PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - where to start?

michael12345
November 11th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Hi
I am new here, after an hour of reading manuals I'm a bit confused:

I have HTPC connected to home network (both wired and wireless), and I also have Pronto 9600 remote.

I would like to control via network only few operations of my HTPC, including

- power on/off (via LAN wakeup for example)
- start of specific applications (Total Media Theater for blu-ray playback, MPC-HT and Media Portal for movies)
- will probably add some more..

Overall, I want to have a screen inside my Pronto that will be mapped to some network packets, I can program with ProntoScript.
I am not interested in IR/RS232 communication

thanks in advance
Michael

Rob H
November 11th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Well, for a start you need to be in the Girder forum, not the NetRemote one.

You'll need a supported IR receiver of some kind to let the Pronto talk to Girder, I would suggest the USB-UIRT as that definitely lets you wake the PC from standby.

michael12345
November 11th, 2009, 06:54 AM
But I do not want to control the PC with IR.. only via Ethernet
Pronto 9600 has Wi-Fi and I would like to send simple packets to HTPC directly.. or to my Windows Server 2008, which is always on, to control the HTPC

Rob H
November 11th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Hmmm... not sure that anyone has done this yet, but it might be possible using Prontoscript. You'd need to write a simple server app in Girder that listens to a TCP port. Providing you can send the relevant magic packet from the Pronto you should be able to wake the HTPC (this bit wouldn't involve Girder).

michael12345
November 11th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Right.
Which Girder version do I need? Can I use standard edition for that?
Could you refer me please to the relevant documentation to evaluate complexity of the task?
I am software engineer so I assume I can handle given sufficient documentation and examples..

thanks again

Rob H
November 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I think you need Girder 5 Pro for that.

You may want to take a look at this thread which does something similar for AMX/Crestron - the principles should be pretty much the same. It's a bit old, and refers to Girder 4 so there is almost certainly a better way of doing it using the new new transport plugin

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14270&highlight=amx+crestron

There are examples of using the transport plugin in the help file/manual