to change the name of a button or field, I click on and open the text field box. I can change the text to what ever i want, but there is not an "ok" or "canceled" button on the bottom. All i can do is escape out of it.

mpg732
July 11th, 2009, 07:16 PM
im also haveing problems getting the button beep to work. I set it for a button, but get nothing when i click on it. sound works for windows functions as well as for zoom player.

Thanks mike

Rob H
July 12th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Some times when trying to change the name of a button or field, I click on and open the text field box. I can change the text to what ever i want, but there is not an "ok" or "canceled" button on the bottom. All i can do is escape out of it.

Now that really is strange, I've definitely not seen that happen here.

Does it matter which font you are using for the button?

Rob H
July 12th, 2009, 06:10 AM
im also haveing problems getting the button beep to work. I set it for a button, but get nothing when i click on it. sound works for windows functions as well as for zoom player.

Thanks mike

I'll take a look at this one - I don't think I've used the beep function for a long time...

... okay it looks as though this is implemented using the Beep() function on Win32 which as far as I can tell only works on the motherboard speaker - if there is one. It will probably work on Windows CE since there it uses the PlayNote() function.

If you want a sound played for all buttons then assign the path of a .wav file to NR.ActionSound - that sound will then be played before the actions are executed. If you only want sounds for individual buttons then use one of the Play a sound actions from the Advanced Controls plugin.

If you need more help please do ask.

mpg732
July 12th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will try what you suggested about the sounds. As for the other issues, just so you know, I'm running it on windows media edition that has just recently ben reloaded. All I use this machine for is running Mainlobby and for video playback. At this time I'm not having other issues with windows. So I don't believe its a virus or add-wear issue. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and re-downloading the software. The issue still comes back from time to time. As for the font and font size, right now I been leaving it at the default settings. I'm also having issues with saving changes to an exciting file. Some time I will get an error and it wont let me save. Im not by the computer right now nor do I remember exactly what the error is. I can not save it to and existing file nor can I do a "save as". I have to close the program and reopen it, losing all the changes I made. So for now I just save often, lol

Guys just so you know I'm not complaining about issues. I really like what I have seen. I think I'm going to drop Mainlobby and use Netremote. It seem to suit my needs better then Mainlobby. Also alto cheeper and easier to set up, lol

Thanks for you help,
Mike

Rob H
July 12th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Glad you've not let the issues you've seen so far put you off.

There is a known issue with some edits causing a problem with saving, however, the specifics haven't yet been isolated. As soon as I can reproduce the error here I'll fix the problem.

I wonder if the two issues are related? e.g. the being unable to save and the name editing issue. Or can you still save even after not being able to edit a name?

mpg732
July 13th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Have not ben able to link to two issues. The one thing that may be an issue, even though I don't see how, is that the PC I'm ruuning the editor and NETREMOTE on is set to 800x600 for normal use. The low res makes it hard to use the editor. So after I increase the res on the computer seems to be when I have the issue not be able to change the button lable. I then have to close down the editor and reopen once or twice and it seems to work fine. Also I found why I had issues with the master template. I was useing a frame as a backdrop. I gues frames on master templates might be a problem. I was navigating but couldn't tell because the frame always covered the buttons on the pages. For now I used a button for the backdrop and it works fine. Is there a better way to insert a grafic to be used as a backdrop?

thanks,
Mike

Rob H
July 13th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Are you changing the resolution while NRD is open?

Did you have the frame in the master template or the master template overlay? The template goes under the page and the overlay sits on top. It certainly sounds as though you had it in the overlay to me.

mpg732
July 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I was in the master template. Only the Frame does this, if i take the frame out of the master template the nav. buttons work fine and I can then see all the buttons I have placed on each individual pages. . When I created the master template, I sent the frame to the back. I then added a few navigation buttons on top of the frame. When I save and go over to netremote, I see the buttons I added to the master template as well as the frame used for the backdrop. When click on the buttons, it takes me to the appropriate pages but the frame from the master template is covering all the buttons on the page. If i change the frame to a button on the master template then all works as I need it too. The frame remains in the back ground.

I've tried changing the resolution both ways, seems to still cause problems. This doesn't happen all the time and its the only thing I have to work off of right now. LOL

Rob H
July 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I would need to see the CCF to see if I can reproduce it here. Can't think of any reason for it to do that though.

It's a very common technique in CCFs e.g. the FlatStyle CCF uses it, so I certainly would have expected to see this before.

mpg732
July 13th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Ok I must behaving the worst luck. Tonight I set up mediabridge. Got it working, started to work on my pages, went to save got an error and now NETREMOTE locks up when loading. I have uninstalled and reinstalled netremote, creator and media bridge. Netremote still locks on load. Any ideas?

Mike

Rob H
July 14th, 2009, 05:19 AM
If you rename the CCF that it's trying to load then NR should load up and ask for a new CCF to load.

Can you send me the CCF that's failing and I'll try to see what's up with it.

mpg732
July 14th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks that worked for getting Netremote to work again. The CCF file was one I just started to create, so no worries on getting it to work.

Mike

Rob H
July 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM
If you still have the bad CCF it may still be useful in making NR more robust.

mpg732
July 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Sorry, I don't. Also on my new CCF, the frame issue I had on the master template is working now. Got things working with my HP PPC. So far all is good, I like what I've seen so far.

Thanks,
Mike

Rob H
July 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Cool, glad you're making progress.

We're always happy to help, so do post if you have any more questions.