PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible

mpg732
July 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I would like to know if it possible, and if its possible with what I got, if not what do I need. I'm running the latest Netremote, girder 3.3 and the USBIRT. I have an IR controlled light switch, that accepts an on, off, preset, dim up, and a dim down commands. I would like to set up an slider that when at 0%, the light would be off, when set to 100% its fully on, and when set to any other setting, the light would dim down or dim up to the appropriate level. If this can be done, can you please help me set this up. Sliders are one thing I've played with. I would be a completely new to sliders, LOL

Rob H
July 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM
That's pretty tricky to do with an IR controlled light unfortunately. In theory it's possible providing you only use NetRemote & Girder to control the light, but if you use the original remote or, even worse, local control at the light switch then it's very difficult indeed.

mpg732
July 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
then what is the best way to do what I want? what kinda of hardware works best to control lights?

Rob H
July 16th, 2009, 01:24 PM
That depends upon where in the world you are - if in North America then probably Insteon but that would also require Girder 5 and Mike C's Insteon plugin.

Elsewhere in the world is trickier.

yamy125
July 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Clipsal C-Bus if in Australia. Essentially you need a two-way system so the system can talk back to Girder.

mpg732
July 19th, 2009, 12:31 PM
thanks for the reply, Im in the USA, so not sure if that will help. lol

Mike C
July 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I would like to know if it possible, and if its possible with what I got, if not what do I need. I'm running the latest Netremote, girder 3.3 and the USBIRT. I have an IR controlled light switch, that accepts an on, off, preset, dim up, and a dim down commands. I would like to set up an slider that when at 0%, the light would be off, when set to 100% its fully on, and when set to any other setting, the light would dim down or dim up to the appropriate level. If this can be done, can you please help me set this up. Sliders are one thing I've played with. I would be a completely new to sliders, LOL

insteon would be a way to achieve this. virtually impossible with IR to track light levels to use a slider