PDA

View Full Version : is NR still being developed?

maxthebuilder
September 29th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Not much activity here lately.
Sad.

: (

jwilson56
September 29th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Well given the state of the economy that is not too hard to see at the moment. Maybe it is up to us to come up with some ideas that we want to see added. I know I usually work on my project more in the winter. Not sure what I am going to do this winter yet.

Rob H
September 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Work has started on NR3, but NR2 is pretty much feature complete. But bugs will be addressed. Last build of NR2 was at the end of July, so only 2 months ago.

NRD is definitely being worked on too, there should be a new update sometime soon.

maxthebuilder
September 29th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Any hints on new things in NR3?

I personally use NR less and less (unfortunately). Reasons?
PDA's don't look cool anymore.
There are web-based remote control interfaces (e.g. for JRMC) which can be used from a cell phone and pretty much do what NR does (for playback, not home automation. I don't do automation).
VNC software. Why VNC to NR if I can VNC directly to JRMC?
I still do use NR since I am used to it and have a pretty nice looking skin I spent a lot of time designing.
I've been using NR for a number of years (since the times it was free) and probably will continue to use it but if I was a potential new customer I would probably look elsewhere.
Still use Girder. Like it. But again, I could probably do without it since JRMC now has much better native IR remote control capabilities. There's also ByRemote HIP which is free and does everything I need.
I never upgraded from G4 to G5. Why? It's too expensive. Even the weather is for extra money. Why pay for this feature if my LCD TV shows me the weather anyway? (it's internet enabled and allows not only the weather but RSS feeds too)
All this means that NR2/G5 are not up to date (they were 5 years ago but not now).

Sorry.. just letting the steam out.

--max

Work has started on NR3, but NR2 is pretty much feature complete. But bugs will be addressed. Last build of NR2 was at the end of July, so only 2 months ago.

NRD is definitely being worked on too, there should be a new update sometime soon.

Rob H
September 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM
NR3's feature set is not completely finalised yet, but there will be support for layers (NR2 sort of supports layers but only 3 of them - i.e. templates and template overlays). Layers can be moved, resized, rotated and have alpha transparency. All these can be changed at runtime either from Lua or via built-in actions.

I'd like to have support for vector images (SVG at least) and video files possibly.

A simpler plugin architecture is definitely needed.

All this of course requires a new file format - but that hasn't been completely settled on yet.

I would love to be able to make it as cross-platform as possible Windows, PocketPC and iPhone/Touch will be the primary targets (iPhone will probably mean losing scripting which really kills me), but I'm happy to consider anything else that supports .Net/Mono

maxthebuilder
September 29th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Rob - thanks!

Would be great if it'd be possible to use NR not only with touchscreen/mouse but with keyboard/remote-control... i.e. selectable buttons.

--max

NR3's feature set is not completely finalised yet, but there will be support for layers (NR2 sort of supports layers but only 3 of them - i.e. templates and template overlays). Layers can be moved, resized, rotated and have alpha transparency. All these can be changed at runtime either from Lua or via built-in actions.

I'd like to have support for vector images (SVG at least) and video files possibly.

A simpler plugin architecture is definitely needed.

All this of course requires a new file format - but that hasn't been completely settled on yet.

I would love to be able to make it as cross-platform as possible Windows, PocketPC and iPhone/Touch will be the primary targets (iPhone will probably mean losing scripting which really kills me), but I'm happy to consider anything else that supports .Net/Mono

kwaugh
September 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Ok, I know it's a little early to hit the panic button, but this caught my eye:

"(iPhone will probably mean losing scripting which really kills me)"

I'm HOPING that this would apply only to the iphone 'version'? I rely heavily on scripting to do custom 'stuff'.

Could you elaborate a bit on this thought?

Thanks!

K

Rob H
September 30th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Yes, it does only apply to the iPhone version - I couldn't do without it either.

kwaugh
September 30th, 2009, 07:08 AM
That's a relief - thanks!

rkirmeier
September 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Yes, it does only apply to the iPhone version - I couldn't do without it either.

