PDA

View Full Version : How to

ldr
August 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hello,

I recently ran across your product while doing a web search on home automation software. The Netremote and Netremote Designer software seem to be exactly what I am looking for. However, when I downloaded the trial version and began to navigate the software. I found that there is a really steep learning curve. That said, I don't give up that easily.. I think I'm in it for the long haul if I can't get over my first hump.

That is how to assign an action to a button... While I know this might sound elementary to some but after reading the manual an viewing the online tutorial video, I still can't get it and its driving me up the wall.

Here is what I am trying to do. During the installation of Netremote, I noticed that the sample remote provided is a template of what I would like to use for my own home setup with a few modifications.

This is where I get stuck. Some of the buttons available on the remote do not have actions assigned to it. If allowed, how do I assign an action to a button on this particular template using Netremote Designer 2?

If anyone has a best practice for newbie type document that would be great if you'd share it with me. Otherwise, can someone get me started on how to proceed with assigning simple actions?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Rob H
August 27th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Select the button - in the property grid, click on the Actions property and the actions popup will appear, add actions to the button and press the OK button to confirm the changes.

mpg732
August 27th, 2009, 11:54 AM
ldr, I myself just went through what your going through. Just bought into Netremote about a month ago. Netremote has not been my first automation software. I have found that each one can have a rather large learning curve. Typically the larger the curve means the more you can do with the software. Just stick with it. Netremote price tag and what it can do has been worth the learning for me.

To get to your problem, what are you really trying to do? What kind of action are you trying to do?

Mike

ldr
August 27th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks, Mike

I will stick it out for as long as I can. I too am not new to home automation. I've been using Mcontrol for quite some time. Recently converted to Netremote and Girder due to the lack of support and unstableness of the Mcontrol product.

That said, I would like to use the sample ccf provided with the trial download in my current home automation setup. With a few button mods, its all that I need to work for me.

Last night I figured out how to add additional buttons and attach actions to the ccf. However, when I go to execute the actions, I get an error in the lua that reads:

Lua (Unknown)
OpenOrClose('MusicFrame');
Error running lua chunk
[string "NRLUA"]:1: attempt to call global `OpenOrClose' (a nil value)

What am I doing wrong?

Rob H
August 27th, 2009, 02:05 PM
You need to load the ElementAnimation script

Go to Tools|Edit Lua script and add the following line

require "ElementAnimation"

Don't forget to save the script.

ddl
August 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Rob,

Thank you so much. It worked!