How about creating a NR "server" with VNC intergration? I am thinking of like how VMWARE uses VNC to VMs. You could have the NR server running and ANY device that supports VNC could connect directy to the NR interface. You don't lose any scripting or functionality but open up access to just about any device on the market! You would probably want to create so you could run multiple instances (each on it's own port or display id) so each remote device would have it's own NR instance.

rkirmeier
September 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM
How about creating a NR "server" with VNC intergration? I am thinking of like how VMWARE uses VNC to VMs. You could have the NR server running and ANY device that supports VNC could connect directy to the NR interface. You don't lose any scripting or functionality but open up access to just about any device on the market! You would probably want to create so you could run multiple instances (each on it's own port or display id) so each remote device would have it's own NR instance.

I just don't see the features listed above as a "selling" point to NR3. You need to make it more flexible for more devices and vnc is an open standard. The other thing I think that should be done is more work to help users create interfaces. Maybe templates and great graphics and flexible options.

Rob H
September 30th, 2009, 01:44 PM
That's an interesting idea, I'll have to investigate.

Good point about the templates etc.

jwilson56
September 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I would like to see DM improved in Girder so that you could for example name a switch 'master bedroom' then be able to reference that name within NRD to assign it to a switch from an object library. Basically drop a light switch on the page and select the DM item 'master bedroom' from a drop down list to assign it.

No LUA code for the user to deal with. I have personally been doing my best to 'sell' NR/G5 to HA users and the biggest complaint is the lack of 'ease of use' to create interfaces and way too much LUA coding to handle things. Many times they end up spending much more for CQC which they feel is more robust at creating user interfaces.

One way might be is the idea of using 'wizards' with NRD that essentially would write the LUA code in the background and keep the average user away from it as well as lots of drop down 'objects' with a good supply of graphics to choose from.

mpg732
October 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
I would love to see a graphical library with NR3.

I would also like to see built in batteries indicator level and adjustable timer function to turn off the screen, for those that use PPC and tablets.

yamy125
October 6th, 2009, 04:18 AM
One way might be is the idea of using 'wizards' with NRD that essentially would write the LUA code in the background and keep the average user away from it as well as lots of drop down 'objects' with a good supply of graphics to choose from.

Essential I would think in order for Girder/NR to compete/progress.

This is one big downside. Without a decent amount of programming knowledge, it's an uphill battle trying to achieve even the most simple of automation/integration tasks. On the flip side, it does offer a heap of flexibility in the current form, but the sheer challenge of the lua coding turns many people I have spoke to away the moment they see it.

That and iPhone support, which I see is being looked into seriously. I like the VNC idea to some extent - keeping in mind people also want client based info in NR (battery level indicators etc.) which I'm thinking may be lost if going a vnc-based setup.

kwaugh
October 6th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I understand the thoughts about simplicity, but I hope that whatever is done, it doesn't take away or make it more difficult to customize.

I groused about Lua and the steep learning curve in the beginning, but now I love the fact that I can do just about anything with NR and lua and would hate to lose that capability.

I looked at some other products before I found NR that were easier at first, but were very difficult (or impossible) to do the complex tasks that I enjoy doing with NR.

My 2c...

K

scriptx
October 8th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Great news about an iPhone version. Do you see a future where the middle tier can execute scripts on behalf of the client? This could also enable a thinner client that is more portable across platforms as well. If it still has the capability to kick of scripts on the server, that is great as well as I'll just place them there!

Rob H
October 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
It's certainly an interesting idea and may provide a solution as far as the iPhone client is concerned. Should be fun to coordinate that!

jwilson56
October 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Not quite the same but I use RDP on my Nokia 770 to access a NR client running on my SageTV server (with the multi login hack) and have to say that it performs quite well. Very responsive and full functioning. So I would imagine that if done right this would work out well.

Nexonic
October 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM
So with Netremote I am controlling my win7 media center htpc from my office PC, my UMPC and my phone. I'm really happy. There doesn't seem to be any other affordable software that does this with media center. I guess I'm saying NR is ahead of the curve.